Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    so, you hate duke? All those cats were decent in college (except for randolph, who never really got a chance before he gave up).
    Yeah, Sebastian Telfair was really decent at riding the pine for the Blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Those guys were pretty much all great college players. How about:

Ndudi Ebi
    Malik Hairston
    Robert Swift
    Gerald Green
    Javaris Crittenton
    Bill Walker
    Telfair (I agree)
    BJ Mullens

Those were all top 10 guys coming out of HS.
    Good list. Thanks for the contributions in lieu of saying guys like Greg Paulus and Shavlik Randolph didn't suck.

Billy Walker's injuries really delayed his arrival. He still has some time before I'd consider him a bust. B.J. Mullens has some more time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    Bill Walker is easily one of them. The guy was the product of OJ Mayo. OJ made him look like a top 10 player in the country. I remember when they were #1 and #2 overall recruits in their class of 2007 in 2006. Then Oj maintained his #1 ranking where Walker fall to 8th. Then Mayo was the 3rd pick and runner up to rookie of the year, plays for Team USA, and was arguably the 2nd best player in today's Team USA showcase. Walker was a 2nd rounder who went to the D-League.
    Billy's injuries made him look like a D-leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    And it started out really stupid.
    Oh, the irony. Have fun losing to Izzo by double digits twice this year.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
    Yeah, Sebastian Telfair was really decent at riding the pine for the Blazers.
    NBA success has nothing to do with this topic.

]. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?
    Ugghh, you and your big words. Quit using them; they make me feel bad, and they don't help your argument. You sound like I did when I was 18 and just got out of a debate class.

Quote Originally Posted by Court Vision
    NBA success has nothing to do with this topic.
    Considering I'm the author of said topic, I'm pretty sure I know that.

You completely missed the point.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
    Considering I'm the author of said topic, I'm pretty sure I know that.

You completely missed the point.
    So what is the point? Duke players who you don't like and NBA players who didn't pan out?

Quote Originally Posted by Court Vision
    So what is the point? Duke players who you don't like and NBA players who didn't pan out?
    Dear God.

Go read the post I made about Telfair and the quote I was replying too.

Put your friggin' thinkin cap on.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Mike Robinson, played at Purdue from 96-00. I have no idea where he was rated but he was a McDonald's AA (last one Purdue's had) that had a career line of 10/5/2 and only started maybe half of the games, even as a senior.
    Last edited by InspiredLebowski; 07-25-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Axion, you're lucky you were allowed to stick around after your first round of douchebaggery. This was a stupid thread that was poorly thought-out, and I responded at length more than once, explaining why.

If you continue to be a prick, your second tour of obnoxiousness will be cut very short.

Please tell me where Rickert was hyped as another Larry Bird. And even if he was, that's more of a case of idiots breathlessly heaping unrealistic expectations on a kid than him being "overrated." Again, he was a good college player who made a mistake in going pro too early.

And this stupid assertion that Josh McRoberts'- or anyone else's- performance in college is meaningless because a few guys went pro straight out of high school....you can't really believe that, can you? Yes, McRoberts was soft and received plenty of criticism for being so, but again, that's another case of a guy going pro too early. That doesn't make him one of the most overrated recruits ever. He'd have been an All-American had he stayed for his junior year.

This thread's done now. Stop being an ass.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 07-25-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Axion, you're lucky you were allowed to stick around after your first round of douchebaggery. This was a stupid thread that was poorly thought-out, and I responded at length more than once, explaining why.

If you continue to be a prick, your second tour of obnoxiousness will be cut very short.

Please tell me where Rickert was hyped as another Larry Bird. And even if he was, that's more of a case of idiots breathlessly heaping unrealistic expectations on a kid than him being "overrated." Again, he was a good college player who made a mistake in going pro too early.

And this stupid assertion that Josh McRoberts'- or anyone else's- performance in college is meaningless because a few guys went pro straight out of high school....you can't really believe that, can you? Yes, McRoberts was soft and received plenty of criticism for being so, but again, that's another case of a guy going pro too early. That doesn't make him one of the most overrated recruits ever. He'd have been an All-American had he stayed for his junior year.
    This thread's done now. Stop being an ass.
    In the Valley of the Blind, the one-eyed man is king. All bigs worth their salt aren't in college past one year,and in the mid-00s they weren't even stepping foot on college courts.

Rick Rickert and Josh McRoberts were rated at or near the top of their class. Neither dominated the college game, both were soft as Hell, and neither made/has made an impact in the pros, thus they were egregiously overrated. As was Greg Paulus, Brian Zoubek, and a slew of others. In a few years, I'm fairly confident we'll be able to say the same about Jared Sullinger, while Perry Jones is playing in All Star games.
    Last edited by AxionJaxion; 07-29-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Those guys were pretty much all great college players. How about:

Ndudi Ebi
    Malik Hairston
    Robert Swift
    Gerald Green
    Javaris Crittenton
    Bill Walker
    Telfair (I agree)
    BJ Mullens

Those were all top 10 guys coming out of HS.
    McRoberts, Paulus, and Randolph never turned out to be great college players. And keep in mind, McRoberts was the Gatorade High School Player of the Year.

And isn't this supposed to be a thread about overrated recruits for colleges? Not overrated guys who jumped from high school to the NBA?

For all his fanfare, Marvin Williams college career wasn't the greatest, but I bet it would have been if he stayed even one more year.
    Taylor King, he hasn't done much of anything after playing in the McD's All-American game.
    Vernon Macklin was supposed to be an absolute beast on any level, he's turned into an average to good university player, which isn't great considering he was supposed to be one of the next great bigs in the L.
    DeAndre Jordan and B.J. Mullens never lived up to the hype in college.
    Derrick Caracter, he was a huge disappointment at Louisville, probably one of the most talented bigs in his high school class.
    Malik Hairston is probably the biggest disappointment, "I"m going to Carmelo-ize the Ducks".
    Rudy Gay had a very unassuming career in university for all the hype attributed him.

Some that I got, remember, that's all based on their college career. Not what they did afterwards.
    Last edited by Fl; 07-29-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Some of the most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Wow, some people can't see anything past their rivals. Harrison Barnes? Really? I mean, I agree a LITTLE on Lebron...he's nowhere near as good a player as the media claims, but sheesh. Just because he's taking a free agent contract to go to Miami doesn't make him a bust.

As for a REAL bust, it would have to be someone that who was supposed to be all-world, take their college to a title (or two) and then either rode the bench or left school and were never heard from again.

Like...[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe_L%C3%B3pez_(basketball)"]Felipe L

I rule the local playground darius15's Avatar

Default Re: Some of the most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

LOL at all the Duke names.