Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
joe
College superstar

Default Why is it so difficult to convert VOB files into something Windows Movie Maker...

can understand??

ASDJLKHSLFADSLFALGKHAKLHG

sorry, had to get that out..

I'm using a DVD Recorder to put some of my old VHS tapes onto DVD. Once on the DVD, the files become ".vob." files.

All I want to do is put those files on my computer, convert them into a file type that windows movie maker can recognize, and put them on youtube/send them to my friends and family.

YET EVERY SOFTWARE I DOWNLOAD CAN'T ACCOMPLISH THIS SEEMINGLY SIMPLE TASK.

sorry, had to get that out.

Does ANYONE here have ANY simple, easy, free suggestions on how to do this? There's got to be a simple converter freeware out there somewhere, no?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Default Re: Why is it so difficult to convert VOB files into something Windows Movie Maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
can understand??

ASDJLKHSLFADSLFALGKHAKLHG

sorry, had to get that out..

I'm using a DVD Recorder to put some of my old VHS tapes onto DVD. Once on the DVD, the files become ".vob." files.

All I want to do is put those files on my computer, convert them into a file type that windows movie maker can recognize, and put them on youtube/send them to my friends and family.

YET EVERY SOFTWARE I DOWNLOAD CAN'T ACCOMPLISH THIS SEEMINGLY SIMPLE TASK.

sorry, had to get that out.

Does ANYONE here have ANY simple, easy, free suggestions on how to do this? There's got to be a simple converter freeware out there somewhere, no?
You pretty much want to Google 'DVD to MPEG-2' or uncompressed video.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
joe
College superstar

Default Re: Why is it so difficult to convert VOB files into something Windows Movie Maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
You pretty much want to Google 'DVD to MPEG-2' or uncompressed video.

Nothing I download seems to work. I always get some strange error message, or it doesn't convert the files into something windows movie maker can open. When I go to sites dedicated to answering questions like mine.. the people talk in this computer-nerd language even I, a person who knows a good bit about computers, can't understand.

I just did as you suggested. I downloaded the one that seemed to do what I wanted it to do the most.. and I get an error message when I try to upload my files. "Error: Open DVD Driver."

What does that even mean??

I'm at my wits end, meticode. lol

It seems to me like it should be simple. I should google "VOB to MPEG 2," find a converter, and it should work, easy as pie.

But instead I've been dealing with this problem on and off for the last month. WTffff....

If I can't figure this out, my dvd recorder will be a sunk cost of 150 bucks.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
DeronMillsap
Banned

Get Xilisoft DVD Ripper and convert the VOB file to AVI, WMV, or what your Windows Movie Maker recognizes.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
Get Xilisoft DVD Ripper and convert the VOB file to AVI, WMV, or what your Windows Movie Maker recognizes.

You don't know of any free programs that can accomplish this task? I've dealt with enough of these free programs that didn't work, to make me weary of spending 50 bucks on one, and then finding out it also doesn't work.

I'm starting to think there's something different about my dvd recorder files compared to other peoples. I am doing the exact same thing as people in youtube help videos are doing.. and yet not getting the same results.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
DeronMillsap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
You don't know of any free programs that can accomplish this task? I've dealt with enough of these free programs that didn't work, to make me weary of spending 50 bucks on one, and then finding out it also doesn't work.

I'm starting to think there's something different about my dvd recorder files compared to other peoples. I am doing the exact same thing as people in youtube help videos are doing.. and yet not getting the same results.
I DLed that program free off a board a few years ago. LOL, Didn't realized it cost that much. It's an old version and it's still good.

If I still have the installation .exe part I could upload it for you to download but I don't have the installer.

Try google "Xilisoft" and "showthread" or "forum," and maybe you can find a free version. But always careful though if you're not familiar with that board and its users. I was lucky to find it in a reliable forum that I was a regular on. Too bad that board died, I used to grab a bunch of free softwares from there too.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

If you want something free AutoGK or Guardian Knot would work.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
rezznor
Nosetradamus

did the exact same thing you are trying to using makemkv. it's free.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: