Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #61
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al All day
They ran the banks after black Tuesday you idiot. AFTER. Black Tuesday is what caused the banks to fail. After the market crashed, everybody tried to go get their money and the banks simply didn't have enough for everybody.

Great insight you stupid ass.


I used the public's run on the banks in proper context...to illustrate that the public at large knew about the recession/depression and impending economic collapse. There's nothing wrong with what I said.
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #62
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,707
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut
I used the public's run on the banks in proper context...to illustrate that the public at large knew about the recession/depression and impending economic collapse. There's nothing wrong with what I said.

And you're still too dumb to realize that isn't the issue. The OP is trying to exhibit the point that the US is going to fall into a depression in the next year and a half and that it will impact the Free Agent situation.

You're trying to exhibit the point that people in the great depression knew it was the great depression because I said they didn't recognize it for what it was.

You can't help but be false. By all accounts the depression basically lasted 4 years, from 1929 to 1933. It was marked by the stock market crash WHICH WAS NOT ANTICIPATED BY ANYONE, or they would have pulled their stocks from the market.

So nobody recognized the start of it until it ended.

As far as bringing up the run on banks, and saying that's recognition that people knew they were in a depression, that's absurd.

Do you have any idea what life was like in the depression? Nobody knew it was a depression until it was over. That's how that sh*t works. When people were IN the depression? Nobody had ever lived through anything like this in the US. Some of them thought things can't possibly get better, they're only going to get worse. The ones who KNEW that things were bad and thought they'd get better? Couldn't have anticipated that it would only last 4 years, because it took a god damn War to get us out of it.

You need to quit hovering over every single word that people say in an effort to try and make them look stupid. It just makes you look like an ass. Pointing out a grammar mistake, or drilling in one sentence that someone said that could have been phrased better doesn't make you a f*cking genius. It makes you a petty little retard who thinks hes smarter than everyone else.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #63
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
And you're still too dumb to realize that isn't the issue. The OP is trying to exhibit the point that the US is going to fall into a depression in the next year and a half and that it will impact the Free Agent situation.

You're trying to exhibit the point that people in the great depression knew it was the great depression because I said they didn't recognize it for what it was.

You can't help but be false. By all accounts the depression basically lasted 4 years, from 1929 to 1933. It was marked by the stock market crash WHICH WAS NOT ANTICIPATED BY ANYONE, or they would have pulled their stocks from the market.

So nobody recognized the start of it until it ended.

As far as bringing up the run on banks, and saying that's recognition that people knew they were in a depression, that's absurd.

Do you have any idea what life was like in the depression? Nobody knew it was a depression until it was over. That's how that sh*t works. When people were IN the depression? Nobody had ever lived through anything like this in the US. Some of them thought things can't possibly get better, they're only going to get worse. The ones who KNEW that things were bad and thought they'd get better? Couldn't have anticipated that it would only last 4 years, because it took a god damn War to get us out of it.

You need to quit hovering over every single word that people say in an effort to try and make them look stupid. It just makes you look like an ass. Pointing out a grammar mistake, or drilling in one sentence that someone said that could have been phrased better doesn't make you a f*cking genius. It makes you a petty little retard who thinks hes smarter than everyone else.

Mathius


Dude you've been wrong the whole time, even prior to black tuesday we knew the economy was slumping. You said we wouldn't notice...we noticed almost 80 years ago!

You shouldn't have said we wouldn't notice, you could have said "we might fall into a depression but it won't affect the FA market"

had you said that I wouldn't have corrected you...but you didn't say that.

The bottom falls out of the stock market, banks are insolvent, there's a bank panic, the economy was getting worse indicated by essentially every metric in which we judge the economy....and you say we didn't notice? We instituted the biggest public works project ever in the US to attempt to recover.

Quote:
After a six-year run when the world saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average increase in value fivefold, prices peaked at 381.17 on September 3, 1929.[12] The market then fell sharply for a month, losing 17% of its value on the initial leg down.

Prices then recovered more than half of the losses over the next week, only to turn back down immediately afterwards. The decline then accelerated into the so-called "Black Thursday", October 24, 1929. A record number of 12.9 million shares were traded on that day.

At 1 p.m. on Friday, October 25, several leading Wall Street bankers met to find a solution to the panic and chaos on the trading floor. The meeting included Thomas W. Lamont, acting head of Morgan Bank; Albert Wiggin, head of the Chase National Bank; and Charles E. Mitchell, president of the National City Bank. They chose Richard Whitney, vice president of the Exchange, to act on their behalf. With the bankers' financial resources behind him, Whitney placed a bid to purchase a large block of shares in U.S. Steel at a price well above the current market. As traders watched, Whitney then placed similar bids on other "blue chip" stocks. This tactic was similar to a tactic that ended the Panic of 1907, and succeeded in halting the slide that day. In this case, however, the respite was only temporary.

Over the weekend, the events were covered by the newspapers across the United States. On Monday, October 28, the first "Black Monday",[13] more investors decided to get out of the market, and the slide continued with a record loss in the Dow for the day of 13%.

More clear indication of impending economic collapse understood by Wall St. and the sitting President!!111!!
omg before black tuesday too...omg no wai!!!!

You're right...I wasn't alive during the great depression...my grandparents were too, but I won't use them as evidence because THEY AREN'T EVIDENCE. I'll stick with legitimate point to point debate.

I don't claim to be smarter than everybody else...I'm not the one that signs every single post like it's a formal letter or some sort of official statement.

Last edited by lolwut : 02-12-2009 at 12:12 PM.
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #64
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,707
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut
Dude you've been wrong the whole time, even prior to black tuesday we knew the economy was slumping. You said we wouldn't notice...we noticed almost 80 years ago!

You shouldn't have said we wouldn't notice, you could have said "we might fall into a depression but it won't affect the FA market"

had you said that I wouldn't have corrected you...but you didn't say that.

The bottom falls out of the stock market, banks are insolvent, there's a bank panic, the economy was getting worse indicated by essentially every metric in which we judge the economy....and you say we didn't notice? We instituted the biggest public works project ever in the US to attempt to recover.



More clear indication of impending economic collapse understood by Wall St. and the sitting President!!111!!
omg before black tuesday too...omg no wai!!!!

You're right...I wasn't alive during the great depression...my grandparents were too, but I won't use them as evidence because THEY AREN'T EVIDENCE. I'll stick with legitimate point to point debate.

That is all sh*t that has been pointed out AFTER THE FACT, you stupid troll! Let me say this one more time. You are WRONG by default.

If people KNEW the market was going to crash they'd have pulled their sh*t out and it wouldn't have happened!

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #65
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
That is all sh*t that has been pointed out AFTER THE FACT, you stupid troll! Let me say this one more time. You are WRONG by default.

If people KNEW the market was going to crash they'd have pulled their sh*t out and it wouldn't have happened!

Mathius


You think the fact that not EVERYBODY knew what was going to happen EXACTLY when it happened means that we didn't notice????? That's a complete non sequitur.


You said we didn't notice...I'm letting you know that we did...that's where you have been dead wrong the entire time. We knew the market was tumbling, and when the bottom fell out it didn't take years, months, or even weeks...there was widespread bank panic within hours.


WE NOTICED! ****. You're dumb.
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #66
YoungRich
Banned
 
YoungRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Memphis Tenn
Posts: 428
Default Re: If US falls into another depression, and Canada doesn't (2010 FA)

no one wants to play in toronto
YoungRich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy