Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Serious playground baller Mike smith's Avatar

Default Re: OKC's Supporting Cast Is Underrated

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    This. Coach in OKC is still terrible. Stupid decision getting rid of Brooks for an unproven coach with this lineup. Really ****ing stupid.. and if Roberson could knock down shots it would be game over, and OKC would be the champs for years to come. No one even defends Roberson, so it leaves other defenders to put more pressure on Durant and Westbrook. If Roberson could hit the open shot.. wow.
    Can u explain what makes Donovan a horrible coach?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike smith
    Can u explain what makes Donovan a horrible coach?
    His rotations sucked most of the year...although he did finally figure out that he can have either Durant or WB in the game at pretty much every moment.

He hasn't, at all, gotten anyone to buy into playing individual or team defense.

He doesn't run anything late in games and has poorly managed possessions and end of game situations (hence them blowing many leads late in the 4th).

Hey plays Collison too much in this series.

I don't like the long leash he gives Foye, but Foye just sucks...so that might not be on him.

He didn't play Payne enough during the regular season. This was a big mistake imo...as Payne is the type of player this team will badly need deep in the playoffs (if healthy of course)...

In this series...he just left Durant and WB in a game under 50 seconds that was clearly over for no reason. Durant got ejected and might be suspended for a game...and WB got hammered in midcourt by Harris on a foul. Why risk it? What is the upside?

There are probably more things I'm forgetting, but this is just off the top of my head.

Serious playground baller Mike smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    His rotations sucked most of the year...although he did finally figure out that he can have either Durant or WB in the game at pretty much every moment.

He hasn't, at all, gotten anyone to buy into playing individual or team defense.

He doesn't run anything late in games and has poorly managed possessions and end of game situations (hence them blowing many leads late in the 4th).

Hey plays Collison too much in this series.

I don't like the long leash he gives Foye, but Foye just sucks...so that might not be on him.

He didn't play Payne enough during the regular season. This was a big mistake imo...as Payne is the type of player this team will badly need deep in the playoffs (if healthy of course)...

In this series...he just left Durant and WB in a game under 50 seconds that was clearly over for no reason. Durant got ejected and might be suspended for a game...and WB got hammered in midcourt by Harris on a foul. Why risk it? What is the upside?

There are probably more things I'm forgetting, but this is just off the top of my head.
    I agree with Payne he should be in the rotation over foye but Payne is a rookie and bad at defense

In the regular season early on he was experiencing with lineups and see if he could get good production out of his bench without having Durant or Westbrook in the game

Defense has been inconsistent but they were a top 5 half court defense this year and number one rebounding team and number 2 in scoring so those are all plus

I think late game issues is more on Durant and Westbrook either turning the ball over or playing hero ball.

Also he is a first year coach he is not going to be perfect is first year

Quote Originally Posted by Mike smith
    I agree with Payne he should be in the rotation over foye but Payne is a rookie and bad at defense

In the regular season early on he was experiencing with lineups and see if he could get good production out of his bench without having Durant or Westbrook in the game

Defense has been inconsistent but they were a top 5 half court defense this year and number one rebounding team and number 2 in scoring so those are all plus

I think late game issues is more on Durant and Westbrook either turning the ball over or playing hero ball.

Also he is a first year coach he is not going to be perfect is first year
    We aren't grading on a curve...this is a title contending team with a good coach...and he hasn't been good.

Who cares about Payne being bad at defense? Nobody but Ibaka and Roberson try on defense anyway.

They are one of the best rebounding teams ever...especially on the offensive glass. I don't see what that has to do with coaching.

Put it this way....other than realizing that he can stagger KD and WB and have one of them on the court at all times essentially. What has he done well?

They aren't near optimal level on defense....and their play with the lead late in games was abysmal all year...

What has he done creatively to put the team in position to perform at optimal levels?

He's just a dude...hasn't done anything of note differently than any mediocre college coach would do by default...and his team doesn't seem to respond to him with effort. And now they are out there taking cheap shots late in a won playoff game.

Not a good look to be honest...

NBA All-star

when they face the Spurs, how deep they make the push, or even winning that series, would involve how they tweek their (none Russell Westbrook points per possession game plan) Foye-Waiters-Singler-Durant-Kanter rotation

with the minutes Billy Donovan has been playing with Waiters, Foye, I'd be intrigued and inclined to watch them play Waiters at the PG position (defensive purpose), Foye at the 2, and slide Mohammed with this rotation to keep Durant at the 3 and possibly, Steven Adams at the PF position.

They could probably go off of this rotation and play Kanters/Collison pending on match up. Roberson and Morrow plays off of Foye differently, which in term makes Waiters more valuable to counter the opposing 3, given they don't have the shooters, and his percentage will suffer but then that just comes down to Westbrook's ability to known down tres.

they could beat the Warriors if Roberson has a good series (pun intended)

if they face Cavs in the finals, Kanter is going to have to have a monster series all while Waiters with his best Thabo impression, because the rest of the team is experienced enough.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Billy is a good coach. He is up 3-1. Won 55 games. Developed kanter nicely.

Brooks was alsp good. Lead okc to the finals outcoached popovich

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopfan777

The expected win rate on this team was 59 games. Kanter hasn't evolved really at all this year.

The buy in on defense/hustle...and late game hero ball..(the two biggest weaknesses on this team)...have gotten worse this year than ever.

Banned

lol @ durant leaving this team

that's as good of an offensive-defensive big-man rotation you can get in the league.

Cameron Payne will also emerge next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Braincells
    lol @ durant leaving this team

that's as good of an offensive-defensive big-man rotation you can get in the league.

Cameron Payne will also emerge next season.
    I think KD signs a 1 year deal to run it back for sure. Then I think he and WB leave together (if they leave it all)...

If the Thunder don't do something to improve the 2 guard position...and really they need to add 2 rotation 3 and D guys at sg/sf in order to be able to play small....then I think KD and WB bounce.

They both probably have 5 or 6 more years after this year as elite players...so there is plenty of time. But they aren't wasting it in OKC with a subpar head coach and a roster with a gaping hole in it. No way...

This team has to get better defensively...and it's going to take a couple additions and KD/WB buying in and playing hard on defense like they did in 13 and 14.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The expected win rate on this team was 59 games. Kanter hasn't evolved really at all this year.

The buy in on defense/hustle...and late game hero ball..(the two biggest weaknesses on this team)...have gotten worse this year than ever.
    they were 40-14..till the all-star break

then they stopped giving a f*ck, Clippers were far behind while Spurs and Warriors were too far ahead...so why waste so much energy when 3rd place was already a lock?

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopfan777

cringe.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    They don't have a starting caliber SG that has consistently been a positive 2-way player down the stretch. They're a 3&D wing and a real coach away from knocking out anybody. It remains to be seen how Waiters will play against a real playoff team. Also, maybe if their supporting cast and coaching staff were better, WB would actually try defensively.

oh please,

they have two top 5 players, the best 6th man in the league and some really good bigs. You shouldn't need to have every position filled out perfectly when you have two top 5 players on the same team and some really good role players to go with them.

and blaming the supposed lack of help on WB not playing defense? He's playing with a top 3 player..

that's a bullshit excuse.