Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Bill Russell Vertical Leap

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Sure there are plenty of accounts of Wilt and Russell doing things. Like fighting mountain lions with his bare hands or making change at the top of the backboard, sleeping with 20,000 women, could have beat up world champion and top 5 boxer of all time Muhammad Ali and that Ali was in fact scared of him lol...

I guess we should believe all these because of accounts from the past...
    Regarding the mountain lion story, I believe Psileas addressed that. It was entirely possible. Touching the top of the backboard...several eye-witness accounts, including the legendary Sonny Hill. Sleeping with 20,000 women? That number did not actually come from Wilt, although he admitted it. It came from a friend who owned a hotel in Hawaii. In a ten day stay, he counted 23 different women going to Wilt's room. Wilt was around 50 at the time. 2x365= approx 700 x 30 years = approx 20,000. In any case, there are many that would confirm that Chamberlain had a TON of women in his life. Of that there is no dispute. Incidently, he did regret making that "20,000 women" comment. As for fighting Ali. Yes, TWO LEGITIMATE offers. You care to dispute that?

NBA rookie of the year

Mountain lions are notorious p******. Berating them verbally is often all that is needed. I once made one cry by calling him a f**.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Oh, here is a fun fact as well.

James White, who's only an inch or two shorter than Bill Russell recorded a jump 8 inches higher than Russels best, can't touch the backboard, though Russell can.

Amazing.

There we go. Case closed. Stop posting Kblaze, jlauber and PHILA you look stupid. More stupid than usual.
    ONCE AGAIN....TECHNIQUE you IDIOT! Remember the "Fosbury Flop" that I posted in response to one of your many stupid posts in this thread??????
    And White was 6-7 BTW.

3-time NBA All-Star

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

"The Fosbury Flop is a style used in the athletics event of high jump. It was popularized and perfected by American athlete Dick Fosbury, whose gold medal in the 1968 Summer Olympics brought it to the world's attention. Over the next few years the flop became the dominant style of the event and remains so today. Before Fosbury, most elite jumpers used the Straddle technique, Western Roll, Eastern cut-off or even Scissors-Jump to clear the bar. Given that landing surfaces had previously been sandpits or low piles of matting, high jumpers of earlier years had to land on their feet or at least land carefully to prevent injury. With the advent of deep foam matting high jumpers were able to be more adventurous in their landing styles and hence experiment with styles of jumping and giving jumpers about 25% higher jumps."
    Last edited by jlauber; 07-28-2010 at 01:11 AM.

'Rumor has it that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was 7 feet 2 inches without shoes, and over 7 foot 3 with shoes, once stood next to Bill Russell, holding a basketball. He then looked at Bill and said, "Hey, can you touch the ball without standing on your toes?" He then held the ball as high up above his head as he could, asking Bill to try to touch the ball without standing on his toes, and which point Bill walked over, and standing completely flatfooted, stretched on of his arms up as high as he could... and placed the palm of his hand over the TOP of the basketball (which Kareem's hand was underneath).'

'Russell has only a 7'4" wingspan. As for his standing reach, its undetermined. There was however this 7'3" white dude named Swede Halbrook from Oregon and in a photo-op before jumpball in an NCAA regional finals, he raised the ball as high as he could but Russell was still able to place his hands on top of the ball Swede was holding up.

A lot of coaches foremost among them is Red Auerbach maintains that a basketball player's true height is not from his feet to the top of his head but rather from his feet to the tip of his upstretched arms.

For a more extreme example consider the Logo, Jerry West. Standing only 6'3", West had the same sleeve length as 7'1" Wilt Chamberlain. Wingspans are usually the same as a player's height and West's wingspan exceeded his height by nine to ten inches.'

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

No it's not nonsense. I'm not going to believe something that sounds ridiculous and there's no PROOF to back it up. Stories are exaggerated, particularly when there's no way to disprove them, just like fishing stories.

Why should I believe that Wilt, Russell, Gus Johnson and Connie Hawkins are the 4 most athletic players ever and they all played 40+ years ago? That sounds pretty ridiculous.
    This is one of the problems...people arguing against things thats arent being said.

You(I think it was you) in here mentioning guysl ike Earl the Goat and so on. 6'2'' people nobody knows anything about but whoever was in NY in the 60s.

We are talking about a near 7 footer and a guy taller than 7. Im talking about 7 foot tall olympic level high jumpers....inthe 60s when I find it likely not all backboards were created equally.

Nobody is saying the 4 greatest athletes of all time were in the 60s. In fact even if all 4 could do it itwouldnt make them the 4 greatest athletes.

Im looking at it case by case with the evidence I have of their athletic ability telling me if its reasonableto dismiss or not.

Plenty of things that sound absurd before looking into them are true. Plenty. If you tell a kid someone back in your day was 6'5'' 250 as strong as a lineman, as fast as a corner, and jumping higher than Vince Carter they might call you an old liar. Doesnt mean Vernon Davis doesnt exist. Speaking of 49er linebackers by the way...

Manny Lawson. Only 6'4'' I dont think hes as high as he seems due to that angle....that or the backboard is low...but that dude is flying.

Then we have:

And

and

And we are talking about guys either slightly or a lot taller than any of them Dwight aside.

I think we are making it out to be harder than it is for guys the size we are talking. Im not just throwing blanket "Its true...prove it isnt" over everything said of 60s players.

Im saying I dont see the reason to be so sure about some of these issues.

You dont see me saying Wilt was right about being 54 inches off the ground in that picture with him waist high on a high jump bar warming up. Hes no doubt at least 38-40 something up...which at his size makes him head level to a rim....but I just dont think he did the math right on the 54.

Its not about beiliving whatever someone says because they said it. Its about evidence to me.

And I dont have much evidence to say world class high jumpers who are 6'10'' to 7'1'' couldnt touch the top of a backboard I cant even measure to say is the full height.

I just think there is room to talk between "He and eveyone else who claims they saw it is lying!" amd "No doubt theyhad 54 inch verticals".

I think the people saying they couldnt are as unreasonable as people saying no doubt they could. Neither has the proof and there are at least a few players I dont think its absurd to discuss as possibly doing it.

Especially considering what I still call the biggest issue...

60s backboards.

I have backboards on playgrounds around here that arent regulation(actually they are taller...but they arent regulation). How do I know what backboard they tried it on?

I just feel there are issues that have to be considered before we say "Everyone who says they saw ___ or they did ___ is lying....because I said so".

That so unfair?

NBA rookie of the year

Last edited by Scoooter; 07-28-2010 at 01:24 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    This is one of the problems...people arguing against things thats arent being said.

You(I think it was you) in here mentioning guysl ike Earl the Goat and so on. 6'2'' people nobody knows anything about but whoever was in NY in the 60s.

We are talking about a near 7 footer and a guy taller than 7. Im talking about 7 foot tall olympic level high jumpers....inthe 60s when I find it likely not all backboards were created equally.

Nobody is saying the 4 greatest athletes of all time were in the 60s. In fact even if all 4 could do it itwouldnt make them the 4 greatest athletes.

Im looking at it case by case with the evidence I have of their athletic ability telling me if its reasonableto dismiss or not.

Plenty of things that sound absurd before looking into them are true. Plenty. If you tell a kid someone back in your day was 6'5'' 250 as strong as a lineman, as fast as a corner, and jumping higher than Vince Carter they might call you an old liar. Doesnt mean Vernon Davis doesnt exist. Speaking of 49er linebackers by the way...

Manny Lawson. Only 6'4'' I dont think hes as high as he seems due to that angle....that or the backboard is low...but that dude is flying.

Then we have:

And

and

And we are talking about guys either slightly or a lot taller than any of them Dwight aside.

I think we are making it out to be harder than it is for guys the size we are talking. Im not just throwing blanket "Its true...prove it isnt" over everything said of 60s players.

You dont see me saying Wilt was right about being 54 inches off the ground in that picture with him waist high on a high jump bar warming up. Hes no doubt at least 38-40 something up...which at his size makes him head level to a rim....but I just dont think he did the math right on the 54.

Its not about beiliving whatever someone says because they said it. Its about evidence to me.

And I dont have much evidence to say world class high jumpers who are 6'10'' to 7'1'' couldnt touch the top of a backboard I cant even measure to say is the full height.

I just think there is room to talk between "He and eveyone else who claims they saw it is lying!" amd "No doubt theyhad 54 inch verticals".

I think the people saying they couldnt are as unreasonable as people saying no doubt they could. Neither has the proof and there are at least a few players I dont think its absurd to discuss as possibly doing it.

60s backboards.

I have backboards on playgrounds around here that arent regulation(actually they are taller...but they arent regulation). How do I know what backboard they tried it on?

I just feel there are issues that have to be considered before we say "Everyone who says they saw ___ or they did ___ is lying....because I said so".

That so unfair?
    I have said it several times...but does anyone really believe the fastest LEGITIMATE football player, EVER, played in the 60's?

And I would love to have seen Darrell Green, who has a RECORDED 4.35 40, at age 40 , and in his prime, taking on Chris Johnson.

Who would believe that Nolan Ryan was throwin 101 MPH, on a SLOW gun, in 1974? By slow, I mean that there are those that believe it would be the equivalent of 107 on TODAY's gun.

Barry Bonds with a measured long HR, (and PED assisted) of 490 ft...which was verifiably DWARFED by a 5-11, 180 lb SWITCH-hitter in the 50's and 60's?

Furthermore, give Hayes, Ryan (who, incidently was clocked at 98 MPH on his very LAST pitch, at age 46, and with an injured arm), and Mantle all the benefits of modern technology, training, medicine, equipment, nutrition, etc...and just how much better would they be today? The same applies to Wilt and Russell, who were clearly among the most exceptional athletes of all-time.

Serious playground baller

3-time NBA All-Star

David Thompson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQPVK...eature=related

I guess he was a liar, too.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

James White, who's only an inch or two shorter than Bill Russell recorded a jump 8 inches higher than Russels best, can't touch the backboard, though Russell can.

Amazing.

There we go. Case closed. Stop posting Kblaze, jlauber and PHILA you look stupid. More stupid than usual.
    Some things just scream of a lack of concern with facts. If the way Russell was taught to jump generally helped you jump the highest the entire world of track wouldnt have abandoned it by the late 60s.

We are talking about two people 2-3 inches different in height jumping totally different styles 50 years apart with different wingspans and standing reaches and pretending that its fair to assume that becauseo one cant do something he was an inch or two from both cant?

And im stupid?

My whole point is that all things considered there isnt evidence enough to call people who claim to have done/seen a lot of these things liars.

If someone said Bob Cousy touched the top...fine. 7 foot tall olympic high jumpers?

Its case by case.

I dont see the problem.

Bill Russel has a higher vertical leap than Spudd Webb and Nate Robinson

/thread

3-time NBA All-Star

Some things just scream of a lack of concern with facts. If the way Russell was taught to jump generally helped you jump the highest the entire world of track wouldnt have abandoned it by the late 60s.

We are talking about two people 2-3 inches different in height jumping totally different styles 50 years apart with different wingspans and standing reaches and pretending that its fair to assume that becauseo one cant do something he was an inch or two from both cant?

And im stupid?

My whole point is that all things considered there isnt evidence enough to call people who claim to have done/seen a lot of these things liars.

If someone said Bob Cousy touched the top...fine. 7 foot tall olympic high jumpers?

Its case by case.

I dont see the problem.
    These folks believe that Nate Robinson and Spud Webb could outjump Wilt and Russell.

Look, Kblaze, you have too much common sense for this forum. You obviously research your posts thoroughly, and with back up your arguments with facts and logic. Unfortunately, there are those here who will dispute them no matter what evidence you present. And even if you could produce VIDEO footage, you can be sure that they would question who took the footage, and perhaps even suggest that it was edited.

You may have noticed but there is a clear anti-Wilt agenda by a select few on this forum, and now it is carrying over to Russell, as well. These posters will do consistently disparage what Chamberlain accomplished...no matter just how overwhelming the facts were.

7-time NBA All-Star

Then we have:

And

and

60s backboards.

That so unfair?
    Except, 7 footers, even the most athletic ones don't have verticals like Carter, White, Jordan ect. Not Robinson, young Shaq, not Garnett ect. So why should I believe Wilt could jump so much higher than them?