Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: America is full of materialistic idiots

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    To be materialistic doesn't make your life lack meaning, or purpose, or spirit. You can still enjoy love, friendship, and social bonding while being materialistic. Owning nice things doesn't take your humanity from you.

And in my experience, the people who claim to be anti-materialism are usually just as materialistic as anyone else. It sounds nice to bash consumerism, but are you really going to shun cell phones, tv's, video games, laptops, cars, new silverware, new carpeting, new toilet seats, etc etc etc? I don't see the problem in enjoying those things, even being passionate about enjoying those things. It's amazing that we live in the rare human civilization that has been able to enjoy those things in such abundance. Count your blessings.
    Um watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECi6WJpbzE

That's why materialism is so f*cked up.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    What's wrong with being materialistic? To be materialistic simply means you want new things to help improve your life. Those things might not be NEEDS, but who cares? Do we really need toilet paper? Do kids really need toy cars? No.. but those things make life that much sweeter. I'd rather be in a materialistic society than a third-world society.
    Great post, joe.

Most of the people who have their sh!t together and like the finer thing sin life (those that I know of)
    have their
    Friendships and Relationships
    Hobbies
    Life Purpose/Education
    Character/Identity/Self-Actualization
    Religious/Spiritual
    Fitness
    Entertainment
    Travel
    Sexual Needs
    Rites of Passage (Diploma, Conquering Fears, all that important schtuff needed to become a man)
    type stuff down way before they start to go bonkers on the cars the clothes the special shoerheads with the led lights or that awesome ergonomic chair

It is not bad when it is an addition to your foundation of life. Like ornaments on a strong, sturdy Christmas Tree.

It is a problem when it replaces issues that need to be dealt with. Spontaneous shopping sprees to relieve stress from financial suffering beign one of them.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Money are underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    At least I'm discovering homeboy.

I might not be as complex as you, but I do take pride in learning and having an open mind.
    Learning is great, but I'm not sure how open-minded you really are. Too much confirmation bias.