Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: A little thinking game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
An n x n grid will have a total of n2 + (n - 1)2 + ... + 22 + 12 squares. The picture has one 4 x 4 square and two 2 x 2 squares. There are 42 + 32 + 22 + 12 = 16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 30 squares in the 4 x 4, and there are 22 + 12 = 4 + 1 = 5 squares in each 2 x 2. Thus, there are a total of 30 + 2 * 5 = 40 squares.

Do you mean n^2 instead of n2? Not sure what formula you're using. But I'm assuming those are meant to be powers instead of multipliers, right?

The formula for the larger squares that makes sense to me is f(x) = (x(x+1)(2x+1))/6 where x = 4. f(4) gives you (4 * 5 * 9)/6 = 30 total squares for the larger ones. Then I'd add the 10 total combinations of the smaller squares. I think we're basically doing the same thing to arrive at 40 though.
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTION
Do you mean n^2 instead of n2? Not sure what formula you're using. But I'm assuming those are meant to be powers instead of multipliers, right?

The formula for the larger squares that makes sense to me is f(x) = (x(x+1)(2x+1))/6 where x = 4. f(4) gives you (4 * 5 * 9)/6 = 30 total squares for the larger ones. Then I'd add the 10 total combinations of the smaller squares. I think we're basically doing the same thing to arrive at 40 though.

I just counted.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I got 39 and I counted the big square.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I just counted.

Well, what if it were a 100x100 square?
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Well, what if it were a 100x100 square?

Then a math formula would be more necessary, but for this it is just overkill because I counted them in less than 10 seconds.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
b1imtf
raep tiem

b1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
An n x n grid will have a total of n2 + (n - 1)2 + ... + 22 + 12 squares. The picture has one 4 x 4 square and two 2 x 2 squares. There are 42 + 32 + 22 + 12 = 16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 30 squares in the 4 x 4, and there are 22 + 12 = 4 + 1 = 5 squares in each 2 x 2. Thus, there are a total of 30 + 2 * 5 = 40 squares.
[IMG][/IMG]
b1imtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1imtf
[IMG][/IMG]
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I counted 38 before I saw LEFT4DEAD's GIF.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

EDIT: never mind saw Left4Dead's Gif

Last edited by Eat Like A Bosh : 07-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #26
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

34 before I saw the gif.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: