Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Default Lopez is the biggest NBA dissapointment?

Quote:
John Hollinger has named his All-Disappointment Team and his poster boy is Brook Lopez. Worse than that, Hollinger believes Lopez is no longer much of a magnet for Carmelo Anthony. "He's talented and he's only 22, so there's still hope that he can emerge into more of a force," writes Hollinger, once a big fan. "Alas, it increasingly looks like New Jerseys' big man will merely be a serviceable starter rather than a perennial star."
http://www.netsdaily.com/

I don't really think so. As he stated he is only 22. Which is still very young in the NBA.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Blu
I brick open layups

Default Re: Lopez is the biggest NBA dissapointment?

He's not even playing that bad tbh.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
John Hollinger has named his All-Disappointment Team and his poster boy is Brook Lopez. Worse than that, Hollinger believes Lopez is no longer much of a magnet for Carmelo Anthony. "He's talented and he's only 22, so there's still hope that he can emerge into more of a force," writes Hollinger, once a big fan. "Alas, it increasingly looks like New Jerseys' big man will merely be a serviceable starter rather than a perennial star."

http://www.netsdaily.com/

just one more piece of evidence that john hollinger is pretty-much a total idiot when it comes to basketball. as usual.

i swear- every season he finds at least a couple of issues to be totally, glaringly, and embarrassingly wrong about, yet legions of anxious and gullible NBA fans still take him seriously year after year "because he's the NBA formula master, man."

so pardon me while i go dig a 12-foot hole and jump into it head-first, hoping to never have to hear a second-hand word from hollinger again. (suffocating would be the least of my worries)

information alert:

- lopez already proved how good he is from his first two seasons. so unless he's suffered a critical and unannounced injury, or his brain suddenly shrank, then there's not a reason on earth why anyone should consider him a worse player than he was.

- he's playing under a new coach, in a new offense, and is clearly attempting to play a more perimeter-oriented role. and while that personally displeases me, that doesn't mean in the slightest that lopez is any worse than he was last year. in fact, if anything, it shows that he is trying to grow and to struggle through the process. i mean, if he was actually getting worse, then he would be doing the same thing he was doing last year, and doing it worse. which he's not.

- the nets have nothing to lose by using lopez in this new way, this season. i.e., the nets were not going anywhere this year, anyway, and any struggles lopez is going through now will only make him that much better later on, and will only give the nets that much better of a draft, next season. (at least- that's my personal thinking on the matter)

- he's a third-year center who has legit center size, weight, and skills. these guys are already very rare, and even the most casual NBA fan will tell you that they take the longest to develop out of all five positions. yet john hollinger suddenly has a burr up his arse because brook lopez didn't make a nice, smooth statistical trend upward for hollinger to rely on.

so give me a friggen' break.

and if i ever needed a final piece of information to conclude that hollinger's job is to sell precious ESPN subscriptions and nothing but, then this was it.

john hollinger never played basketball at any serious level and never had a basketball player's understanding of the game. or even a basic strategist's understanding of it, for that matter.

instead, he's shown that a statistician / sabremetrics-type guy can enthrall a bunch of people and make himself rich through a series of questionable analyses and impressive numbers... which can indeed cause folks (such as myself) to stroke their chins in fascination. for awhile.

regardless, is there any reason on earth anymore not to ignore ESPN? i mean, from the brain-dead and meaningless 'highlights,' to the unashamed ass-kissing of sports prima donnas, to the boys' club sexual harassment suits, to the keeping of sports 'experts' who know nothing about actual sports, to the transparent pleading for money via their "exclusive articles"...

i mean, i can get all of the same information elsewhere, and without that level of annoyance and headaches.

so that is all. so carry on, and best wishes to you as an independent thinker and free individual who doesn't need any particular place to tell you what your opinion is. :P
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
whaley82
High School JV MVP

Something else that I've noticed that has put Lopez off his game a little as well is, that because he is a threat, opposing teams are using a double when he catches it down low. This does take time to get used to its not the same going from single coverage to being doubled. So I believe in this new system with him being out a little more so they cant double him will make him much stronger because when teams double hell be able to pop out and when they dont double hell destroy them down low. But as Gigantes stated....Hollinger is a joke. plain and simple.
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

The problem with him is rebounding this season. Yes he's shooting poorly at about 46%, but no one would blame him if he grabs 9+ rebounds per game instead of 6-.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
5 Star
Can barely lace up my sneakers

It's really unfair to label him a disappointment. Brook is solid in my opinion. The biggest disappointment is this franchise and the effort it's getting out of it's other players, or lack of effort.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Blu
I brick open layups

last two games, he's put up 30 + points. Team is still rebounding at a top level. Unfortunately, they are young and it is not transferring to wins. Eventually something will click. I wish these trade talks would end because our youth is where we should be focusing on.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: