Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: NBA scorekeeper discussion. Im just that bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Walt Frazier actually having 36/9 and not 36/19 in game 7(The Reed game). Ive watched that game and I didnt notice that many assists but I wasnt counting. history records maybe the best game 7 ever. A poster here claimed he counted 9. All I know.

yeah i got the same impression after watching the game

Quote:
I know Shane Battier once said he was told to shoot the long 3 at the buzzer every time when he was in Houston because the home scorekeeper wouldnt count the miss. Only the make if it goes in. They did it because guys got worried about shooting percentages. Bit of homecooking there.

im not sure, but i think you have this wrong

the rockets keep their own stats (as im sure plenty of other teams do now) on shooting. they dont just look at 3pt shooting, they make note of if a shot is contested or not, where its from, what the game situation is.

so i think when battier's 3pt miss happens, the official score keeper will recognise it, but the rockets internal database will note that it was just a half court heave at the end a quarter.

so when the rockets are looking at battiers shooting #s they wont take those misses into account

i think i remember battier saying that he was still worried that other teams, that may want to sign him may not be as diligent with stats as the rockets are, so he still didnt like taking those end of quarter prayers
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Steal or block? Varies from city to city.... Think of it as the Karl Malone swipe... a move which Dirk uses a lot as well. Some cities say it is a steal, others give them a block....

speaking of battier again, in chris ballards book, the beautiful game, battier had a bit of a gripe with the scorekeepers, about them confusing blocks and steals
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
mugiwara
High School Starter

Pau Gasol triple triple doubles

To be noted.
- All games were at home
- All videos it says full highlights, I'm only counting from these videos.

-Counting off the bounce (1 dribble)
-Tap outs count as rebound for the big
- Post entry pass is counted if its a catch and shoot, one fluid dribble allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKgtYXmdF0

statline - 26/11/10

in video -26/7/7

*first assist they show should be bucket for Pau lol

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQ7ThH0Uds[url]

statline - 11/13/10

in video - 11/12/8

*1:56 assist Goatlock receives pass from Gasol, shoots after a pause loooong pause.
*3:20 lob to dwight doesn't fully come off, D12 turns it in too two.
*counted a goudelock 2 off the bounce at 3:00

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4oJ2HBtKQ[url]

statline - 17/20/11

in video -17/17/8

* 1:50 Gasol kicks to Morris on the perimeter, takes two dribbles around the screen set by Gasol. Thats who you get extra points in 2k but is it an assist? not counted.
*2:28 Entry pass to D12, takes a dribble, head fake and then bucket. As the announcer says Gasol is averaging 6 assists for the month.
*4:13 passes to Meeks in the corner and he drives to the basket for the clutch dunk, would count in my books if it was off a cut. Assist should go to Harden.

Id have to watch the full games to be sure, i didn't see any rebounds that i thought were given.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I noticed the Rockets giving James Harden a lot of "Maaaaaaan..." level assists last year. You wouldn't think he would need that with all the shooters he has...but I spotted quite a few. He and paul together?

Just wait till ESPN starts tracking the most games with 2 double digit assist teammates. Paul and Harden will average 11 a game each in January.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #35
Hey Yo
Very good NBA starter

Nowadays with a lot of the missed shots being tapped back out to the perimeter , I wonder who gets credit there for the rebound. The guy who tapped it back out or the the perimeter guy who gained possession from the tap back?
Hey Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #36
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Whoever got the most All-Star votes.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #37
julizaver
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Whoever got the most All-Star votes.

Due to some discussions I review the game, which endend Lakers 33 winning streak (the whole game is on youtube) and (just copy paste from my post in http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...39506&page=8):

I just rewatch the entire game, which ended Lakers 33 winning streak (it is available at youtube and unlike some earlier versions is really the whole game). Some posters (Psileas, Laz) mentioned that they tracked the stats and they differed from the official one, I took the pencil and track everything on paper. The game was played in Milwaukee and the official data was:

13.Date: Sun 01/09/72
- Chamberlain 15 pts, 12 rebs, 2 as, 6 blocks, 7-11 FG/FGA L
-Abdul-Jabbar 39 pts, 20 rebs, 5 as, 9 blocks, 18-34 FG/FGA W

My data after watching (points and fg/fga the same):

Chamberlain 16 rebounds, 6 blocks
Kareem 16 rebounds, 4 blocks ???

The statisticians took 4 rebounds from Wilt, add 4 for more to Kareem and add also 5 blocks !!!
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #38
Dro
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by julizaver
Due to some discussions I review the game, which endend Lakers 33 winning streak (the whole game is on youtube) and (just copy paste from my post in http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...39506&page=8):

I just rewatch the entire game, which ended Lakers 33 winning streak (it is available at youtube and unlike some earlier versions is really the whole game). Some posters (Psileas, Laz) mentioned that they tracked the stats and they differed from the official one, I took the pencil and track everything on paper. The game was played in Milwaukee and the official data was:

13.Date: Sun 01/09/72
- Chamberlain 15 pts, 12 rebs, 2 as, 6 blocks, 7-11 FG/FGA L
-Abdul-Jabbar 39 pts, 20 rebs, 5 as, 9 blocks, 18-34 FG/FGA W

My data after watching (points and fg/fga the same):

Chamberlain 16 rebounds, 6 blocks
Kareem 16 rebounds, 4 blocks ???

The statisticians took 4 rebounds from Wilt, add 4 for more to Kareem and add also 5 blocks !!!
Wow.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #39
CuterThanRubio
#NBAChampionSteveNash

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=406653

^^^^^

Soak it in!

+I have no doubts that Harden (and Westbrook) is being gifted bonus stats, I haven't researched the home and away differentials but it could be a solid thread concept.

In all likelihood Westbrooks triple double average fell short if all of his dimes were correctly registered.

+ Chris Paul was a + .7 at home the last time I checked, talk about home cooking.

Keep in mind those numbers are only what the scorekeeper decided to give, I think it is clear that the legitimacy is more questionable the higher that number goes, home court advantage is real when it comes to assists
CuterThanRubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #40
King Baron
Phil GOAT GM

The concept of stat inflation for marketing and the opposite based on personal player dislike is a very important topic actually.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed reading the article. It's one of those unseen things behind the curtains. People don't really actively take it into consideration in their evaluation of players.
King Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #41
jbryan1984
Great college starter

There probably are a ton of errors but Ii would think the NBA has a guy doing points, one doing rebounds, another doing assists, etc. Part of me feels like this is a very important job and they should have to go back and review videos after the game as part of the job. I myself have done HS basketball, being the only one logging everything. And we know MOST HS basketball games are slow and not very high scoring and it is still a major challenge to keep up with everything.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #42
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Apparently Jokic had a triple double against Houston and they never gave him the 10th assist. Some guy on reddit figured it out with video/gif's and everything. I watched the game and wouldn't have really noticed or cared enough. Kinda interesting tho given how the give Harden dimes for everything.
NuggetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: