Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Overrated rap albums commonly thought highly of...

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

I start here, and for good reason. This album is utter trash. The only gem is Light. The only other decent cut from the album is Queens, which still isn't anything special. I appreciate PM for his work back in the day with Organized Konfusion. A lot of circles really think PM is an amazing emcee, which is why I feel compelled to say he's overrated, and Internal Affairs proves why he is. Perhaps a great guest spot, but a 13 track album, no thanks. One of the more unique vocals in the rap game, but not enough to dismiss his lack of other abilities. I haven't heard his other album Desire. Am I missing anything? Haven't heard any rave reviews, etc.

Next up - Talib Kweli's Quality. Now before you throw stones realize I'm actually a fan of Kweli, I just feel his flow and persona on previous works is much better, especially the Black Star project. Kewli is too soft on Quality, and I realize he's not a "thug" or goon yet you can't deny he was much rougher and gritty on his Reflection Eternal and Black Star works. Decent album, but if you poll a lot of fans of the album they'll say it's classic, which is way beyond it's deserving.

I'm sure to piss off a few more heads with this album. I'm sorry, it's just not a classic album. It's not even a "must have" or anything of the nature. Great... eh IDK. Good, I can accept that. I'm just not a big Common fan, but I appreciate great albums from mediocre artists and vise versa, so if the album was "all that" I'd have no problem giving respect where respect is due - but considering highly regarded this album is, it certainly makes me step back and scratch my head. Great production, just too much mediocre Common. Then again I've always viewed Common a mediocre artist.

Default Re: Overrated rap albums commonly thought highly of...

tha carter II

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    tha carter II
    That I can agree with. I loved Carter III, a bit indifferent with Carter II.

Decent playground baller

Illmatic-
    Obviously a great album, should be in everyones top 15 or so.
    But it seems like there is a big group of people who think its bar none the greatest album ever.
    Its definetly in my top 7 or so, but there is the chronic 2001 and all eyes on me are comparable. I don't think BlackStars album is too far off either.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Its good, but not the masterpiece many claim.

Also

I'm going to get shot for this but...any Biggie album. I just never got into the guy enough to make me want to call his work "classic". To the OP, I'm with you on most of those picks. Quality was aight, Finding Forever was ok...but not classics or what many people see them as.

Ya'll gonna hate me for this:

Yeah, I went there.

I grew up listening to 2Pac when he was down with the Underground

Quote Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
    Illmatic-
    Obviously a great album, should be in everyones top 15 or so.
    But it seems like there is a big group of people who think its bar none the greatest album ever.
    Its definetly in my top 7 or so, but there is the chronic 2001 and all eyes on me are comparable. I don't think BlackStars album is too far off either.
    Not a bad assessment. There's a few Pac haters here who would clown you for the All Eyes On Me pick... but I'm with you, one of the best albums in rap's history. Not so much comparable to other East Coast bangers from back in the day, but if there was a rap album that really personified the rap game, safe to say it's All Eyes On Me.

Not feeling you on the Black Star pick to be anywhere near the top 25, much less top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic R
    Ya'll gonna hate me for this:

Yeah, I went there.

I grew up listening to 2Pac when he was down with the Underground… Digital Underground. Same Song, D-Flo, et cetera… Then 2Pacalypse Now dropped and was hitting good. After that Strictly for my ****** came out and that album was just full of energy. Come summer of 95 the summer I graduated, I got down to Me Against the World. That album was perfection. I had it on cassette and wore the wheels out on that thing! Then Pac got locked in the clink… Death Row came to his rescue, and he laid the turd that was All Eyez on Me. SMH. It didn't even feel like the same Pac I spent my high school days jamming to. It was like some hybrid Snoop/Dre/2Pac crap. I didn't even care about this album as I had three CDs stolen out of my car one night in the summer of 96, All Eyes on Me, Doggfood, and Conspiracy. I didn't replace All Eyez on Me.

Now these days, I can enjoy the album, and have grown to like it over the years, but too many people think this is the only Pac album that matters/counts/exists
    2Pacalypse Now = one of rap's most underrated albums. No doubt.

Wow... how can you NOT enjoy Toss It Up... Pain... Thug Passion... Picture Me Rollin' etc. just to name a few???

Sonic R your gonna have to get out of the thread for that one......

[QUOTE=Sonic R]Ya'll gonna hate me for this:

Yeah, I went there.

I grew up listening to 2Pac when he was down with the Underground

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant

Its good, but not the masterpiece many claim.

Also

I actually agree here. I love both albums, however neither are "classic" ... maybe 4 oro 4.5 mic worthy albums, but not classic... * sigh * really not even that close. I do like Blueprint quite a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    the carter 2 is easily the best studio album wayne has ever released in my opinion. that's why i'm going to have to go with the carter 3 as overhyped and highly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    you are gonna hate me, but i mistyped and i actually meant Carter III

Quote Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
    Illmatic-
    Obviously a great album, should be in everyones top 3 or so.

fixed it for ya.