Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Default Re: Source: Laker's Offer to Odom Reduced

Odom needs LA more than LA needs him.

You can see now that Miami can only offer up to 6-7 million a year for 5 years for Odom. That's much less than what the Lakers have been offering. I don't care how much state tax you can save in Miami; it isn't gonna beat the couple million more Lakers can offer. If the Lakers pull out 8 mil for 5 years for Odom that will beat Miami's offer flat. If Odom wants money he can only get it from the Lakers, and he knows this. He's just trying to bait Buss into throwing a large offer for him that he doesn't need to and Buss is not biting. Hence the prolonged talks up until today.

There is totally no other reason to go to Miami other than to be a starter. Lakers offer more money, championship hopes and signed his buddy Artest for him. And at his age, being a starter is overrated. It's not like he's not getting playing time. Being a high minutes starter is only good if you are young and want to put up high stats to get your next big contract. At his age is best for him to conserve his legs, look fresh and good whenever he plays and not get put into positions where he will be exposed for his weaknesses. That way he will look like a good contributor off the bench when his contract expires and might help him get MLE money when he's 34-35.

And haters saying that Lakers are low balling him should shut up. The Lakers have been generous with their offer already. They just do not want to overpay him which is what Odom is trying to get them to do. Would you want Odom in your team eating up 10 million a year for 5 years?

You can bet he'll be upset if he goes to Miami making less. And the Lakers would be upset too. So why go for the lose lose?
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
hawkfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
This is stupid. What's $5 million? Is there really any difference between 3 years, 27 million, and 3 years, 32 million? There is no difference, from the point of view of ownership. Teams throw 5 year 30 million dollar deals at mediocre players all the time. Why is the Lakers ownership choosing now to be penny pinchers? Odom is the difference between being a contender and being a dynasty. Fork over the extra $5m over 3 years it would take to secure him. Anyway, it can't hurt to show a player like Odom that you consider him valuable enough to break open the bank a little. Again.. it's just a little.

Just curious, what did Luke Walton get?

There really isn't, but management wants to get Bynum more touches and see if Morrison can develop.

Morrison may turn out to be a good player for the Lakers because he is a good shooter and a guy who would fit into the triangle with his passing and ballhandling.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
hawkfan
Banned

Odom should either come to the Heat or the Hawks.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
yep, and hes letting his emotions impact business decisions. bad idea IMO.

You can look at it like that or you can look at it as though buss is lowering his offer slowly so that Odom/His Agent realizes if they don't make a move quickly then they'll be forced to take the original offer from Miami which was perhaps used only for leverage.

Odom runs a business and it wouldn't be all that economical to accept a lower offer, which is still in this case LA's offer.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I don't see why people think that by giving Odom away, you free up minutes for Morrison?

Is Ron Artest going to play power forward? Luke Walton?

Odom played PF exclusively last season. And only spot minutes at SF.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2k8
You can look at it like that or you can look at it as though buss is lowering his offer slowly so that Odom/His Agent realizes if they don't make a move quickly then they'll be forced to take the original offer from Miami which was perhaps used only for leverage.

Odom runs a business and it wouldn't be all that economical to accept a lower offer, which is still in this case LA's offer.
well, it depends how much lower the offer from LA is. If its 3 years at, lets say 7 million per, then that would not be any different from Miamis offer starting at the MLE with maximum (10.5%) raises.
for the first 3 years.

especially since he will save over 300k in state taxes every year.

For those that say he "needs" la more than they need him, I would counter that you dont replace your 3rd best player on your defending champ team and stay the same. Even if artest outperforms ariza (I personally dont think he will), odoms going to leave a significant void off the bench, in the FC rotation, and limit their lineup flexibility (something that allowed Zen to create significant mismatches).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #22
ZaaaaaH
Banned

Lakers are one of the if not THE Best francise. If they think Odom will make that much impact to this team then they would of signed him already. Lakers have a lot of good, great and a elite player so Odom won't be missed much. They still have a lot of young players develping. Lakers don't need someone who can take over a game they just need a role player to do there job and thats it.

Odom just wants money, he is a bussiness man on the side. He likes to invest his money that is why he was looking for money from the Lakers and he try to play hardball now he ain't going to get shiiit.

Odom needs Lakers MUCH more then Lakers need him. If you want to be a winner.

PG Fisher
SG Kobe
SF Artest
PF Pau
C Bynum

Who has a stronger starting line up then Lakers besides Boston just by little if KG comes healthy this upcoming season.
ZaaaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
Lakers are one of the if not THE Best francise. If they think Odom will make that much impact to this team then they would of signed him already. Lakers have a lot of good, great and a elite player so Odom won't be missed much. They still have a lot of young players develping. Lakers don't need someone who can take over a game they just need a role player to do there job and thats it.

Odom just wants money, he is a bussiness man on the side. He likes to invest his money that is why he was looking for money from the Lakers and he try to play hardball now he ain't going to get shiiit.

Odom needs Lakers MUCH more then Lakers need him. If you want to be a winner.

PG Fisher
SG Kobe
SF Artest
PF Pau
C Bynum

Who has a stronger starting line up then Lakers besides Boston just by little if KG comes healthy this upcoming season.
well, fisher is washed up (though still somewhat effective due to the open looks he gets). Look at what the rox did against him with brooks last playoffs.

What "young" talent do they have to develop besides bynum (already vastly overhyped)?

The point is, their bench is paper thin without odom. Shannon Brown is decent, farmar has shown what he is (not very good) and their FC rotation has no legs at all. They need odom. Buss is pissed and letting it influence his negotiations.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
Torious
I rule the local playground

Quote:
well, it depends how much lower the offer from LA is. If its 3 years at, lets say 7 million per, then that would not be any different from Miamis offer starting at the MLE with maximum (10.5%) raises.
for the first 3 years.

For those that say he "needs" la more than they need him, I would counter that you dont replace your 3rd best player on your defending champ team and stay the same. Even if artest outperforms ariza (I personally dont think he will), odoms going to leave a significant void off the bench, in the FC rotation, and limit their lineup flexibility (something that allowed Zen to create significant mismatches).

Since the Heat don't have bird rights on Odom, they can only give him an 8% yearly raise. The Lakers could give him 10.5, however. That fact alone should pretty much negate any state tax advantage he might have in Florida.

For Buss this is probably just another high stakes poker game and my guess is, that when everything is said and done, Odom will beg Buss to give him a 3 years 27 mil deal.
Torious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torious
Since the Heat don't have bird rights on Odom, they can only give him an 8% yearly raise. The Lakers could give him 10.5, however. That fact alone should pretty much negate any state tax advantage he might have in Florida.

For Buss this is probably just another high stakes poker game and my guess is, that when everything is said and done, Odom will beg Buss to give him a 3 years 27 mil deal.
perhaps. My bad on the max raise. still, the difference isnt that great between a contract for 21/3 and what the heat can offer. I do think he ends up back with the lakers. Im mostly just annoyed with the fans (not the FO) who think they can let him leave without impacting the team.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
Torious
I rule the local playground

Quote:
perhaps. My bad on the max raise. still, the difference isnt that great between a contract for 21/3 and what the heat can offer. I do think he ends up back with the lakers. Im mostly just annoyed with the fans (not the FO) who think they can let him leave without impacting the team.

If that's what's actually on the table, then yeah, you're right. But I have a hard time believing that that's all the Lakers are offering. Or is there a crdible source for those numbers?
Torious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torious
If that's what's actually on the table, then yeah, you're right. But I have a hard time believing that that's all the Lakers are offering. Or is there a crdible source for those numbers?
no, just a hypothetical based on the known offer (27/3) and the many reports that it has been reduced. It could be anywhere from 8.9 per on down I suppose. Just pointing out that the miami offer, while it may be primarily a bargaining chip, is not solely a bargaining chip.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
This is stupid. What's $5 million? Is there really any difference between 3 years, 27 million, and 3 years, 32 million? There is no difference, from the point of view of ownership. Teams throw 5 year 30 million dollar deals at mediocre players all the time. Why is the Lakers ownership choosing now to be penny pinchers? Odom is the difference between being a contender and being a dynasty. Fork over the extra $5m over 3 years it would take to secure him. Anyway, it can't hurt to show a player like Odom that you consider him valuable enough to break open the bank a little. Again.. it's just a little.

Just curious, what did Luke Walton get?

actually, that would be a $10m difference. Also, the issue is years, not dollars per.
Luke got the MLE at approx $5m per.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #29
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

For those who keep saying that Lamar needs LA more than LA needs him, i think you're wrong.

Without Lamar, you're bench would be horrible and it would be hard as hell to repeat. I mean, your highest scoring bench player would be Shannon Brown at 5 ppg, and whether the people in LA want to hear it or not, you're not going to win a championship with no bench
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Quote:
for the first 3 years.

Odom was the fourth best player behind Kobe, Pau, and Ariza.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: