Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Default Re: Coach Thibbs: "When Jordan was playing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    GTFO of this thread, EL!
    You are an absolute moron.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    horseshit - today's rules show that you must be within armslength of your man to stay in the lane, which is 3 feet, since a man's arm is 3 feet long... this is what causes the tippy-toeing we see today because players must constantly be within 3 feet of their man to stay in the lane.

in previous eras, you could stay in the lane if your man was 3 feet outside the paint on either side, and the paint is 16 feet wide - naturally, players didn't have to tippy-toe and could just stand there in the paint.

so you're wrong - in previous eras, you could be up to 19 feet from your man and still stay in the lane, while in today's game you have to within 3 feet of your man to stay in the lane - the rules are in black and white.
    while its true the rules are like that, it has to be factored in that as unfortunate as it is, refs don't always call exactly by the rules

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    1. Your .gif's aren't applicable because defenses today could do the same shit if the offense chose to just clog up the paint. Spacing is more advanced today. Part of this is due to the lack of handchecking making it easier for smaller, more skilled perimeter players
    So what are you are arguing about? lol

Let's recapitulate,

Some idiot takes a quote of thibs out of context, the context being Thibs explaining how the rules change benefited the international players, you know the slow, white, unathletic ones, but somehow that quote proves that Jordan would have it hard today.

Idiots talk how defenses improved, ignoring the fact that offenses also improved.

Then this gem:
    http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/25/55...michael-jordan

i'm gonna quote myself

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange

That article is a bonanza of cherry picking screenshots. Anyone who writes an article trying to prove todays paint is more packed, is in two words, a colossal retard.

Today you have coaches that take away their bigs out of the game, Hibbert and Duncan (huge stupid mistake in my opinion), but nevertheless they did it, because they were to "slow" to protect the paint and somehow the paint is more packed today. The fact that the only angle favoring Lebron in that article is this stupid fantasy that paint is more packed today should definitely end this discussion.

Facts Vs delusion
    And now apparently, "Spacing is more advanced today. Part of this is due to the lack of handchecking making it easier for smaller, more skilled perimeter players" is an argument against Jordan because you know if it it's easier to smaller skilled perimeter players, surely it would be harder for Jordan!

It's almost comical.

Anyone who thinks Jordan would have it harder today is retarded, Period. No gifs necessary.

I usually hit open layups

So Mr. 3ball, you must admit that today's defenders and defensive schemes are simply better and have to put good effort because they CAN'T just camp in the paint like big logs. And they can't just lazily use their arms or hands to stop guys.

Doc said it best himself that they have to move their feet now. Which I think is great.

Also, I think the new defenses actually played a key part in the end of hero ball and the promotion of ball movement. You'd think that those no hand checking rule changes would promote hero ball, but wow look at today. Less hero ball than ever. And "combo guards" like Knight, Jennings and Walker are really looked down upon because of their playing styles despite being able to use the "new rules" to their advantage.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

in the GIF below, look specifically at horace grant under the rim - the rules in previous eras didn't require horace to stay within armslength of his man, so he decides to stop under the rim and camp in the paint, instead of following his man toni kukocs out to the 3-point line in the far corner... as a result, horace is there waiting on MJ, and actually gets there AHEAD of time:

otoh, look specifically at harrison barnes near the far corner below - durant must stay within armslength of barnes to remain in the paint - so durant goes towards the edge of the paint to stay within "armslength", and consequently, he's late coming over.