Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Homeland

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I don't know. They kind of layed his behavior out in a way that it could be viewed from either perspective. It was like he coming clean with his family as a means of saying goodbye. But was it a goodbye because he's now become a full time terrorist, or he's expecting to die in an explosion, or is it a goodbye because he intends to move on with Carrie who just understands him more than they will ever be able too. To me it could've been read either way, and I'm positive that was done intentionally.

It would've looked more clear had Brody been the one to call Carrie away, and not the other way around. His "that's weird, someone moved my car." line, was intentionally misleading. Would it have changed things had we not known that info. If the explosion just happened, and then after the fact we learned with Saul that it appeared to come from Brody's car. It was as if that line were placed there to explicitly tell the audience that either there's someone else participating, or that he's trying to convince Carrie that there's someone else participating. Otherwise what's the point.

He wouldn't tell his family that if he was still a terrorist because he wouldn't run the risk of himself being exposed if he still had future terrorist plans in mind. He might trust them enough and risk telling them if he was done with that life but I don't see him telling them if he still had plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I don't know. They kind of layed his behavior out in a way that it could be viewed from either perspective. It was like he coming clean with his family as a means of saying goodbye. But was it a goodbye because he's now become a full time terrorist, or he's expecting to die in an explosion, or is it a goodbye because he intends to move on with Carrie who just understands him more than they will ever be able too. To me it could've been read either way, and I'm positive that was done intentionally.

It would've looked more clear had Brody been the one to call Carrie away, and not the other way around. His "that's weird, someone moved my car." line, was intentionally misleading. Would it have changed things had we not known that info. If the explosion just happened, and then after the fact we learned with Saul that it appeared to come from Brody's car. It was as if that line were placed there to explicitly tell the audience that either there's someone else participating, or that he's trying to convince Carrie that there's someone else participating. Otherwise what's the point.
    Or what about the sequence that came before the "That's wierd, somebody moved my car line."

Carrie tells Brody she choose him over the CIA and he looked sad. She even asked him why do you look sad?

Maybe he thought she would choose the job and was regretting going back to being a terrorist? If he is...I dont know. Its too confusing.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114
    Or what about the sequence that came before the "That's wierd, somebody moved my car line."

Carrie tells Brody she choose him over the CIA and he looked sad. She even asked him why do you look sad?

Maybe he thought she would choose the job and was regretting going back to being a terrorist? If he is...I dont know. Its too confusing.
    One of the beefs I have with this show is I've never heard of a "reformed" terrorist. I've never heard of a Muslim terrorist that struggles between staying true to his mission and faith over having a normal life with a family. The reason why they are willing to kill themselves over their cause is cause they are so stuck to their beliefs. At least that's what I also thought. Maybe some of you have read or heard differently. But thats why I always thought it was kinda stupid Brody was always so confused about what he wanted. And actually because of that, that could be a reason why he's still a terrorist.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    One of the beefs I have with this show is I've never heard of a "reformed" terrorist. I've never heard of a Muslim terrorist that struggles between staying true to his mission and faith over having a normal life with a family. The reason why they are willing to kill themselves over their cause is cause they are so stuck to their beliefs. At least that's what I also thought. Maybe some of you have read or heard differently. But thats why I always thought it was kinda stupid Brody was always so confused about what he wanted. And actually because of that, that could be a reason why he's still a terrorist.
    Self doubt is common, particularly when you are fighting two polarizing belief structures. Its not that rare for people to be indoctrinatized yet still fighting off tendencies to do the opposite.. Its the whole basis of the difficulty, that each belief is influencing equally.

It has happened with terrorists, religionists, patriots, and many others.

There are ex-jihadis out there. For a lot of them the change came after they went to prison though. For Brody, it could be being back amongst his family and away from Abu Nazir that means he spends less time in the terrorists world, so he could waver.

Also he did kill the Vice President. Who seemed to be a man he personally hated. So he might not be able to kill indiscriminately, but specifically. Also, perhaps that killing got it out of his system.

He's killed what, 3 people now?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    There are ex-jihadis out there. For a lot of them the change came after they went to prison though. For Brody, it could be being back amongst his family and away from Abu Nazir that means he spends less time in the terrorists world, so he could waver.

Also he did kill the Vice President. Who seemed to be a man he personally hated. So he might not be able to kill indiscriminately, but specifically. Also, perhaps that killing got it out of his system.

He's killed what, 3 people now?

Part of what makes Brody interesting is that he seems to mainly want to be intructed. Weather it's by Carrie, or Nazir, or the Marines, or even by his family. He seems to crave a mission, whatever that may be. Left to his own devices he's extremely wishy washy. That seems to make him such a pliable character. What they're hiding from us is who's mission is he following from moment to moment.

The influence Nazir had over him pops out from time to time. Sure he at least acted leveraged by Carrie's kidnapping in giving Nazir the pacemaker code, but at the same time, his reservations about going through with that mission didn't stop him from taunting Walden after the fact, or taking the phone from him. It's not entirely clear where his loyalties lie from moment to moment. And it's also not clear why his motives are his motives. Is it part of a larger scheme, or did his hatred of Walden just kind of pop through in that moment.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

He wouldn't tell his family that if he was still a terrorist because he wouldn't run the risk of himself being exposed if he still had future terrorist plans in mind. He might trust them enough and risk telling them if he was done with that life but I don't see him telling them if he still had plans.

I don't recall him telling anyone anything about future plans. He told Dana about wearing the suicide vest, but sort of expressly says that he was messed up, and isn't that person anymore. He never really got to tell Jess much because she cut him off.

Now he may have lied to them, fully intending to continue being "that person", but he may have done so with the intention of dieing in that explosion. It wasn't him that pulled them to the side, it was Carrie. Maybe that's why he looked sad, had he known her choice ahead of time perhaps he wouldn't have gone through with it.

With Nazir gone, and retribution taken for Issa, on both Walden and Estes, and even Walden's son dieing in the explosion, he may not feel any more obligation to follow through with anything else. All the things Nazir used to leverage him have been reasonably resolved. And Nazir isn't around to make new ones, and even then making a motive last time took 8 years.

Now it may be him just trying to manipulate his way out of the situation.

I could see this ending with he and Carrie living happily ever after, him being cleared of the bombing, and in the last episode turning to the camera and giving the smile Micheal Jackson gave at the end of Thriller.

Just rewatched the last episode to see how they filmed the bombing scene.

They did show Brody parking his car in lot C. So someone did move his car. However, they also show him going to the ceremony with a determined look in his eye. He looks like a man on a mission. However, he could be steeling himself to act sympathetic at the funeral of the man he killed. He then is very sympathetic to his widow.

When Carrie tells him she has changed her mind and wants to be with him. He gets a weird look on his face...it could be Oh ****, if I knew I she was going to be with me, I wouldn't have planted this bomb. It's right then he mentions, "someone move my car."

So essentially they are giving information to play it both ways. They are also giving themselves room to write it both ways.

However, there must be somebody else besides Brody in on it.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-06-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Also the newscaster says "in addition Congressman Brody's taped message, the militant group release this statement.....

So there was a copy of the tape

Just finished Season 2 in like a week. Holy balls.

WHO THE F.UCK MOVED BRODY'S CAR? It wasn't Saul, he was miles away at sea watching Nazir's funeral. I'm so confused.

Holy shit. I saw the first seven episodes of this show over the last three days and I'm fvcking hooked. Every time I think I know what's happening and I make predictions, I'm proven wrong.

Magic Johnson

I haven't finished the second season so I'm not going to read through this thread in its entirety but I love the show thus far. The writing is fantastic. I could see how this plot line could get repetitive and dull, but the writers do a great job throwing curve balls and making the story line interesting. At this point who knows what side Brody is on.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Just started watching since I finished High School of The Dead.

I'll probably finish the two seasons before Breaking Bad returns.

Watched the first 2 seasons over the last couple of weeks. Great show, I'm really enjoying it so far.

And my god the wife is hot, adorable even.