Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Much to my annoyance, the NBA channel shows them all the time. It also makes their daily nba show almost the WNBA highlight show. So if you are all inkling for some poorly played bball, get the nba channel asap.
    Ok, but I know very few people who get NBA tv, so my thinking is still.... where is their audience?

I mean this analogy is exaggerated, but if you wanted to make money off of people watching your friend's play in your driveway, but nobody saw you play, how much money would you make?

I can't even remember ever seeing Sportscenter talk about the WNBA, but of course I don't watch it much these days.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by LaydVik05
    Well, I'm a female basketball player and it was once my dream to play in the WNBA. Ha. The sports association is overall a very sexist thing in America. It's absolutely riddiculous. Right now, at my basketball level, I'm willing to bet the four hundred dollars in my bank account that I can beat any given Junior at my high school at 1 on 1, male or female.

Some of the males here are nauseating, no wonder you spend your days online. You can't even show women equallity, what makes you think a women with any amount of self-respect would actually marry you?
    Your school must contain some really sucky players then, no offense. Seriously - the wnba makes no money. So to argue about equal pay to the men is ridiculous. Salaries are driven by revenue, of which then wnba has NEGATIVE revenue. it costs people money to have these games go on.

and secondly, i used to play all the time at marine park, and we had females from big east college teams come and play with the high school boys, and the better high school boys who played in the park (a lot of which didn't even play on their teams) had no trouble keeping up with the girls, and some the girls had trouble with simply because of the boys size. Men are bigger, stronger and more athletic. God did this, not someone playing favorites.

the wnba is a bad product that not enough people want to see for it to be viable. you cant ask people to subsidize businesses in order for women to be able to play basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Ok, but I know very few people who get NBA tv, so my thinking is still.... where is their audience?

I mean this analogy is exaggerated, but if you wanted to make money off of people watching your friend's play in your driveway, but nobody saw you play, how much money would you make?

I can't even remember ever seeing Sportscenter talk about the WNBA, but of course I don't watch it much these days.

Mathius
    true, i never think about it but msg doesnt even always show the liberty and channel 7 pretty much stopped their every weekend wnba coverage. its not suprising, they dont show hockey much on tv too and at least hockey has a definite segment you can advertise to. What is the WNBA target audience?

High School Starter

Why exactly are people surprised by this? The league has only been around for so many years because it's subsidized by the NBA. Call me sexist or whatever, but there is just no audience for the WNBA. MOST women couldn't care less about sports, and MOST men would never pay good money to watch a women's sports league.

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.
    97 thousand dollars a year? For what?

I contribute more to the economy when I start a tab at the bar than the WNBA does in a season.

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    The funny thing is, cheerleaders (at least NBA cheerleaders) probably get paid at least as much as most WNBA players, and some who model on the side make significantly more than that.
    Cheerleaders dont get paid anything.
    Last edited by picc84; 02-27-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DahLollipop
    I honestly think they should trade places.
    Candace Parker to the NBA
    Sheldon Williams to the WNBA.. or the Zoo.
    lol the zoo

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

does your mom's friend pay $97,650 a ticket? If not, NO they are not underpaid. No one cares, no one is willing to pay big money to see them. People pay money to see Lebron, that is why he gets big money. People don't pay money to see teh WNBA, it loses money. I don't care if they want to win so badly that they take out knives during the game and stab each other, there is no way a league that is basically at this point a charity endevour by the cities that have teams can claim to have "underpaid" players.
    I dont think he understands that ball franchises are businesses, with assets and liabilities. Actually he doesnt seem to understand the concept of business at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.
    really...thats an odd perspective...I would never play for that much money..Thats peanuts

no offense to lady ballers but males are just way more superior when it comes to basketball.. i can honestly say ive never seen ONE girl in my life play basketball the "proper" way.. i mean they move so slow, shoot funny, and are so clumsy on the court.. they play like how guys would play when we were first starting to experiment on the court.. gosh..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    Even the lowest earning players, pulling down $34k a year don't have it so bad. I know all sorts of people who are worse off than that financially. I also know plenty of people who earn a lot more than that, but would trade places in a second.

Playing basketball for a living and making enough so that you can afford to eat and hold an apartment? Compared to 99% of humans on planet earth, that is a pure dream lifestyle.
    really who are these retarded people...34k is BAD. I could see if you never played ball in front of a crowd before but almost every D1 college bball player turns down this lifestyle in order to start a real life and begin making real money.

Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGI7R0u3TQ&NR=1

I'm ashamed that I found this funny. But seriously, have you ever tried to watch the WNBA? Good lord. It's no exaggeration to say that most decent men's high school teams could beat any WNBA team... on a regular basis.
    Last edited by A.M.G.; 02-27-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    really who are these retarded people...34k is BAD. I could see if you never played ball in front of a crowd before but almost every D1 college bball player turns down this lifestyle in order to start a real life and begin making real money.
    then become a ****ing doctor or go overseas. Women's basketball players in the US don't get paid cause no one wants to pay to see them. Saying it's unfair is ridiculous. Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

then become a ****ing doctor or go overseas. Women's basketball players in the US don't get paid cause no one wants to pay to see them. Saying it's unfair is ridiculous. Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.
    I don't know if i'm ready to completely call it unfair but first i'll say that I think that NBA players are significantly overpaid. Yes, millions of people are fascinated by watching grown men put an orange basketball into a hoop, but does that fascination really warrant getting these ridiculously huge guaranteed multi-million dollar deals?

I'd rather pay to watch a bunch of hot girls who suck at basketball than the WNBA where the girls just all cluster f*ck in the paint and go for lay ups. Most boring thing ever.

Banned

OK retard...where did I say its unfair...never said such a thing. wow this forum is on the decline