Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Healthy Rose vs Irving h2h, potentially most exciting backcourt duel this season?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Considering Rose is pretty good defensively, particularly on ball defense, and consistently getting better ... it should be interesting.

Kyrie will need a ton of picks to do what he wants to do. Rose's athleticism and shot contest abilities will give him some problems.

Rose always gets geeked for big name opponents at his position, to prove the hierarchy of where he stands. He should play well taking history into account of his 2011 MVP and 2012 season in head to heads v.s. elite PGs.

In virtually all cases D-Rose came out looking superior, including against the league's best PG, Chris Paul. I expect this matchup to be no different, besides the fact Kyrie is a less intelligent, more one dimensional version of Paul.

It will be fun to watch. Kyrie and his ball handling, countless picks to get to the rim. Derrick Rose with his big game abilities, defense, athleticism, blow by crossover and ability to finish electrically at the rim.

Especially considering Kyrie is atrocious defensively. Rose should always be able to do what he wants with him, not having to rely on countless picks in ISO situations.

I have my bias, but obviously I'm going with D-Rose. Should be fun to watch though for sure.
    Wrong: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=rosede01

With the exception of the last game they played against each other it's been a wash or Paul has been better. Not almost every case like you mentioned.

Default Re: Healthy Rose vs Irving h2h, potentially most exciting backcourt duel this season?

It'll be interesting to see because Irving isn't an athletic point guard. He's just average or slightly above average. What he excels in is his handles and his mid-range/long range game. He hast he craftiness to get to the hoop, but he's not nearly as good of a finisher around the hoop as Rose is.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode

With the exception of the last game they played against each other it's been a wash or Paul has been better. Not almost every case like you mentioned.
    What about the other elite PGs? v.s. Rondo, Deron, Westbrook, Parker, etc Thus the "almost" as the case and specific wording I chose to use. Come on man, if it's been a wash in some cases (Paul has not been better in head to heads) and Rose clearly being better in their 2012 matchup. Rose would be the best head to head guy I've seen v.s. elite contemporaries. I watched all of these games.

It'll be interesting to see because Irving isn't an athletic point guard. He's just average or slightly above average. What he excels in is his handles and his mid-range/long range game. He hast he craftiness to get to the hoop, but he's not nearly as good of a finisher around the hoop as Rose is.
    are you blind to your own stats you provide? the stats you provided vs westbrook and rose clearly dictates rose being better. the stats with rose and chris paul show rose winning 5-0

common man.

5-time NBA All-Star

The last two games Rose outplayed him thoroughly. Not even questionable. I certainly wouldn't expect a rookie Rose to outplay CP. Second year Rose played him pretty close but I give Paul the edge. But Rose really came into his own in his third year - 2011 and they have only played twice since then.

As far as Irving is concerned, he's like Rose, one of the few players that gets up for every challenge (Lebron was like that but he rarely goes hard at Durant). Unlike Rose, Irving doesn't have a history of stopping star pgs. The other spoiler is that Irving uses a lot of picks which can actually work against him as Chicago will be on the look out for that. Then there is the other possible spoiler, I call it the Westbrook spoiler which means Irving might not guard Rose.

Irving is a tall broad shouldered guy. He seems noticeably taller than Rose. He has gained weight but I don't know if this will help Kyrie. But this is something to look forward too.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    It will be funny. Neither is able to play defense.
    Exactly, when they both score 40, espn will call it one best battles of the season, while the real fans will know that it was just terrible defense back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    The last two games Rose outplayed him thoroughly. Not even questionable. I certainly wouldn't expect a rookie Rose to outplay CP. Second year Rose played him pretty close but I give Paul the edge. But Rose really came into his own in his third year - 2011 and they have only played twice since then.

As far as Irving is concerned, he's like Rose, one of the few players that gets up for every challenge (Lebron was like that but he rarely goes hard at Durant). Unlike Rose, Irving doesn't have a history of stopping star pgs. The other spoiler is that Irving uses a lot of picks which can actually work against him as Chicago will be on the look out for that. Then there is the other possible spoiler, I call it the Westbrook spoiler which means Irving might not guard Rose.

Irving is a tall broad shouldered guy. He seems noticeably taller than Rose. He has gained weight but I don't know if this will help Kyrie. But this is something to look forward too.
    Thanks for backing me up in the head to head history w/ Paul.

I was referencing Rose curb stomping fellow elite contemporary PGs since his 2011 MVP season when he really came into his own.

I wasn't referencing his burgeoning rookie and sophomore seasons. When he wasn't a refined player yet.

Rose always destroys in head to heads. His defense has even become significantly underrated. Rose is actually a pretty good defender at his position.

So far it looks as if he's got even better at it this season too.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Thanks for backing me up in the head to head history w/ Paul.

I was referencing Rose curb stomping fellow elite contemporary PGs since his 2011 MVP season when he really came into his own.

I wasn't referencing his burgeoning rookie and sophomore seasons. When he wasn't a refined player yet.

Rose always destroys in head to heads. His defense has even become significantly underrated. Rose is actually a pretty good defender at his position.

So far it looks as if he's got even better at it this season too.
    Yeah, his defense in the preseason has been really good. Rose is among the strongest of PGs and he uses his strength defensively very well. Obviously he looks much stronger this year. First time I ever seen a guy gain weight and speed at the same time. Even before the weight gain you notice that Billups and Wade never tried to overpower Rose despite going at the heavier DWill.

A lot of people are forgetting about John Wall who I think is going to have a break out year. Wall should have a real gripe with Irving over some all star weekend stuff but I don't know if Wall is a guy that gets up for games. Wall has the potential to be a real monster.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Honestly Dion will probably guard Rose and Butler will probably guard Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    are you blind to your own stats you provide? the stats you provided vs westbrook and rose clearly dictates rose being better. the stats with rose and chris paul show rose winning 5-0

common man.
    Are you a f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking crackhead? You said Rose has shown that he's outplayed Westbrook every game when infact he hasn't. The last game they played together they both scored 28 points, but Westbrook shot 53% from the field, but Rose was at 38%. Not to mention Westbrook got to the line 13 times to Rose's 4 times had 10 rebs compared to Rose's 4 rebs, 2 steals to Rose's 0 steals while they both got 6 assists.

How in the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck is Rose playing better in that game than Westbrook? Also not to mention the game on 1/4/2010 where Westbrook played better than Rose in that as well shooting a better percentage with more points, rebs and freethrow attempts.

I'm not saying Westbrook or Rose is the better PG, but you said Rose outplayed him every single game they've played against each other which is a falsified statement on your part.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Honestly Dion will probably guard Rose and Butler will probably guard Irving.
    Rose rarely lets other players guard the point guard. I haven't seen it since Thibes came in. But injuries and such Thibes might have a change of heart on this. Besides Dion might be a harder matchup for pointguards???

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

I think I'll agree with you on Paul vs Rose. Every year Rose got better and obviously won the last two years in that match-up. Third year was close to a wash for me. You're right.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Cavs > Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Cavs > Bulls
    Ok, let's not be ridiculous.

Local High School Star

rose can't shot,and he has choke history