Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Fox news reports lies again

but this time gets called out on it by a CNN reporter

Quote:
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- A CNN correspondent on Monday angrily rejected a report by the Fox network that he and other journalists were used as human shields by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to prevent a missile attack on his compound.
The Fox story, labeled "exclusive" and posted on the Fox website Monday, said the presence of news crews from CNN, Reuters and other organizations forced a British aircraft to call off firing seven Storm Shadow missiles at the area that already had been hit.
"Officials from Libya's Ministry of Information brought those journalists to the area to show them damage from the initial attack and to effectively use them as human shields," said the Fox report.
According to the Fox story, the curtailed strike "led to a great deal of consternation by coalition commanders."
Nic Robertson, a veteran CNN correspondent who was part of the CNN crew cited in the Fox story, called the rival network's report "outrageous and hypocritical."

Robertson said a Fox staffer was among the journalists on the trip -- a fact left out of the Fox report -- and that the journalists in the group were hurried through their trip by their minders.
"To say it was a human shield is nuts," Robertson said, later adding: "I expect lies from the government here. I don't expect it from other journalists. It's frankly incredibly disappointing."
There was no immediate response from Fox to a CNN request for comment.
The incident involved a trip Sunday night arranged by Libyan authorities to the Gadhafi compound that had been bombed earlier by coalition forces.
Robertson said the 40 or so journalists on the bus weren't told ahead of time where they were going, and that there was no attempt by the Libyan minders to restrict anyone from getting on or off the bus before they left.
Upon arrival, the journalists spent about 20 minutes at the damaged building and then were hurried to a tent where they waited with Gadhafi supporters for him to appear, Robertson said. Gadhafi never showed up, and the journalists went back to their bus and departed, according to Robertson.
A government official even pushed him onto the bus as he tried to broadcast a live shot at the end, Robertson said.
"If they wanted to use us as human shields ... they would have kept us there longer," Robertson said. "That's not what happened."
Robertson noted that the sole participant on the trip from Fox wasn't normally a reporter or videographer, but was given a camera and told to go along. In general, Robertson said, the Fox team in Tripoli rarely goes on the reporting trips arranged by the government.
The CNN team goes in order to get whatever information it can to assess what happened and compare it to government versions of events, he said. Otherwise, he noted, the journalists are dependent on government-edited videotape that likely omits key details.
For example, U.S. officials called the Gadhafi compound a legitimate target because it included command and control capability, Robertson noted.
"We want to go and see: Is it a command and control system? What are the telltale signs there that the government wouldn't want us to see?" Robertson said.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Fox news reports lies again

i think at this point, it'd be more interesting to only make fox threads when they manage to report factual and unbiased news.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i think at this point, it'd be more interesting to only make fox threads when they manage to report factual and unbiased news.
true dat
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
ImmortalD24
Banned

Fox (outside of Judge Napolitano), CNN, MSNBC, ABC, [insert any other mainstream West media] = Trash

CNN pretends to be objective.. but tbh, they're just as trashy as Fox and the like.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
Fox (outside of Judge Napolitano), CNN, MSNBC, ABC, [insert any other mainstream West media] = Trash

CNN pretends to be objective.. but tbh, they're just as trashy as Fox and the like.

Agree. All mainstream media is merely pushing their own agenda. Judge Nap is more of a host and a propagandist than a journalist. Stossel might be a closer to being Fox's closest legit journalist, if you want to consider Nap in that boat. I still hate Fox news.

But I'll watch CNN's Brooke Baldwin anytime! Probably the only person on CNN that I can stand.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I'm all about Al Jazeera English.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
MayCeltics
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Agree. All mainstream media is merely pushing their own agenda. Judge Nap is more of a host and a propagandist than a journalist. Stossel might be a closer to being Fox's closest legit journalist, if you want to consider Nap in that boat. I still hate Fox news.

But I'll watch CNN's Brooke Baldwin anytime! Probably the only person on CNN that I can stand.

only reason i watch CNN. Its doctor recommend a daily intake of Brooke Baldwin does the mind and body good.

Like most of you I don't trust any MSM.

Fox Network are masters of deception. Feux News pits one segment of the population against the other (Divide and conquer). The populous will then be busy fighting each other rather than uniting against the corrupt system. The system stays the same and the culprits run free. CNN too busy reading off twitter than doing any actual reporting. CNN international is however rather pleasant. The only problem its not widely available in the US. MSNBC spends half of times debunking Fox lies. And the other half promoting their Gay Agenda, yes literally. What's up with that prison shit on the weekends? The world doesn't stop on the weekends. Dylan Ratigan is the only semi-tolerable. He exposes the many scams of Wall Street. I like Al Jazeera English professionalism. They don't have any of the fucking nonsense on the other channels just straight news. The best source for middle revolts. I would only be wary when it comes to their coverage of the gulf states. But so far so good, i've been following them for couple of months now.
MayCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
3ptShooter
I usually hit open layups

some of you crack me up. same old talking points over and over, but you don't do any critical thinking yourself.

the fox story actually said:

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: An attack on the compound of Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi on Sunday had to be curtailed because of journalists nearby, Fox News has learned.

British sources confirmed that seven Storm Shadow missiles were ready to be fired from a British aircraft, but the strikes had to be curtailed due to crews from CNN, Reuters and other organizations nearby. Officials from Libya's Ministry of Information brought those journalists to the area to show them damage from the initial attack and to effectively use them as human shields.
The curtailment of this mission led to a great deal of consternation by coalition commanders, sources told Fox News, but they opted to call off the mission to avoid civilian casualties.

The curtailment of this mission led to a great deal of consternation by coalition commanders, sources told Fox News, but they opted to call off the mission to avoid civilian casualties.

they were "effectively" used as human shields, as the british confirmed they were ready to strike but had to call them off.

whether the cnn reporter thinks they were or not, both reports included partial opinions, and the facts actually show the fox report had more valididty behind it. to say it's a lie is asinine (as was the report by cnn actually).

i know, i know... faux troll blah blah blah!
3ptShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: