Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller ndPac's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone ever watch The Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I didn't really think so. From an aggregate point of view, yes its highly unlikely that he would get away every time but thats how all shows are. Not much different then Omar walking around the streets all day every day with a shotgun. There wasn't any instance though where he got away and it wasn't believable. The only thing I would say is the whole immunity thing. Can someone seriously get immunity even from killing a cop?

True that makes sense... Just when Vic would do stuff like locking those two drug dealers in that dumpster over night and having them fight it out to the death for turf just seemed like something that would never happen.. and the whole robbing the Armenias like that what cop would be able to do that and get a group of cops to do it too and not get caught..

True not much different from Omar though. I often thought in those scenes where he would rob the stash house and he would turn he back to the door and the guys inside would open the window and drop the stash out of it for me.. made no sense he wasn't even looking they could have easily shot and killed him right there. i always hated that scene because it just seemed so dumb

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I could see that. I still don't think it made sense to kill the kid.
    He killed his kid because he couldn't stand the thought of Vic seeing his kid while he was in jail. They made that pretty obvious.

Southland is the best cop show out there.

Better than all the shows out there combined!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    Southland is the best cop show out there.

Better than all the shows out there combined!
    I like Southland, and last season with Lucy Liu was fantastic, but it's still not as good as The Shield.

I've heard about this show but never took the time to really watch it. If I watch anything on regular television (excluding premiums sites such as HBO, etc) I typically watch History Channel, Discovery, National Geo, and of course ESPN, some MSNBC here and there, Fox News when I want to have a good laugh or two. You know, the normal shit. I've never been into cable sitcoms though. I heard Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (just throwing two examples out there) is some of the best stuff since on television in decades, but I just haven't been convinced enough to invest myself into them.

Am I missing out? What else is currently on the tube that the common everyday viewer should be watching but might be missing out on ?

Why is it called "The Shield" ? ... LOL, IDK, 100% of the time when I hear the word shield being used I think of a rubber to protect me from that HIV shit, because frankly, shields haven't technically or physically been used since what, the King Author-ish era? Fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k a shield, and fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k a condom. Me and my soon to be wife about 11 months ago decided to leave the shield off of my "shining armor" for the night, and the result was a magical conception. On January 3rd of 2013 my soon to be spouse an I had a son. His name is Legend. When the time comes, we'll have that birds and the bees conversation, and I'll educate the boy on "the shield" and it sure as fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k won't be about some POS television show.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Why is it called "The Shield" ? ... LOL, IDK, 100% of the time when I hear the word shield being used I think of a rubber to protect me from that HIV shit, because frankly, shields haven't technically or physically been used since what, the King Author-ish era? Fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k a shield, and fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k a condom. Me and my soon to be wife about 11 months ago decided to leave the shield off of my "shining armor" for the night, and the result was a magical conception. On January 3rd of 2013 my soon to be spouse an I had a son. His name is Legend. When the time comes, we'll have that birds and the bees conversation, and I'll educate the boy on "the shield" and it sure as fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k won't be about some POS television show.

That was the worst attempt at humor ever. That could be the opening paragraph in a book entitled "how not to be funny but instead come off as a douche".

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    That was the worst attempt at humor ever. That could be the opening paragraph in a book entitled "how not to be funny but instead come off as a douche".
    LOL, Jesus man, lighten up. Far too often posters like you, instead of just ignoring something stupid like my post(s) you have to pretend like you have a stick up your ass or being on your period responding with a typical "" remark. It's just a message board, man. It's not as serious a place as you'd like to believe it is. Relax bro, relax.

ummmmm, k?

I mean, I could make some fruitless post/comment about how a poster with almost 25k posts over countless years has never once posted anything slightly humorous, clever, or even remotely intelligent, but that would be the equivalent of raking leaves on a windy day. No point. But, if it makes you feel better pointing out the obvious, then by all means, feel free to waste your time.
    Last edited by Legend of Josh; 02-17-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

The Wire wasn't just a cop show...it was also told from the point of view of the drug dealers, port city dudes, and middle school kids. And those were my favorite scenes. The cop scenes weren't as interesting to me.

Is The Shield like that? Or is it it always about the cops?

Why is it called "The Shield" ?

It's referring to the badge that cops wear. The title is symbolic in a way because that badge allows them to get away with their crimes. This squad harasses low level thugs, extorts drug dealers and gangsters, and pulls a ton of shit because they have power. Everyone else has to play by the rules but they are shielded from them.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    The Wire wasn't just a cop show...it was also told from the point of view of the drug dealers, port city dudes, and middle school kids. And those were my favorite scenes. The cop scenes weren't as interesting to me.

Is The Shield like that? Or is it it always about the cops?
    No, the Shield absolutely doesn't have the scale/realism of the Wire. Not comparable shows at all. The Shield is a TV show, whereas the Wire feels like someone just had an all-access pass to something that was actually happening.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 02-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.

LOL, Jesus man, lighten up. Far too often posters like you, instead of just ignoring something stupid like my post(s) you have to pretend like you have a stick up your ass or being on your period responding with a typical "" remark. It's just a message board, man. It's not as serious a place as you'd like to believe it is. Relax bro, relax.

ummmmm, k?

I mean, I could make some fruitless post/comment about how a poster with almost 25k posts over countless years has never once posted anything slightly humorous, clever, or even remotely intelligent, but that would be the equivalent of raking leaves on a windy day. No point. But, if it makes you feel better pointing out the obvious, then by all means, feel free to waste your time.
    I didn't ask you to be serious I asked you to be funny. That wasn't funny. I like funny. That was Terrible.

I liked The Shield, a lot. JDG is right in that there's no comparison with The Wire though. At the end of the day Shield was still a TV show and acted like one, Wire was something else completely.

I've heard a lot of people complain about Shield, and I think the reason is that the story isn't always great until the shocking moments happen. I think the biggest reason I liked it was that the character development was excellent to watch. I'd say very few recent shows managed it better.

3-time NBA All-Star

By the way, Forest Whitaker, Glen Close, and Anthony Anderson have some great roles in this show.

To anyone thats watched this show, I'd say these are the top 5 most shocking moments of the show (SPOILERS):

1. Shane killing Lem
    2. Aceveda forced to suck a dick
    3. Shane killing himself and his family
    4. Vick killing Terry
    5. Vick confessing to everything and screwing over Ronnie in the process

Anything I'm missing?

I tried getting into the show but i was a no go.