Popovich: take a look around
Reading about the drama in Orlando, NY, LA... with their head coaches people have got to see and appreciate several attributes that make a good coach:
1. Do the players respect and at least buy into the Coach and his methods?
2. Is the voice of the coach old and worn. Are the players just tired of it?
3. Does the coach have the players best interest in mind in terms of the team?
4. Does owner(s) respect the coach and have the coaches back so the inmates dont run the show?
5. Do the coach and GM see eye to eye on player acquisitions etc...?
The answer to every question above is a big YES with Pop. Anyone can dissect instantaneous game decisions, lineups in a compact season from night to night, more playing time for individuals on a team that is now stacked. Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, never really got "old" in dealing with players. They did however get mentally tired of dealing with players imo. All of these guys knew how to keep the message fresh and believable, even with strange individuals. Popovich has the same ability. We are very lucky to have Popovich. Even if he is an old cranky man.
Look at what NY has gone through the last 15 or so years... a major sports town that has a huge following with an incredibly valuable team. Look at what we got in the same time frame. Jesus we are lucky.
Easter bunny post, full of brightly colored eggs.