Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want to feel a strong sense of mortality?

This is film of Berlin in color, year 1900.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0

Every single one of those masses of people have died so long ago that neither you nor anyone else at this point has an idea who they are or what they ever did. All we know is that at one time, 115 years ago, those people existed and were filmed for a few moments of their lives. They had families, they had friends, they had ambitions, some may have accomplished great things, some may have got by. This was more than a decade before the first world war. Many of these people were dead of old age and natural causes by the second world war. Some of those children may have grown up only to die in combat in the first world war.

In a blink of a cosmic eye this will be how people view us, that is if any information survives that long of us at all. We are just mysterious nameless people of the past. And after enough time passes, we will not even be that.

Default Re: Want to feel a strong sense of mortality?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Every single one of those masses of people have died so long ago that neither you nor anyone else at this point has an idea who they are or what they ever did. All we know is that at one time, 115 years ago, those people existed and were filmed for a few moments of their lives. They had families, they had friends, they had ambitions, some may have accomplished great things, some may have got by. This was more than a decade before the first world war. Many of these people were dead of old age and natural causes by the second world war. Some of those children may have grown up only to die in combat in the first world war.

In a blink of a cosmic eye this will be how people view us, that is if any information survives that long of us at all. We are just mysterious nameless people of the past. And after enough time passes, we will not even be that.
    You're Wilt Chamberlain gay love posts will exist forever. ISH makes us immortal

I already watched it some weeks ago. it made me sad. how beautiful was germany? how clean the streets and then the beautiful buildings. Germany was a proud country, the people were proud being german.

look how the little girl in her sunday-dress turns around once she passed the camera. look how proud the young germen men were.

and now? invasion of african and muslim men. more and more due to lack of perspective and birth surpluss in their countries....

and then you know that a whole generation will die in WW1 and the little kids playing outdoor will probably die in WW2

also: look from 3:13-3:16. "photo"-bomb.

edit: i think its more 1910. but it doesnt matter

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    I already watched it some weeks ago. it made me sad. how beautiful was germany? how clean the streets and then the beautiful buildings. Germany was a proud country, the people were proud being german.

look how the little girl in her sunday-dress turns around once she passed the camera. look how proud the young germen men were.

and now? invasion of african and muslim men. more and more due to lack of perspective and birth surpluss in their countries....

and then you know that a whole generation will die in WW1 and the little kids playing outdoor will probably die in WW2

It is extremely sad. Minorities are all encouraged to embrace and retain their ethnic identities. White people are belligerently rebuked for doing the same. Becaus it might make a poor foreigner feel unwelcome.

Liberals with an axe to grind about their own lack of confidence and solid footing in their societies desperately trying to make everyone else feel their pain. If they cant ascend to the top, nobody should. Absolute fukking losers.

I recently saw 8mm film of my dad (who is now old and has alzeimers, and has actually had grey hair for as long as I've ever been alive) at age 24, 46 years ago, at a family outing with his own mom and dad who I never met and his brothers and sisters the oldest of which is now 86 and many of which are dead from old age, and it changed how I look at things. The film also showed the public square of the town I was born in. And at that time it looked even better and more pristine/clean/prosperous than I ever knew it to be in the years I've been alive.

Old film makes me realize we - and the things around us all - have a very definitive expiration date. Makes me value my time and my momentary youth.

NBA Legend

I recently saw 8mm film of my dad (who is now old and has alzeimers, and has actually had grey hair for as long as I've ever been alive) at age 24, 46 years ago, at a family outing with his own mom and dad who I never met and his brothers and sisters the oldest of which is now 86 and many of which are dead from old age, and it changed how I look at things. The film also showed the public square of the town I was born in. And at that time it looked even better and more pristine/clean/prosperous than I ever knew it to be in the years I've been alive.

Old film makes me realize we - and the things around us all - have a very definitive expiration date. Makes me value my time and my momentary youth.

Just wait until dondadda attacks you for wanting to live likes its 1954

its an amazing work of colouring. Because its colored, the people appearing in that film seem very "close", they are sort of "palpable". you nearly feel (especially as a german) like you are a part of them. a part of thei lives. a part of their history.
    Last edited by pastis; 12-16-2015 at 12:37 PM.

wow, i did find that quite striking. I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, and it's remarkable how cold, uninviting and desolate the place was in comparison to the warmth, character and vibrancy it seemed to have back then.

O tempora, o mores

This is part of why I respect what you do so much. You only have so much time yourself, yet you've done so much to legitimize the hard work of people who played the game we all love in the past. People who troll you are garbage, and deserve to be apart of the nameless mob

Banned

Kaiser Wilhem the 2nd: How to destroy a country

Should have listened to old man Otto Von Bismarck

Check out the Russian revolution period where the Czars where murdered, and millions died under a quote on quote "necessary" national starvation from the Bolshevik communist jew Lenin.

O tempora, o mores
    Catiline would be a fitting figurehead for the modern age and its worship of the spirit of expediency and profusion, the abnegation of duties and responsibilities (particularly to posterity) - alieni avidus, sui profusus as the slogan of the age (grasping the property of others while being prodigal with one's own possessions).

Wasteful, envious, greedy, base and entitled - we live in grotesque times for sure.

We are a result of countless other peoples hard work, laziness, mistakes, planning, love, hate, and any kind of daily decisions. So in otherwords, don't sweat the small stuff, not everything can work out perfectly....But don't be the lazy one, fight for what will 'really' make you happy in life alongside those who love you. It's as simple as that. *cues dramatic music

That is just amazing.

I'll get to know them in heaven