Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Micheal dunn convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder, but hung jury on murder

http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/...d-music-trial/

I dont know if you guys followed this case, but imo it is much worse than the zimmerman/trayvon case. In that I think this case was much more clearly murder.

Basics iirc: Dunn was at a gas station. Heard kids playing music loudly at other stall (dunn described it as "thug music"). Went up to them and told them to turn it down. (witness testimony here) supposedly he was rude, the kids called him a cracker., he said (according to a witness) "now you aren't going to talk to me like that". and then he shot into the kids car multiple times.

1 kid died, jordan davis.

Later dunn claimed that he thought he saw one of the kids pulling a gun and was shooting in self defense.

Anyways the trial happens and he gets convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder (the 3 teens/young adults that werent killed), 1 count of shooting into an occupied car. The attempted murder has a statutory minimum of 20 years per conviction.

But at least one jury member refused to convict on murder. so we have a hung jury. The prosecutors have implied that they are prepared to go through the whole trial process again with a new jury.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Micheal dunn convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder, but hung jury on murder

If they called him a cracker, that is a hate crime and self defense was necessary.

Case dismissed.

Default Re: Micheal dunn convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder, but hung jury on murder

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/...d-music-trial/

I dont know if you guys followed this case, but imo it is much worse than the zimmerman/trayvon case. In that I think this case was much more clearly murder.

Basics iirc: Dunn was at a gas station. Heard kids playing music loudly at other stall (dunn described it as "thug music"). Went up to them and told them to turn it down. (witness testimony here) supposedly he was rude, the kids called him a cracker., he said (according to a witness) "now you aren't going to talk to me like that". and then he shot into the kids car multiple times.

1 kid died, jordan davis.

Later dunn claimed that he thought he saw one of the kids pulling a gun and was shooting in self defense.

Anyways the trial happens and he gets convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder (the 3 teens/young adults that werent killed), 1 count of shooting into an occupied car. The attempted murder has a statutory minimum of 20 years per conviction.

But at least one jury member refused to convict on murder. so we have a hung jury. The prosecutors have implied that they are prepared to go through the whole trial process again with a new jury.

What does it take to convict someone of murdering a black teen in FL? Seems like a video taped assassination with eye-witnesses, a signed confession, motive, and a murder weapon wouldn't be enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    What does it take to convict someone of murdering a black teen in FL? Seems like a video taped assassination with eye-witnesses, a signed confession, motive, and a murder weapon wouldn't be enough.
    That's America's asshole right there. Outside of Miami and Disney, Florida is as backward a place as you'll find in America. It's a justifiable death sentence to be Black and walking home or playing music too loud for someone's personal liking now in that State.

At least this guy will spend considerable time in jail, for attempted murder... but not for the actual murder he committed. I guess it's better than him being free to terrorize women and fight rappers as a 'celebrity'.

He got 60 years, good.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That's America's asshole right there. Outside of Miami and Disney, Florida is as backward a place as you'll find in America. It's a justifiable death sentence to be Black and walking home or playing music too loud for someone's personal liking now in that State.

At least this guy will spend considerable time in jail, for attempted murder... but not for the actual murder he committed. I guess it's better than him being free to terrorize women and fight rappers as a 'celebrity'.
    The prosecutors are committed to retrying the case.
    Its mostly likely one person on the jury that sympathized with dunn and refused to convict. On the retrial I think they will get a conviction for at least murder 2

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

I think it's frustrating for both sides. I mean honestly, southern white people have a culture that they were all born and raised in, and has been that way for hundreds of years. So maybe they just don't want to live with people wearing absurdly oversized clothes who are often loud and obnoxious (talking bout black youths in particular) and play music at huge decibel levels in unintelligible jive slang. I say this as someone who listens to rap myself, but I don't blame other people who live in a community and don't want an increasingly infringing cultural takeover. In fact most old BLACK people don't want that chit either. It just is what it is. It's no different than France banning the wearing of cult-like burqas amongst their hordes of migrating muslims.

And let's not pretend it's a safe little stroll in the park for a white guy in suspenders and a bow tie to go walking through the hood late at night. Statistically that dude is in FAR greater danger than a black dude anywhere in Florida.

These ****ing kids don't have parents to knock some sense into them and not let them go around embarrassing themselves lookin like modern day minstrel performers on some lil wayne facepalm[COLOR="Black"]n[/COLOR]iglit chit ready to rob a convenience store or stick someone up for their cell phone

I'm not takin either side here and I'm especially not justifying the violence but it's not like anyone should be surprised when old, southern white men react disdainfully toward such a foreign and bizarre culture.

Suddenly people who wanna preserve their own culture and communities these days and tell people who wanna be different to do it elsewhere are the 'bad guys'. Its pathetic. World has turned beta, straight up. These cool little poser liberals get their jollies from being 'mister accepting' but its all just a ploy for self esteem cause they got nothin else to be proud of in their lives. No identity.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    He got 60 years, good.
    To be clear I am not sure if those 3 sentences will run consecutively or concurrently.

But the prosecution is going to retry the case.

All it takes is one juror, and the defense played their cards correctly to get that juror for the Murder charge.

I just don't get, for the life of me, how they found him guilty of attempting to kill the rest, but not the one he actually killed?

What killed Dunn in the trial, though, was the fact that he never contacted the authorities nor anyone else, but went back to his place, ordered a pizza and went to a bar to get drinks. Him testifying helped getting the mistrial for the murder charge, and with a new jury, I'm expecting more of the same.

State should just try to get the three 20-year sentences to run consecutively and not concurrently and not waste time and money by getting another mistrial for the murder charge. 1/12 is all Dunn needs.

went to google to see what he looks like....pure scumbag just look at him

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    You probably also have to not be in or near your vehicle, home, or other owned/rented property because they'll just call it Stand your Ground.

And yeah, this case is ****ed. Guy claims "it was them or me" and a kid pulled out a shotgun... no shotgun found anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's no different than France banning the wearing of cult-like burqas amongst their hordes of migrating muslims.

And let's not pretend it's a safe little stroll in the park for a white guy in suspenders and a bow tie to go walking through the hood late at night. Statistically that dude is in FAR greater danger than a black dude anywhere in Florida.

These ****ing kids don't have parents to knock some sense into them and not let them go around embarrassing themselves lookin like modern day minstrel performers on some lil wayne facepalm[COLOR="Black"]n[/COLOR]iglit chit ready to rob a convenience store or stick someone up for their cell phone

I'm not takin either side here and I'm especially not justifying the violence but it's not like anyone should be surprised when old, southern white men react disdainfully toward such a foreign and bizarre culture.

Suddenly people who wanna preserve their own culture and communities these days and tell people who wanna be different to do it elsewhere are the 'bad guys'. Its pathetic. World has turned beta, straight up. These cool little poser liberals get their jollies from being 'mister accepting' but its all just a ploy for self esteem cause they got nothin else to be proud of in their lives. No identity.

You had one good point about the lack of parenting but you sandwiched it between so much bullsh1t, it's almost unbelievable.

You also made that sh1t up about it statistically being more dangerous for a white guy than a black guy in Florida. Want to actually check the homicide and assault rates and get back to us on that one?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    the kids called him a cracker., he said (according to a witness) "now you aren't going to talk to me like that".
    2:10 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

I don't see how you convict on attempted murder but not murder I.. especially since no gun was found and the witnesses (including his fiancee) do not corroborate his story of fearing for his life.

If I pull a gun and start shooting into a car full of people? I planned to kill them.. Thats premeditation.. it wasn't akin to a car accident where my reckless behavior led to people dying..

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I don't see how you convict on attempted murder but not murder I.. especially since no gun was found and the witnesses (including his fiancee) do not corroborate his story of fearing for his life.

If I pull a gun and start shooting into a car full of people? I planned to kill them.. Thats premeditation.. it wasn't akin to a car accident where my reckless behavior led to people dying..

It doesn't really make sense, does it? One thing I know. If it was a black man who shot into a car full of white kids, killing one... he'd be on death row already. Unanimous verdict, 10 minute deliberation case closed.