Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Piston draft prospects

There is potential, but people always like the next draft and hate the current one, other than the Lebron draft maybe. Literally every year. So I feel you have to temper the expectations. Some guys may stay in school like what happened last year. I don't think guys like Henson or Zeller go before the 20s this year, so not all of those guys are exactly amazing. Some guys may show flaws that were previously unrealized. It does have some exciting potential right now though.

I like some of the players in next years draft, but with where the Pistons are likely to be slated, I wouldn't put any special value on it over your average year. I'm done with rebuilding. If we can bring in a veteran starter while dumping a SG and we have to give up a 1st to close the deal, I give it up in an instant personally.

I'm not in love with Leonard. I see him about halfway between Ariza and G.Wallace. Good starter for 10 years, maybe never an All Star. Not going to create offense much or anything IMO. However, SA obviously values him and I tihnk its clear they're willing to dump Jefferson.

NBA lottery pick

I've always tried to judge the draft for the talent it has. Everybody tried to say 2009 was a bad draft (outside of Griffin) and I didn't believe that for a second. I'm the guy who edges out a first place in my fantasy leagues just by the couple of rookies I grab. I knew Tyreke and Stephen would be good. I'm the guy who grabbed them before the season started and people thought I was crazy. I'm not trying to compare fantasy bball to the court, but I just want to make the point that I'm not the guy who thinks the next draft is always better. You can bookmark the thread, and refer back to it if you want. I'm certain next years draft will produce not just more all-stars but more good players in the league. This years draft was about PG's outside of the top 4 or 5 guys. I'll give that to this draft class, there's some nice PG's. I can't remember the last time a great PG won a championshp though.... This year, Jason Kidd was far out of his prime. The previous two years, Fisher was getting killed by younger PG's. Before that Rondo was a rookie who was learning the ropes. The year before that was white chocolate even considered elite, ever? Good but not one of the best....

I think it's awesome we have a good PG now. It was one of the guys I had my eye one. Next year will be more of an overall draft. I'm sure you see the importance of having extremely good players at other positions. We have Monroe, we need a top flight SF or PF. It's not coming through a trade or free agency. Whatever happens there will be another good player. If you watch the Joe D & Tom Gores videos it seems to make more sense. Gores seems to think he can just put a team together that will contend. Joe D doesn't want him to announce that to the public yet. He knows it's going to take a bit more. I'm all about Gores enthusiasm. I'm more about Joe D doing the right thing, which he has again with the draft. He's also specifically said he wants to put more young pieces around this core (which means not trading for veterans). Let's give him one more (excellent) draft before we're impatient. The 2012 draft is the one that can turn us around. Free agency isn't going to work for us. The draft is our friend.

Decent college freshman

I think we feel teh same way on drafts. I just think that I will grade next year's draft when I get there. Who's in, who's out, who's improved, who's a lazy/characterrisk. No doubt it has potential to be studly. This one appears to have ended up a lot better than expected.

I also came here to say, I think Singler is going to be an even better player than I first expected. He had such an awful shooting year this past season, but he was near 40% from 3 the 2 years prior. With his toughness, BB IQ, rebounding and passing, if he can learn to knock down open 3s, he'll be super valuable. Its the anti Dejuan SUmmers pick I suppose.

NBA lottery pick

True, Summers is more than likely on his way out. I never understood that guy. He was one of the best athletes on the floor in practices and summer leagues. Then once the season came around he was just a different player. At least Singler can hit a shot from the top of a building

NBA lottery pick

For those who are doubting Harrinson Barnes.....

An NBA scout gushing over UNC's Harrison Barnes battling KDurant at Chicago camp last night. "Top pick in the next draft -- by far," he says. Twitter

if that's really the case about barnes, then our mission is clear. get PT for the rooks and young players and don't be afraid to tank

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by dealer77
    if that's really the case about barnes, then our mission is clear. get PT for the rooks and young players and don't be afraid to tank
    I want to see the young guys get the chance to carry the bulk of the load anyhow. We need to see if some of these guys have what it takes to make it in the league. Even the 2nd or third pick next year will be very nice

Decent college freshman

I sure would love Barnes. KD is the type of palyer Barnes could be at his ceiling.

Depending on team, Davis is certainly in competition for that 1 spot though. Nobody else probably. I'd have a hell of a time making the call for Detroit, but would probably prefer Davis next to Monroe assuming the overall grade is equal. People talk about Davis like he can be the next KG.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 06-28-2011 at 11:25 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, so far it's Davis & Barnes that look like the top 2 prospects. Of course much can change over a season. I really want to see Davis play at the collegiate level. His ceiling is like what you mentioned Nastradamus. He is a bit lanky though and that could go bad for him too. He kind of has an Austin Daye type build, which is a bit scary for the PF position in the NBA. The thing with Davis is he is a more physical player and he does look like he'll fill out a bit.

A lot depends on whether we keep Tay or not too. There's a bunch of stud SF's in next years draft, especially right at the top. Perry Jones and Quincy Miller are there and then you have guys like Michael Gilchrest, Adonis Thomas, and Terrence Jones too. There's a part of me that thinks Tay might walk and we might end up drafting a SF next year. I'd like to see us make a trade that brings us another first round pick next year. Imagine getting one of those SF's and a big man (because there's a lot of those too). One things for sure next year, we won't have to worry about European players that could be busts I'm glad we got our PG this year too, because next year there won't be as many. We can focus on those other positions and potentially add a star player and have guys like Jerebko, Daye, and BG (maybe) coming off the bench and end up being a really deep team. We need to trade for draft picks and not players that just get us a few more wins but not to the next level.

Decent college freshman

Davis will need to add strength but I do'nt worry about him. He seems to have KG's intensity as well as his talent. His work ethic is right. We certainly will need a SF too(though I don't really like either Jones), but if I have the choice I probably take the elite big.

NBA lottery pick

I gotta admit, I wasn't very high on Bismack when the draft was going on..... but he's been playing pretty good for Charlotte. He looks like he's going to be a pretty decent big man. I still like Knight better, but Bismack would have been a good match with Monroe.

Good college starter

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

No way either Drummond or MKG will be available at #9, i'd be surprised if either of them made it past #6

NBA lottery pick

With the league being rigged and NO getting that top pick it does change things. I don't see Drummond being available either. There's a lot that will happen over the next few weeks though. There's certainly going to be a player who really impresses scouts and GM's in the upcoming workouts. Someone will knock another player out of the top 10.

Good college starter

Joe Dumars loves length and John Henson is sort of a Anthony Davis light in the length category. Pairing Henson with Monroe would be interesting as their skills would likely mesh well. *********