Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old Today, 10:11 AM   #1066
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: 2017-2018 regular season...back to square one again

Kyle Goon: Rudy Gobert: “I think they played more physical than we did. I feel like they wanted it a little more than we did. They deserved it. Until we start playing more physical and being more focused on what we have to do — individually and collectively — we get our a– kicked.” – via Twitter kylegoon

“If I block shots, that’s good, but my goal is just to play good defense whether I get a block or not,” Gobert told *********. “Good defense usually leads to a turnover or a bad shot. Sometimes, guys won’t even shoot; they’ll see me and [rather than challenge me], they’ll just pass it to someone else (laughs). That usually ends pretty badly for them. I love blocking shots, but the mental aspect is the most important to me. It’s a mental game. “Now, [because of my reputation], I feel like I’m in my opponent’s head before the game even starts. They know what I can do. And getting in their head is bigger than any block. When you get in the other guy’s head, you know you’ve already won the battle.” – via *********

“My advice would be to learn about your opponents by watching film and don’t be scared to go get it,” Gobert said. “Nowadays, there are too many guys in the league who are worried about being dunked on; they’ll usually step away if someone is going to dunk. That’s not what you do if you want to win. I’ve been dunked on sometimes, but I’ve blocked quite a few more dunks than the times I’ve been dunked on. The highlights may just show the play where I got dunked on, but I’ve saved way more points than I’ve allowed. I’ve ended up on posters; it happens. You just can’t care about that, but a lot of guys do. – via *********
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #1067
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

The general belief from most is that if Orlando can’t find the kind of deals they are looking for, they’ll simply run out the clock on this season and seek a more aggressive rebuild around the draft and in July when teams can absorb contract money into cap space. The name most teams seem to have eyes on is guard Evan Fournier. There is a belief that of all the players that could get moved Fournier is the most likely. The Magic have also seriously gauged the trade value of point guard Elfrid Payton in advance of his free agency in July. – via Basketball Insiders
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #1068
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
As a more mature individual now, Wilkins said he often thinks about how things may have been had he stayed in Utah to join forces with John Stockton and Karl Malone. Instead of two finals appearances, maybe a few championship banners might be hanging in Vivint Arena. “Playing with Stockton and Malone, we probably could’ve won a few championships,” Wilkins said. “Not probably, we would’ve, but again, things happen in life for a reason, and you’ve got to take what cards are dealt, but coming to Atlanta was a blessing for me, and I’ve never left.” – via Deseret News

The league has now transitioned, too. During his era, there weren’t as many stretch fours and combo players, so it’s cool to see the game evolve from his perspective, but at that time, he wanted no part of the low post in Utah. “I mean, it’s more diverse, more hybrid players playing multiple positions, but in my day you was just happy to play one, sometimes two but you didn’t play multiple positions because the league was physical,” Wilkins recalled. – via Deseret News

You were a loser with or without Stockton/Malone. No titles
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: