Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Curry is a better shooter then Jordan ever was

Aside from 3ball, this isn't news.

NBA rookie of the year

From 22 feet and out, yes. From inside 22 I don't agree.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I love these threads, you know Curry is obviously the better shooter, but you also know there will be an MJ stan making a comment like "Yes, but MJ was a better mid-range shooter", which isn't true just to save face.

Curry is shooting 49% from mid-range this year, I doubt MJ ever had a season like that.
    Jordan had seasons shooting 47-50% from midrange on WAY more volume than Curry.

In all fairness alot of guards were shooting at a high percentage at the time, Clyde Drexler for example shot 50% from '87-'90.

In today's league it's pretty damn rare for a guard to shoot 50%.

2016 league average FG%: 44.7
    1990 league average FG%: 47.6

MJ was still pretty damn efficient though.
    Drexler is a GOAT SG and his peak was .500 over a 4 year stretch. But he didn't shoot MJs volume at 19.5 per while MJ put up 23.1 and making a whooping 31% better and leading the league in scoring all those 5 years.

And you can't compare league averages. They shoot the 3 at all time high levels which will naturally lower overall pct.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    As an MJ fan, can't dispute this. Though MJ > Curry from 18 feet in.
    Exactly - the stats prove it very clearly.

MJ shot much better from midrange on literally 5 times the volume - [COLOR="Navy"]he relied on his goat midrange for most of his scoring, just like Curry relies on his goat 3-point shooting for most of his scoring.[/COLOR]

I love these threads, you know Curry is obviously the better shooter, but you also know there will be an MJ stan making a comment like "Yes, but MJ was a better mid-range shooter", which isn't true just to save face.

Curry is shooting 49% from mid-range this year, I doubt MJ ever had a season like that.
    Jordan shot 49% from midrange in '97 and he did it on 1000+ attempts.

But yeah, as an overall shooter Curry is obviously on another level. Clearly.

It is true that he's currently playing at a GOAT-type level offensively, but how about we wait to see how he does in the playoffs before we say he's the best offensive player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan had seasons shooting 47-50% from midrange on WAY more volume than Curry.
    You have data from one season...

The season before that 49% he put up, he was at 43%. You have no other evidence to suggest that either is the constant, or one is an outlier compared to the other.

More likely than not he shot somewhere in between that. Which would put him in the same league as Carmelo from the midrange, at about 45-46%.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    You have data from one season...

The season before that 49% he put up, he was at 43%. You have no other evidence to suggest that either is the constant, or one is an outlier compared to the other.

More likely than not he shot somewhere in between that. Which would put him in the same league as Carmelo from the midrange, at about 45-46%.
    Err, no. He was at 43% in 1998 (I think) because he had a torn ligament and cracked knuckle on the index finger of his shooting hand. This is why he started the season shooting 40% FG/75% FT the first 15 games but 47% FG/83% FT the rest of the way after he adjusted his form.

We have the official data from 1997 which puts him at 49% on an ENORMOUS volume of shots (like 2-3 times as many as the folks he's being compared to), and also Dipper13's data from '90-'93, which has him at 50+% from midrange. 1998 is the outlier due to injury. When the NBA releases data from 1996 and 1993 (hopefully) you'll see.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Curry also plays in a softer era, especially for perimeter players, so his stats are inflated. With that said, he's obviously the better long distance shooter. Jordan is still the superior scorer. Curry attacking the rim is no where near Jordan's level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Curry also plays in a softer era, especially for perimeter players, so his stats are inflated. With that said, he's obviously the better long distance shooter. Jordan is still the superior scorer. Curry attacking the rim is no where near Jordan's level.
    Curry is one of the best finishers in the league. Not as good as Jordan, but lets not act like Curry isn't a great finisher in his own right.

And no, his stats aren't inflated at all.

Err, no. He was at 43% in 1998 (I think) because he had a torn ligament and cracked knuckle on the index finger of his shooting hand. This is why he started the season shooting 40% FG/75% FT the first 15 games but 47% FG/83% FT the rest of the way after he adjusted his form.

We have the official data from 1997 which puts him at 49% on an ENORMOUS volume of shots (like 2-3 times as many as the folks he's being compared to), and also Dipper13's data from '90-'93, which has him at 50+% from midrange. 1998 is the outlier due to injury. When the NBA releases data from 1996 and 1993 (hopefully) you'll see.
    Do you know when this is coming?

MJ shot .535% on 24.4 shot attempts per game and scored 35.0 ppg along with a career best 31.7 PER in 1988. One of the GOAT seasons ever. MVP, DPOY and led the league in steals at 3.2. Pretty much MJ at his physical peak.

Do you know when this is coming?
    OMG - if that ever happens - you're DONE

(and you know it)

you must be shitting your pants - all my arguments will be that much stronger

i've been ethering everyone with jordan's 34 and 35-year old data

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    OMG - if that ever happens - you're DONE

(and you know it)

you must be shitting your pants - all my arguments will be that much stronger

i've been ethering everyone with jordan's 34 and 35-year old data
    No, I really am not shitting my pants.

On the other hand, you seem to be getting an erection for stats, once again.

I don't read any of your copy and paste jobs, so I don't particularly care what you're saying.

No, I really am not shitting my pants.

On the other hand, you seem to be getting an erection for stats, once again.

I don't read any of your copy and paste jobs, so I don't particularly care what you're saying.
    i smell insecurity..

if you really felt that way, you wouldn't even bother respond, let alone feel the need to say you weren't shitting your pants...

just think - MJ scored 50% of his team's 4th quarter points while on the floor in 1998 playoffs and Finals as a 35 year old man.. so imagine what he did in his prime, or even 1996 when Pippen was averaging 16.9 ppg on 39% for entire playoffs, including WOAT 15 ppg on 34% in Finals..
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-19-2016 at 01:38 AM.