Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Default Re: Source: Laker's Offer to Odom Reduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
Odom was the fourth best player behind Kobe, Pau, and Ariza.
Odom > Ariza
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
magnax1
Banned

Woooohoooooo!!!! Odom to Miami!!!! Woooohoooo!!!! Lakers aren't gonna win anything!!!!
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
Odom was the fourth best player behind Kobe, Pau, and Ariza.
uh, no.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

Are the Lakers just trying to piss off Odom by offering him less money?
He should go to Miami, but it would be a shame to see him leave LA.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
ZaaaaaH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
well, fisher is washed up (though still somewhat effective due to the open looks he gets). Look at what the rox did against him with brooks last playoffs.

What "young" talent do they have to develop besides bynum (already vastly overhyped)?

The point is, their bench is paper thin without odom. Shannon Brown is decent, farmar has shown what he is (not very good) and their FC rotation has no legs at all. They need odom. Buss is pissed and letting it influence his negotiations.

Yes fisher is washed up but they don't need an all star PG. They just need someone like Fish who can get the job done just like last year in the playoffs. Yes Brooks did rock the lakers last year but Lakers didn't show up until game 7.

They Brown,Sasha,Powell, and Bynum. Yes they are garbge besides Bynum but Lakers don't need a rising star. They just need role players to do the JOB for 10-20 mins avrg and these guys will be better then last year. As for Bynum he seems like he is over hyped because of his weak Playoff serise last year but he was coming back from being hurt. This year his leg will be much stronger and will get more touches if Odom does not sign which I highly doubt but anything can happen.

They have 4 Stars in the starting lineup so they don't need a superstar or a above avrg player to come off the bench.

Just like I said No one has a OVERALL stronger team then Boston.
ZaaaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #36
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
For those that say he "needs" la more than they need him, I would counter that you dont replace your 3rd best player on your defending champ team and stay the same. Even if artest outperforms ariza (I personally dont think he will), odoms going to leave a significant void off the bench, in the FC rotation, and limit their lineup flexibility (something that allowed Zen to create significant mismatches).

Without Odom, LA is still a contender. They can still do a trade with Morrison's expirers to get more depth. Not saying they'd be as good as with Odom, but they'll still be solid. Remember, Odom is only an inconsistent bench role player. It's not like you're taking away an all star or something. If Bynum steps up he won't be missed at all.

Without LA, Odom is an MLE player. So he's downgraded to being league average. I'm sure he deserves more pay than that and he has rightfully been offered that by the Lakers. So who needs who more?
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
ZaaaaaH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
For those who keep saying that Lamar needs LA more than LA needs him, i think you're wrong.

Without Lamar, you're bench would be horrible and it would be hard as hell to repeat. I mean, your highest scoring bench player would be Shannon Brown at 5 ppg, and whether the people in LA want to hear it or not, you're not going to win a championship with no bench

If you think Lakers is not going to win a Championship who is?
ZaaaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #38
Story Up
LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
Are the Lakers just trying to piss off Odom by offering him less money?
He should go to Miami, but it would be a shame to see him leave LA.

Lakers are over 100 million in team salary. They would have to pay a lot more luxury tax then Miami otherwise would. They are still giving Lamar more money then Miami; if anyone should feel disrepsected it's LA. Considering Lamar already said he wants to stay a Laker and continue winning titles. Doc's budget is tight but he's still offering Lamar a pretty hefty paycheck. I as a fan feel somewhat disrespected that Lamar has yet to accept the deal.

LA reducing the offer has to do with the terms, they are probably adding new clauses to the deal or extending the length of the contract. I seriously doubt Buss offered Lamar a similar length contract for less money. I wouldn't listen to the news if I were you; I got too many friends working for the news. I'm telling you they use their type writers before they know anything concrete.

Lamar is playing for the most winningest franchise in NBA history who are just coming off a championship run, they've signed Artest so they basically showed that they're commited to winning, they've offered Lamar the best deal they possibly could and they're paying a big sum of luxury tax because of it. Lamar's versatility (being able to play 4 positions under Phil's system) will allow him to play over 30 minutes a night, so I know it has nothing to do with playing time. I am really having trouble seeing why Lamar hasn't agreed to re-sign with LA 3 weeks ago.
Story Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #39
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

At this point I really hope Odom goes to Miami.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #40
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Up
Lakers are over 100 million in team salary. They would have to pay a lot more luxury tax then Miami otherwise would. They are still giving Lamar more money then Miami; if anyone should feel disrepsected it's LA. Considering Lamar already said he wants to stay a Laker and continue winning titles. Doc's budget is tight but he's still offering Lamar a pretty hefty paycheck. I as a fan feel somewhat disrespected that Lamar has yet to accept the deal.

LA reducing the offer has to do with the terms, they are probably adding new clauses to the deal or extending the length of the contract. I seriously doubt Buss offered Lamar a similar length contract for less money. I wouldn't listen to the news if I were you; I got too many friends working for the news. I'm telling you they use their type writers before they know anything concrete.

Lamar is playing for the most winningest franchise in NBA history who are just coming off a championship run, they've signed Artest so they basically showed that they're commited to winning, they've offered Lamar the best deal they possibly could and they're paying a big sum of luxury tax because of it. Lamar's versatility (being able to play 4 positions under Phil's system) will allow him to play over 30 minutes a night, so I know it has nothing to do with playing time. I am really having trouble seeing why Lamar hasn't agreed to re-sign with LA 3 weeks ago.

Money obviously. That's what this whole thing is about. But (supposing this report is true) if they Lakers are trying to keep Odom so badly, why do they keep reducing the offer more and more? I realize they are so far over the cap and already deep in the luxury tax, but continually lowering and taking offers off the table is obviously going to disrespect and lure a player away no matter how much he wants to be there.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #41
HERB Stempel
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

why should lamar be punished for the embarrassing contracts given to walton and vujacic?
using his comments last season like a gun to his head in negotations is silly and unfair. it was a class move for lamar to say he wants to remain a laker repeatedly during last seasons run for the title. here's a guy who has done everything lal asked of him and more. shelve your ego and come off the bench for us lamar. ok coach.
painting the guy as a greedy villain in the public eye, diminishing his value to the team, and insulting lamar in a number of other ways. stay classy los angeles lakers.
HERB Stempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #42
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
Money obviously. That's what this whole thing is about. But (supposing this report is true) if they Lakers are trying to keep Odom so badly, why do they keep reducing the offer more and more? I realize they are so far over the cap and already deep in the luxury tax, but continually lowering and taking offers off the table is obviously going to disrespect and lure a player away no matter how much he wants to be there.

Because the Lakers feel disrespected.

They offered Odom 3 years 10 million per or 4 years 9 million per which is overpaying him to get him to sign quickly without antagonizing them with Miami. Yet he still held out and flirted more strongly with Miami. So now the generous offer is out and they brought back the market value offer. Seriously, how much do you think Odom is worth in the market now? 10 million a year until he is 35 years old? Tell me what you think is fair and you'll see whether the Lakers FO are being disrespectful. If he's such a steal, why haven't the teams with capspace thrown their money at him? The Grizzlies would rather take Zach Randolph for god's sake. Portland has space and hasn't even thrown an offer at him.

So basically, fair deal offered, Odom pissed them off by saying he'd rather take Miami MLE. so now no more generous offer. And Lakers aren't even tormenting him by just offering him a couple million more than what Miami can offer which will greatly piss him off.
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #43
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
Without Odom, LA is still a contender. They can still do a trade with Morrison's expirers to get more depth. Not saying they'd be as good as with Odom, but they'll still be solid. Remember, Odom is only an inconsistent bench role player. It's not like you're taking away an all star or something. If Bynum steps up he won't be missed at all.

Without LA, Odom is an MLE player. So he's downgraded to being league average. I'm sure he deserves more pay than that and he has rightfully been offered that by the Lakers. So who needs who more?
sure, they are still contenders, just not as good as with odom. Do you really think AmMo's what 4mil expirer is gonna get you a decent player?

This inconsistent bench player nonsense has to stop. Worth the MLE? he averages 15 and 9 over his career shooting over 45%. He shot 50% for the lakers the last 2 seasons. Sure, he has off games (all players do), but the averages dont lie. Dude is easily worth 9/per. If he goes to the heat (i dont think he will), lakers fans are really going to miss him next year.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #44
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

the lakers are low balling him any way you cut it. being willing to take a pay cut is one thing, taking just over half your salary from the previous season when you're still in your prime is another thing altogether. Some bad contracts are on the books, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be fighting to make this work. 40 for 4 Dr. Buss, sort it out.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #45
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
they've offered Lamar the best deal they possibly could and they're paying a big sum of luxury tax because of it.
well, thats not true. They could offer him the max if they wanted to. they shouldnt but they could.

Are you really in St. Kitts (never can tell with the ability to set your own location)?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: