Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Do those "all natural" folk really bug you?

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    Well I guess I'm one of those types. If I can help it, I would rather buy food with less preservatives, less processed and organic ingredients. I don't push my belief onto others and let them eat whatever they desire.
    I was about to post the same thing. I guess that makes us granola-eating, tree-hugging, hypocrite p*ssies.

Nice replies!

I gotta drop my kid off at school but I'll come back and address everyone who directed questions and comments at me

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Please. Such a cop out.

The supplement crowd are just as much "food extremist snobs" as those all natural hippies. Which is exactly the reason you loathe them so much, you are just a different branch of food nut.
    I'll take accountability for some of that. Although I would say the image is tarnished more by the people who use supplements placing a high expectations on products and as they achieve their results gives them a sense of entitlement. Don't get me wrong, I loathe those people just as much and admit it gives our industry a bad rep, I guarantee the majority of my industry does not act this way. You're looking more at those fitness models, body builders, and supp junkies.
    Same as the granolas. I'm not against the lifestyle at all. In fact my best friend is ALL of the above. He makes a conscious effort to purchase gluten free and non-GMO. The difference is he never tries to impose that on me or anybody else. He conducts his life as if he used conventional products.
    Comparing the 2 I would definitely say the granolas tend to be more narrow in their beliefs and are more extremists in practicing them
    Last edited by hateraid; 09-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Well I guess I'm one of those types. If I can help it, I would rather buy food with less preservatives, less processed and organic ingredients. I don't push my belief onto others and let them eat whatever they desire.
    I applaud you for that. What you eat is not a concern to me, it's the fact that you don't feel a need to impose that to anyone is what makes me respect your lifestyle choices.

I think people got me pegged in the I don't care category. I definitely make conscious efforts to purchase all-natural and organic as much as I can. The reality is it is not functional on my budget. But I rarely ever have processed food, artificial sweetened beverages, or sweets and treats. In fact all my body care products in my house are from a company called Botanique. 100% free of all excipients. No SLS, parabens, and other additives and preservatives. But you won't see me looking down at someone who likes their Outrageous shampoo. It's a lifestyle choice I'm committed to and will share if anyone asks or works into a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Commercial Whey Protein is a sham. You're pretty uneducated yourself.
    I asked you what you do for a living but didn't respond.
    You seem pretty sure of your statements yet I've got to ask you, have you ever purchased raw material whey? Have you ever had to check quality control and put producers through the ringer in terms of following FDA guidelines on raw materials? Have you actually seen or examined the raw material?
    You remind me of that scene in 300 where the Acadians wanted to join the fight. Leonidas asked the Acadians what they do for a living. None of them were actual soldiers.
    What is my profession?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzOWwoVdN4

Dymatize is a self manufacturing supplement company. Which means we personally inspect and qualify all raw materials that we use in our products. We have to check for impurities, GMP and international manufacturing practices on all our products. We purchase other raw materials from pharmaceutical grade companies. That is the standards we practice with.
    To say all whey is pasteurized dairy is as ignorant as saying penicillin is just a mold.
    If you have doubts about it you can always PM me an I can forward your inquiry to our in house scientist.
    Last edited by hateraid; 09-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.

BTW since you're the supplement expert, what is your thoughts about Pea Protein:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Pea-Protein-2-lbs.htm

I usually just mix it in my smoothies after a work out.
    I can't stand it. Hard to mask and mix. As for being a valuable source for post workout I would say it's very incomplete. But I'm not against it for people who want to use it as an alternative source
    Just for the record I'm not con on the majority of proteins. Ultimately I think as long as some has their RDA it's cool with me

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Paleo people don't really bug me.

But people who 100% consume organic whole wheat pasta and criticize my white rice consumption piss me off a lot lol.
    This is exactly the attitude I speak of. That paleo group though, I have yet to see somebody follow through for more than 6 months. It seems like a fad everyone wants to "try" yet rarely succeed

Quote Originally Posted by beer
    Who cares what bugs an alcoholic who's own family is ashamed of.

Look bakla, stop sourcing your whey from cows pumped with bovine growth hormone and people might buy your shitty supplements. Don't get mad at people for not wanting your low quality protein.

This is by far my favorite response. I am genuinely not offended and am actually flattered you took the time to really identify me

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
    That's astounding irony. Do you actually believe this? All it takes is a simple google scholar search, or a simple understanding of the digestive system to grasp how ignorant this statement is. Or maybe, "uneducated"
    I think you over dissected what I stated and really didn't simplify what I was trying to get across.

I'll quote again what I posted and I'll highlight the point I was trying to get across:

The most purchased product in our industry is protein powder. Whey protein is no different than any form of meat/vegetable protein [COLOR="Blue"]when it broken down into it's components[/COLOR]. Therefor it's food. Is food a sham?
    This was in response to LJJ saying whey protein is a sham. My intent was pointing out that whey protein is a food at the end of the day and how can food be a sham?
    I wasn't actually saying all proteins are equal based on their constituents and phytonutrients. I think that's where you misinterpreted my post. If I actually believed that I would only eat one source of protein.
    What I was trying to say is that once it is broken down in the body it is broken down into amino acids and then restrung into muscle or utilized to promote other functions. When it is in that state your body doesn't know it came from a chicken, a pig, a pea, or a powdered whey. At the end of this process amino acids=amino acids. Plain and simple. I'm actually slightly offended you took it the other way and called me ignorant, Especially since I took post secondary education in food and nutrition and made a profession in this field. As well as my brand contains a variety of protein besides whey (egg, beef, pea), it's in my job description to educate on those difference. But I follow what you're saying. No harm no foul.

As for what you did post I get presented with this on a constant basis. I would say most of it is true, but I would say there is definitely alot of bias.
    Like I said, people will subject themselves to what ever point they want to prove right. I can show you dozens of other sites to research that counter that and even give you dozens of examples of why whey protein is superior. The problem is trying to convey that message usually falls on deaf ears due to people will not accept alternative POV once they are sold on an idea (not meant to be an insult).
    Last edited by hateraid; 09-12-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    I was about to post the same thing. I guess that makes us granola-eating, tree-hugging, hypocrite p*ssies.
    Not trying to throw you specifically under the bus but this is exactly the attitude I get from alot of granolas.
    You said you wanted to post the same thing, how did ALB manage to post it without being snarky about it? It's the people like ALB who I respect who live the life but not have to be overbearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I asked you what you do for a living but didn't respond.
    You seem pretty sure of your statements yet I've got to ask you, have you ever purchased raw material whey? Have you ever had to check quality control and put producers through the ringer in terms of following FDA guidelines on raw materials? Have you actually seen or examined the raw material?
    You remind me of that scene in 300 where the Acadians wanted to join the fight. Leonidas asked the Acadians what they do for a living. None of them were actual soldiers.
    What is my profession?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzOWwoVdN4

Dymatize is a self manufacturing supplement company. Which means we personally inspect and qualify all raw materials that we use in our products. We have to check for impurities, GMP and international manufacturing practices on all our products. We purchase other raw materials from pharmaceutical grade companies. That is the standards we practice with.
    To say all whey is pasteurized dairy is as ignorant as saying penicillin is just a mold.
    If you have doubts about it you can always PM me an I can forward your inquiry to our in house scientist.
    I'm an affiliate marketer and I do various jobs for a guitar pedal manufacturer. (accounting, shipping, advertising, promoting, market research... etc)

Will be attending university in January for personal endeavors.

I think you misinterpreted what I said, or didn't day... I don't think I ever implied that all whey is pasteurized dairy, or certainly didn't mean to. Obviously I am a proponent of Non-Denatured whey protein, which is sold commercially, but direct only a miniscule % of the sales and production. The majority of the whey protein on the market is pasteurized dairy, which is mainly what I was trying to imply, and that a large majority of the people who go out looking for a whey product, will find themselves purchasing one of those products which will probably do them more harm than good. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I hope you realize that Organic isn't some bullshit term that can be thrown around in the US. It's a legal binding contract for conditions under which the product was raised or grown.
    I'm going to have to agree more with Harry here. Not saying you're wrong, and I can vouch for many companies that follow the more ethical approach. I can say that you're right, it is in fact legally binding, but there are loopholes you can get around and still be certified organic.
    As for Harry, it's not as flimsy as you think, but you're right, there are companies that use this to promote their product in the loosest terms. but that's where it comes down to advertising and what certifications they use.

If a company uses this symbol on their labels:

You bet your ass that that products are 100% organic compliant. I work with a company called Himalaya Herbal Healthcare and to get this on your label you must be compliant to 100% of the organic guidelines. To show how serious this label means:
    - you can't have water in your product as water isn't a certified organic product
    - if the binders or filler make up 5% of the weight then it cannot be labelled organic even if the actual product is all organic (Himalaya is binded by the natural resins of the plant which can be claimed as organic)
    - It cannot be manufactured in a container that has manufactured non-organic material

There are many companies who abuse the term organic, but if you have full certification, I guarantee those products are fully compliant

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    I'm an affiliate marketer and I do various jobs for a guitar pedal manufacturer. (accounting, shipping, advertising, promoting, market research... etc)

Will be attending university in January for personal endeavors.

I think you misinterpreted what I said, or didn't day... I don't think I ever implied that all whey is pasteurized dairy, or certainly didn't mean to. Obviously I am a proponent of Non-Denatured whey protein, which is sold commercially, but direct only a miniscule % of the sales and production. The majority of the whey protein on the market is pasteurized dairy, which is mainly what I was trying to imply, and that a large majority of the people who go out looking for a whey product, will find themselves purchasing one of those products which will probably do them more harm than good. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Fair enough bud
    I see where I misinterpreted you

And yes you are correct in that the vast majority is sold as pasteurized dairy and used for bigger commercial use. In our industry we purchase such a small percentage of it but filter it to come out with our end product.
    The pasteurized whey you mention are bought in large commodities by companies like Nestle and Pepsi

I try to eat healthy...

I don't know how much all of that other shit matters, but I do check out nutritional facts and have tried to go away from shit with no value. I think it's had a positive effect.

In fact, I encourage you all to do it as well. Eating isn't all about enjoying yourself, it's about giving your body the fuel to survive and perform at its optimal potential.

-Smak

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Hateraid, I think a lot of the heat you're getting from the others is because of the way supp companies promote their products. You and B-Low are absolutely right. People who fully depend on the supp, thinking that it's the "magic bullet" while leaving everything else needed to attain/maintain a healthy body/self are nuts. Conversely, a lot of people think that way simply because that's how most supplements are advertised - magic bullets. Lose fat fast, get stronger instantly, and get bigger in 5 minutes, complete with before and after pictures where the guy obviously just flexes the shit out of his muscles and puts on his best "I don't give a flying ****" face, are commonplace in all the BB magazines/sites/etc. So I won't AND can't blame you, but I do have some unfavorable words for the ones who make those ads and actually let them slide for the public to see.

That aside, you guys still have the best whey I've ever tried, bar none (even if I don't use whey anymore).