Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    kkling
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Blake Griffin does not plan to defend his slam dunk championship

Good, his dunks were not all that great last year, especially that lame ass car jump shit.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

So Griffin is flopping on the dunk competition...

College star

Good riddance, that KIA ish was lame .

NBA Superstar

I say this every year but I think two of the biggest things holding the dunk contest back these days is 1) the short list of competitors and 2) the subsequent short list of dunks. On top of everything else, the dunk contest is facing history every single year. It's always been that way. In the mid-90's, any dunk contest that didn't end like Jordan's and Nique's was declared a failure by many. Then, Vince Carter happened. After Carter's showing, more contests were considered failures because there was no Vince moment (granted, introducing the Wheel of Dunks was a failure in itself).

Essentially, ever since I was old enough to watch dunk contests live (1993), there's always been a strong contingent of fans who felt the dunk contest should be removed because they thought every dunk had been done or no one could perform any slam within the same area code of what Jordan and Wilkins did. However, regardless of how one feels, I never understood what ridding of the dunk contest accomplishes. Wouldn't folks at least like the opportunity to possibly see something awesome? You know what happened the first time it was cancelled? 2Ball. 2Ball happened. There's been a ton of great dunk contest in the 2000's. If we'd ended the contest and kept it ended, we would have missed out on too many excellent moments.

Last year's contest is remembered, unfortunately, for a choir and a Kia. But honestly, aside from those two gimmicks, it was a solid contest. In the first round alone, DeMar DeRozan threw down a between the legs dunk off the basket stanchion, Serge Ibaka made the furthest free throw line dunk in NBA Dunk Contest history (merely a toe on the line), JaVale McGee dunked two balls on two baskets, and Blake's first attempt nearly made me fall out of my chair (before he resorted to a safety finish). There was a lot happening and it wasn't all gimmick based.

But back to my primary point, I miss six competitors. Here's the breakdown:

2000: Six Competitors, three first round dunks per competitor (one using teammate), three finalists (two dunks a piece).
    Total: 24 Dunks

2011: Four Competitors, two first round dunks, two finalists (two dunks a piece).
    Total: 12 Dunks

This doesn't surprise me. He did a Bill Simmons podcast during the lockout and when he was asked about the dunk contest he said he probably wouldn't do it again. The reason? Apparently he saw all the negative comments about his dunks, especially from former NBA players, and it soured the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    This doesn't surprise me. He did a Bill Simmons podcast during the lockout and when he was asked about the dunk contest he said he probably wouldn't do it again. The reason? Apparently he saw all the negative comments about his dunks, especially from former NBA players, and it soured the experience.
    What a softy

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    He didn't deserve it last year. His makes were mediocre. His misses were more exciting.

Derozen should've won, but it seemed like all Griffin had to do was show up and it was his.
    Yup, this. It's good that he's not participating because now there won't be a predetermined winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Yup, this. It's good that he's not participating because now there won't be a predetermined winner.
    conspiracy theories

That's good, he actually sucked in the dunk contest.

Wow, you're tall CelticsDraftee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Story Up
    Who is the kid from Utah? I want to see him!
    And get Gerald to be a "prop."

I don't have a problem with Blake winning it last year, but it did remind me of the Academy Awards. You know how they'll give an award to an actor because he was snubbed for his prior, better roles? Like Pacino getting an award for Scent of a Woman but not The Godfather or Dog Day Afternoon. Not that Blake was snubbed, but it seemed more like they were rewarding his SEASON of great dunks (like the Mozgov) and not really any that he did at the contest.

Also, the Kia dunk was a great gimmick and instantly iconic, and I think the only people who aren't that impressed by it are hardcore basketball fans. The general public was understandably wowed by it, because people around the watercooler are going to talk about "he dunked over a car" more than any other, technically better dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Great, no cheesy chorus and no lame-ass Kia dunk.
    Exactly. Happy his prop using lame ass isn't in it. ****ing flopper.

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

I wouldnt mind seeing him try again without the unnecessary antics.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Also, the Kia dunk was a great gimmick and instantly iconic, and I think the only people who aren't that impressed by it are hardcore basketball fans. The general public was understandably wowed by it, because people around the watercooler are going to talk about "he dunked over a car" more than any other, technically better dunk.
    Not to be overly critical, but I was ready to be impressed when I saw the car rolling out. The choir crushed my spirit a little bit. And the whole "coach" thing killed me inside. Still, I was ready for something next level. Maybe I was waiting for him to jump over the middle of the car. Or maybe I was expecting him to finish with something besides a routine two hand dunk. I was just expecting more, period. At it's core, it was a two hand alley oop where he kicked his legs behind a little bit, and that was disappointing.

Still, as Vinsane said, I'd definitely be interested to see if he had anything new or fresh in the bag. It's tough to not want to see more of that guy's arsenal. Maybe he exhausted everything he had last year. But then again, maybe not. I wouldn't mind finding out.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Good riddance, that KIA ish was lame .
    He was suppose to jump over an exotic car (Lamborghini) , but KIA is the Official Sponsor of the NBA, so the NBA forced him to go with a KIA.