Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Twitter stock plunges: Primetime where you at?

I hope you sold all your Twitter stock like I told you to a month ago bro!
    Twitter Stock Plunges After Revenue Misses Estimates

Twitter disappointed investors yet again with first-quarter results that showed stagnant revenue growth as the microblogging service struggles to grab new users amid efforts to improve its complicated interface with several new features.
    Twitter shares plunged 13.6 percent to $15.34 in late trade on Tuesday after reporting lower-than-expected revenue, hurt by weaker than expected spending by big advertisers, and providing a current-quarter revenue forecast well below analysts' expectations.

Twitter's user base grew modestly to 310 million monthly active users in the quarter ended March 31 from 305 million in the fourth quarter, above analysts' expectations. But investors were let down by the revenue miss since outlining a turnaround plan.
    "It's obvious Twitter is having trouble," said Arvind Bhatia, analyst with CRT Capital. "It's not growing anywhere close to where people expected a while back."
    On a call with analysts, executives said advertisers, especially in Europe, held back spending ahead of major events, including the Olympics and the European Champions League. They also said users were spending more time watching and sharing video, but that advertisers' budgets had not yet shifted from legacy advertising products such as promoted tweets.
    Chief Financial Officer Anthony Noto said Twitter's long-term goal was to have "millions of advertisers like our competitors." Facebook Inc has more than 3 million advertisers.
    Twitter has struggled with stagnant user growth as its complex interface makes it less attractive to new users.
    As part of its turnaround plan, the company has emphasized its live offerings, including live commentary and video streaming through its Periscope app, to attract new users. But it faces fierce competition from Facebook, which has recently ramped up its live video product, Facebook Live.
    Chief Executive Jack Dorsey said that talent recruitment was a top priority for the year, especially on the engineering and product teams. Twitter lost several top executives earlier this year and has since added two new board members and a new chief marketing officer.

The company forecast revenue of $590 million to $610 million for the second quarter. Analysts on average were expecting $677.57 million, according to Thomson Reuters.
    First-quarter revenue rose 36 percent from a year earlier to $594.5 million, but widely missed the average analyst estimate of $607.8 million.
    Its net loss narrowed to $79.7.million, or 12 cents per share, from $162.4 million, or 25 cents per share, a year earlier.
    Excluding items, Twitter earned 15 cents per share, beating the average estimate of 10 cents.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-new...imates-n563326

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Twitter stock plunges: Primetime where you at?

I never bought any, but it has now dropped back down to $14, which is what it was at when I was thinking about buying a few months ago, so even if I had bought, I'd be even right now.

I was thinking of buying Twitter because when someone else BUYS it (like Facebook) the stock will sky rocket, and if the stock price gets low enough, a competitor could purchase it out from under their noses. That could still happen.

Doomsday Dallas prophecy suggests that the internet will no longer
    be around in 2025. Laugh now... "I told you so" later.

anything internet related = bad long term investment.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I never bought any, but it has now dropped back down to $14, which is what it was at when I was thinking about buying a few months ago, so even if I had bought, I'd be even right now.

I was thinking of buying Twitter because when someone else BUYS it (like Facebook) the stock will sky rocket, and if the stock price gets low enough, a competitor could purchase it out from under their noses. That could still happen.
    Where did you learn all your experience from? I wanted to go deeper into investing

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Where did you learn all your experience from? I wanted to go deeper into investing
    I am by no means a 'pro' at trading...I am very much an amateur

I really don't do any serious investing ON MY OWN...everything I do on my own I view as 'fckin around'. And everything I have learned has just been by 'fckin around'...well, that and from my financial adviser.

I'm trying to become a more savvy investor...I learn a little here and a little there.

I am by no means a 'pro' at trading...I am very much an amateur

I really don't do any serious investing ON MY OWN...everything I do on my own I view as 'fckin around'. And everything I have learned has just been by 'fckin around'...well, that and from my financial adviser.

I'm trying to become a more savvy investor...I learn a little here and a little there.
    What does your "portfolio" if I'm using the right terminology look like?
    And is it really a profit after all of the fees/financial advisers & after taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    What does your "portfolio" if I'm using the right terminology look like?
    And is it really a profit after all of the fees/financial advisers & after taxes?
    My portfolio is about 70% stock market and 30% 'alternative' investments (real estate, farm land, land development, oil drilling, etc)

Alternatives are good because if the market hits a recession they can remain unaffected...you don't want to put everything you have into the market.

And right now it always pays me, even if the market goes down...I have it set up to roughly pay me 4% a year, so if it makes 6% the rest gets reinvested. If the market has a down year I will still collect my 4%, and I just hope it makes up for it down the road. In the long run, the market should always go up, with recessions along the way.

My portfolio is about 70% stock market and 30% 'alternative' investments (real estate, farm land, land development, oil drilling, etc)

Alternatives are good because if the market hits a recession they can remain unaffected...you don't want to put everything you have into the market.

And right now it always pays me, even if the market goes down...I have it set up to roughly pay me 4% a year, so if it makes 6% the rest gets reinvested. If the market has a down year I will still collect my 4%, and I just hope it makes up for it down the road. In the long run, the market should always go up, with recessions along the way.
    Thanks brother. Learn something new everyday. I'll look up some youtube videos and read some books more on it.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Are you guys day traders? I want to give it a try. How much do I need to get in..money wise?

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Are you guys day traders? I want to give it a try. How much do I need to get in..money wise?
    If you're just trying to mess around maybe start with $2k. You probably won't make anything serious, maybe a few hundred dollars, but you'll at least get some experience. And who couldn't use a couple hundred dollars?

If you're just trying to mess around maybe start with $2k. You probably won't make anything serious, maybe a few hundred dollars, but you'll at least get some experience. And who couldn't use a couple hundred dollars?
    You're absolutely right. A few hundred dollars is a few bills. A few meals. A few dollars to spend. I truly want to get into it. Considering I'm going in to Social Work, I'm going to need to expand in investing to bring in more income.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

2K seriously? I heard I could start with $500.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    2K seriously? I heard I could start with $500.
    eh...that won't do much unless you hit the lotto with a penny stock.

it's $6 a trade...that $6 means something when your profit is like $50.

If you're just wanting to learn, then sure okay.

Good rule of thumb:

For every $10,000 you set aside... it should give you $60 a month.

If you had purchased $2000 worth of Google stock just 1 year ago...it would be worth $2800 right now.

Google

They are gonna own the world