Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More fallout from Silk Road. First bitcoin money laundering case?

[QUOTE]The operators of two exchanges for the virtual currency Bitcoin have been arrested in the US.

The Department of Justice said Robert Faiella, known as BTCKing, and Charlie Shrem from BitInstant.com have both been charged with money laundering.

The authorities said the pair were engaged in a scheme to sell more than $1m (

Default Re: More fallout from Silk Road. First bitcoin money laundering case?

The complaint unsealed on Monday suggested that Mr. Shrem and his business partners were themselves grappling with what was and was not allowed.
    I wonder if he believed this part in bold?
    When a co-founder of BitInstant asked Mr. Shrem why he was working with someone with such clear affiliation with Silk Road, Mr. Shrem wrote in an email in 2012 that, “he has not broken a law and Silk Road itself is not illegal,” according to the complaint. Mr. Shrem added, “[COLOR="Red"]We make good profit from him[/COLOR].”
    Or did the red part just make him want to believe it.

These losers

There's already been another Silk Road for months. They should just admit their jobs are a waste of time and money and **** off.

interesting that HSBC got off with a slap on the wrist and not a single criminal charge levied against anybody and here we have what amounts to a small fry and the DoJ puffing it's chest like they just dunked on Shaq or something when In truth all they manged was a dunk over Earl Boykins on an 8 foot rim.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    interesting that HSBC got off with a slap on the wrist and not a single criminal charge levied against anybody and here we have what amounts to a small fry and the DoJ puffing it's chest like they just dunked on Shaq or something when In truth all they manged was a dunk over Earl Boykins on an 8 foot rim.

Perfect analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    How are they puffing out their chests?

And how does a $2 billion fine and a delayed prosecution agreement = slap on the wrist?

So people create a currency that's harder to track, use it to buy drugs, and are seemingly upset the government seems to be going after it. Um, ok.

They'll use any excuse to start cracking down on bitcoin. Typical government behaviour: gotta control absolutely everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    They'll use any excuse to start cracking down on bitcoin. Typical government behaviour: gotta control absolutely everything.
    So money laundering is ok?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    So people create a currency that's harder to track, use it to buy drugs, and are seemingly upset the government seems to be going after it. Um, ok.

my thoughts exactly. I can't believe people are somehow surprised that the gov. is monitoring a fake currency primarily used to buy drugs.

Just use cash.

This has nothing to do with money laundering, and it has everything to do with the state trying to get their grubby hands all over digital currencies. Obviously they don't like the idea of competing currencies when they are running their own into the ground.

This 'money laundering' is little different than me going to a bank, changing my pounds into dollars, and then walking outside and buying some drugs with those dollars. Silk Road actually sold plenty of legal products as well, so i don't see how it is his responsibility what people did with their bitcoins. It's all rather pathetic and desperate from the DEA: people will keep using digital currencies and silk road type sites will continue to thrive, while they continue to fight the same futile battle they've been fighting ever since Nixon first established that joke of an agency (while saying btw 'it's about targeting the blacks without seeming to').

The federal government has been exercising power beyond its right for a long time, so its actions carry no moral legitimacy with me, and they shouldn't with anyone else.
    Last edited by Dresta; 01-28-2014 at 09:48 AM.

This has nothing to do with money laundering, and it has everything to do with the state trying to get their grubby hands all over digital currencies. Obviously they don't like the idea of competing currencies when they are running their own into the ground.

This 'money laundering' is little different than me going to a bank, changing my pounds into dollars, and then walking outside and buying some drugs with those dollars. Silk Road actually sold plenty of legal products as well, so i don't see how it is his responsibility what people did with their bitcoins. It's all rather pathetic and desperate from the DEA: people will keep using digital currencies and silk road type sites will continue to thrive, while they continue to fight the same futile battle they've been fighting ever since Nixon first established that joke of an agency (while saying btw 'it's about targeting the blacks without seeming to').
    It sounds a lot like money laundering. I appreciate your little diatribe, but the situation described in OP's post is money laundering. Not sure what your 100 words after have to do with anything except you are in favor of bitcoin, Sounds great. But you can't make a currency, use it to launder money, and expect it to be ok.

You're arguing a whole bunch of other things about the govt not wanting bitcoin, etc. but to me that's not relevant to going after a crime. If people are going to use this as a currency, it needs to be regulated as a currency.

There is a case right now about someone basically scamming people out of approx $1B in bitcoins. The person who took them can't even use them, essentially he made them usuable. The govt is prosecuting him too. If this is going to be used as real money, there has to be some regulation to it.
    Last edited by niko; 01-28-2014 at 09:49 AM.

The Federal Government should focus on regulating its own currency properly instead of scamming the whole country by creating huge amounts out of thin air and handing it straight to banks.

It is so ****ing obvious why they're going after bitcoin and this has been expected for months by anyone who has a bit of sense. The charges are tenuous to say the least considering a bitcoin exchange is not a bank, and there is nothing stopping someone conducting business with Americans from another country. Or perhaps the US will take it to the UN and enforce their laws around the world, as they did with drugs the first time round.

The Federal Government should focus on regulating its own currency properly instead of scamming the whole country by creating huge amounts out of thin air and handing it straight to banks.

It is so ****ing obvious why they're going after bitcoin and this has been expected for months by anyone who has a bit of sense. The charges are tenuous to say the least considering a bitcoin exchange is not a bank, and there is nothing stopping someone conducting business with Americans from another country. Or perhaps the US will take it to the UN and enforce their laws around the world, as they did with drugs the first time round.
    You're just ranting on a totally separate topic. It's money laundering. Saying they should focus on other things is not a valid argument to not pursue a crime.

They should be locking themselves up tbh.