Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: How many nights a week do you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    P-Tiddy got brainwashed by those religious zealots at AA.

Nope.
    I've never done AA, what I'm saying should just be common sense, its a shame it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K
    Here is primeitme 5 years ago trying to make it a goal to get drunk once a week
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95139

And now he is hating on people who do that. In fact, most people in this thread say once a week is ok
    I like that test he posted, we should fill it out:

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    I have done well in limiting myself to 2-3 times a week right now...

I am trying to get it down to just once a week on the weekends

in the past is was more like 4-5...it was pretty ridiculous

I will say this right now though...if you are getting hammered 2-3 times a week then you have a serious problem....as I in fact do.

I used to think that an alcoholic is someone that drinks every night and even during the day and that 2-3 times a week was normal...but I was very wrong.

this is the test most doctors use to determine if you need help:

1.How often do you drink alcohol?

(0) Never
    (1) Monthly
    (2) 2-4 times a month
    (3) 2-3 times a week
    (4) 4 or more times a week

2.How many units of alcohol do you drink on a typical day?

(0) 1 or 2
    (1) 3 or 4
    (I guess a .5)
    (2) 5 or 6
    (3) 7, 8 or 9
    (4) 10 or more

3.How often do you have six or more units of alcohol on one occasion?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly
    (4) Daily or almost daily

4.How often during the last year have you found that you were not able to stop drinking once you had started?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

5. How often during the last year have you failed to do what was expected of you because of drinking?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

6. How often during the last year have you needed a drink first thing in the morning to get yourself going after a heavy drinking session?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

7. How often during the last year have you felt guilt or remorse after drinking?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

8. How often during the last year have you been unable to remember what happened the night before because you had been drinking?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

9. Have you or someone else been injured as a result of your drinking?

(0) No
    (2) Yes, but not in the last year
    (3) Yes, during the last year

10. Has a relative, friend, doctor or health worker been concerned about your drinking or suggested you cut down?

(0) No
    (2) Yes, but not in the last year
    (3) Yes, during the last year

a score over 20 means you have a serious problem...

in fact they say if you score above an 8 that you are drinking too much
    a 7.5, I guess I'm in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K
    What I meant by the "single parent" comment was if you are not a single parent then you will help taking care of your kids. So if you are not a single parent, I can easily see getting by not taking care of your kids EVERY minute of EVERY night. hence, no problems

i dont say be an alcoholic and get drunk every night. those are the people who have issues and lose their children and so on. But thinking that you can't even go all out once a week is naive
    You still think like a naive kid. If you aren't a piss poor parent, kids drain the energy out of you, assuming you have a full time job. They need you to take time out of your hands to take care of their needs. You have to take care of their medical issues and extracurricular activities to enrich them physically/mentally. Even after you do that, there are things that you need to take care of your own like investments, sorting out home finances, taking care of your home and providing improvements. All these things can be prepared for, but they most of the time, you won't be efficient with handling all of this stuff.

If you don't skip on any of that stuff, you won't have much free time.

When you are young, getting drunk once a week isn't too significant because you don't have too many responsibilities. When you get older and your body starts slowing down, you can't afford that when you have people depending on you.

Quote Originally Posted by ballup
    You still think like a naive kid. If you aren't a piss poor parent, kids drain the energy out of you, assuming you have a full time job. They need you to take time out of your hands to take care of their needs. You have to take care of their medical issues and extracurricular activities to enrich them physically/mentally. Even after you do that, there are things that you need to take care of your own like investments, sorting out home finances, taking care of your home and providing improvements. All these things can be prepared for, but they most of the time, you won't be efficient with handling all of this stuff.

If you don't skip on any of that stuff, you won't have much free time.

When you are young, getting drunk once a week isn't too significant because you don't have too many responsibilities. When you get older and your body starts slowing down, you can't afford that when you have people depending on you.
    I don't agree with any of that.

He is absolutely correct, children are much more work than a full time job. You think working an 8 hour day is rough? Try watching after a toddler for an entire day, you'll be completely drained of your sanity. Going to work during the day IS FREEDOM if anything.

The worst part is the lack of sleep...when you have an infant you barely sleep at all, they have to eat during the night and need diaper changes, or they just wake up screaming for no reason in general.

If I were to go out drinking even one night my wife would have her work cut out to the extreme...once a week I am sure would not be tolerated at all, it would probably cause a divorce...I know I wouldn't tolerate her getting wasted every weekend, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I told you Doc I understood your mindset...
    I got 6 points on your "doctor quiz". And that includes my get drunk weekly mindset. I guess I should be fine then.

1.How often do you drink alcohol?

(0) Never
    (1) Monthly
    (2) 2-4 times a month
    (3) 2-3 times a week
    (4) 4 or more times a week

2.How many units of alcohol do you drink on a typical day?

(0) 1 or 2
    (1) 3 or 4 (I guess a .5)
    (2) 5 or 6
    (3) 7, 8 or 9
    (4) 10 or more

3.How often do you have six or more units of alcohol on one occasion?

(0) Never
    (1) Less than monthly
    (2) Monthly
    (3) Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    He is absolutely correct, children are much more work than a full time job. You think working an 8 hour day is rough? Try watching after a toddler for an entire day, you'll be completely drained of your sanity. Going to work during the day IS FREEDOM if anything.

The worst part is the lack of sleep...when you have an infant you barely sleep at all, they have to eat during the night and need diaper changes, or they just wake up screaming for no reason in general.

If I were to go out drinking even one night my wife would have her work cut out to the extreme...once a week I am sure would not be tolerated at all, it would probably cause a divorce...I know I wouldn't tolerate her getting wasted every weekend, hell no.

I would divorce my wife if she could not understand going out ONE NIGHT per week. Like you are there 7 days and 6 nights of the week, but your wife can't handle 1 night of the week? #Divorce

You must just be whipped

If you ever have a family you'll see...you can bump this years from now when it happens to say "you were right PT"

Youre just a child, you are just now legal to drink...let's see what 5 years of the bar and club scene do to you.

during this summer 2-3 days i drink enough to get drunk.

when i'm in college probly 3-4 days of getting drunk and atleast one day a week of just getting extremely f*cked up to the point when i wake up in bedding wondering how the **** i got home and why the only think left in my wallet is one crinkled one dollar bill and a piece of link.

Right now, the loss of my ex that I loved to another dude has got me going for the gusto in the drinking dept. Like all things though it'll pass and I end up doing once a week maybe even once every two weeks.

rank sentamentalist

ljj you're from friesland? you guys are like the punching bag of the country, no? i worked with a guy from friesland while i was over there and he caught flack, prolly has at least something to do with the drinking problem i imagine

i've never actually looked them up but i've heard often enough about long term studies attempting to correlate life expectancy with drinking habits, and generally speaking the results were

moderate drinkers lived the longest
    heavy drinkers came next (and that includes, yakno, "accidents")
    abstainers came last

which i always laughed at. plenty of ways to interpret that of course, but it mainly signals that in our culture anyway at least some drinking is a strong indicator of a lower stress level and ability to relax, and in lots of cases actually contributes to those outcomes.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Drank a little bit when I was in the Army, as in once or twice a week. But it was always in a social setting. I understand its appeal, and I keep a bottle of wine in the apartment just in case the occasion calls for it, but other than that I may drink 3-4 times a year, and it's always in social settings.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

been out drinking each of the last 9 nights. was vacationing in Miami. back to real life

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

I don't limit myself to night drinking. I chunked down 3 Strawberritas in a row after work Friday and it was good. You can get more buzz and quicker if it tastes good yeah buddy

In college 5 or so, now <1