Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #31
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Re: Why do people lift heavy weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomSR.
Donīt have one, but i do have a gun that can put bullets through even the biggest meatheads that show off their muscles and think they are hard........bodybuilders and meatheads= fukking fagggots

Whats wrong with taking care of your body?

I mean, methheads? strange, but okay... "bodybuilders" ? You problably all think of them as slow jacked up roid users
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #32
outbreak
Banned

I have a friend who was a nerdy guy and got hooked on the gym fad, takes all the supplements. In like 4 years he still has no muscles, I have more and I don't work out at all.

I get people trying to stay fit but these days people take it to the extreme, it's hard to say your lifting and doing regimes to stay "fit and healthy" when your taking a bunch of iffy supplements that people still debate on whether or not they cause damage to other organs and muscle or when your lifting so much or doing crossfit so much that your ****ing up your joints and body just to look overly rippe or just to claim you participate in that sub culture.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #33
Vragrant
Decent college freshman

Weightlifting has been said to increase bone density, which obviously helps you into old age. It also helps with coordination, I notice my off hand has more control, which makes sense because you are doing a labour intensive activity with it.

Also I don't see any downside to getting stronger, unless you are overextending yourself
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #34
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
I honestly don't get it. I see people talking about deadlifting 405 X 7 etc. I doubt there is any true health benefit from this. Not much benefit from women either I'd say.

It always amazes me that people that either:

a) lift weights like crazy
b) run super long distances/swim super long distances

Neither is truly that healthy for your body. And neither is as fun as playing a real sport.

I sprint 3x a week and do some pushups and pullups (about a 15 minute workout), and play hoops 2x a week. I drink freshmade juice at home. Beside that I really don't do any specific stuff, beside limiting processed food and not drinking much soda.

I'm 100% pain free, aesthetically pleasing to look at, great energy/sex drive. and am going to live well into my 80's.

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why working out and lifting super heavy weight (or running marathons) is now considered fun.
You're also insanely conceited and self-absorbed, otherwise you would understand that other people may have different interests and different definitions of fun than you.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #35
Bosnian Sajo
Why?

Quote:
I used to slave away an hour or so and lift etc but it was never fun. It made me feel good..but the actual activity was not fun. Combine that with learning girls really dont care, and it isnt necessarily that healthy it seemed pointless.

Pushups pullups and dips arent fun either. However it doesnt take me much time and i do know that i need to do something strength related.

In all honesty, anyone that can do 50 pushups, 20 pullups and 20 dips in row is about as physically strong anyone needs to be.

Maybe not in South Korea, but here in the states girls melt for guys with some definition.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #36
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Life liberty and I pursuit of hsppiness
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
That's actually somewhat remotely interesting. I'll check it out.

As for Dresta, yeah that's true....but none of that is as important as actual basketball ability. Once you are in reasonable enough shape to be able to play for a few hours, having a wet jumper, or tight handles is much more important to your game.

Additionally, people that workout to supplement (or because) of sports that makes sense to me. However, there are a large number of people that seem to just workout. Not play any sports. It's odd.

I think as people grow up they forget how ridiculously fun it is to play sports. America has very few/shizzy organized outlets for adults to play regularly. It's mostly got a bunch of fitness centers.

Out here (South Korea) there are more 30 to 60 year olds at the park playing some sort of sport than there are 12 to 25 year olds. People 12 to 25 either have too much studying, school, or just starting a career, so they don't have the time to get out that much.

Obviously bball skill is most important to bball... but you're misrepresenting it. I was a track/XC guy back in the day and was always pretty weak with little muscle but lots of endurance. I had no problem playing several hours of ball but I couldn't muscle anyone or fight for rebounds, nor was I explosive. I kept getting more skilled, but my skill didn't translate to a better game until I started lifting and got considerably stronger. Like Dresta said, squats and deadlifts are extremely important. I used to have weak shoulders so military press is a huge one too.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #38
Bandito
NBA Legend

I like lifting weight s because it gets me pussy easier than before I use to lift. I like pussy a lot.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #39
sundizz
National High School Star

Who would you consider had a better life/healthy etc? For arguments sake let's say they have very similar genetic history, race, body type, etc.

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:
Drinks homemade juice 1x a day (e.g kale, spinach, carrots, etc using a juicer) in the morning. Eat delicious food, but doesn't eat dessert often (1x a week), and tries to stay away from processed food (e.g. Hamburger Helper). Total calories about 1900 per day.
Exercise (in his backyard):
Sprints 2x a week in the morning after juice (T, Th) - 15 minutes
Strength: Does 5 sets of pullups, 5 sets of pushups, 5 sets of dips - 30 minutes (M, W, F)
Sports: Plays basketball for a few hours on Saturday morning with friends
Body feeling: Is generally pain-free, doesn't get sick often.
Age: Doesn't smoke. Drinks 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Drinks 1x a month with friends. Expected life expectancy 81.

Person B:
5'11
9%
Diet: Eats 6x meals a day and meticulously prepares them to meet caloric and dietary requirements. Eats a lot of protein and takes supplements. Total calories about 3,200.
Exercise: Everyday, varied weight lifting/etc to maintain "buff" physique spends about 2 hours a day going to/working out/coming home from the gym.
Body feeling: Usually feels like they have high energy, normal body pains from working out, occasional injuries from overlifting.
Age: Doesn't smoke. Doesn't drink. Expected life expectancy 64.

Last edited by sundizz : 04-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #40
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

It's kind of unfair to give examples like those because not person who lifts weights lifts that way, eats that way, or whatever. Of course when you put it that way, it's going to sound like person A (which is based on what you do, right?) is healthier because of the way person B was described. Sure, from that we may be able to say A is healthier than B, but does B represent the whole weightlifting population? No, they don't.

I lift as heavy as I can for what parameters a certain movement will allow me three times a week, do intermittent fasting and eat two meals a day with my biggest one being at night, and do sprints mixed with some other cardio movement twice a week but because I lift, does that make me less healthy than you? I have no idea, but that definitely does not put me in the category B is in, and there are a host of other combinations of lifestyle habits that could include lifting heavy weights.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #41
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Who would you consider had a better life/healthy etc? For arguments sake let's say they have very similar genetic history, race, body type, etc.

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:
Drinks homemade juice 1x a day (e.g kale, spinach, carrots, etc using a juicer) in the morning. Eat delicious food, but doesn't eat dessert often (1x a week), and tries to stay away from processed food (e.g. Hamburger Helper). Total calories about 1900 per day.
Strength: Does 5 sets of pullups, 5 sets of pushups, 5 sets of dips - 30 minutes (M, W, F)
Age: Doesn't smoke. Drinks 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Drinks 1x a month with friends. Expected life expectancy 81.

Person B:
5'11
9%
Diet: Eats 6x meals a day and meticulously prepares them to meet caloric and dietary requirements. Eats a lot of protein and takes supplements. Total calories about 3,200.
Exercise: Everyday, varied weight lifting/etc to maintain "buff" physique spends about 2 hours a day going to/working out/coming home from the gym.
Body feeling: Usually feels like they have high energy, normal body pains from working out, occasional injuries from overlifting.

The flaw in your argument is that you assume the purpose of exercise is to be healthy. Granted, you can have a case since eating healthy, avoiding cigs and drinking, and doing some light exercises can lead to a healthy lifestyle, but your reasoning is fallacious since you are not taking in other factors.

1. Muscle mass equates to sexiness. This is why men want to buff up; they want some mad p*ssy.

2. Stronger is better in sports.

3. Stronger is better for confidence and mentality.

Your point is moot since you are not taking these factors (and so many others) into consideration. You are just trolling if you are going to stick to your fallacious "health" argument.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #42
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Donīt have one, but i do have a gun that can put bullets through even the biggest meatheads that show off their muscles and think they are hard........bodybuilders and meatheads= fukking fagggots

You scrawny and weak huh
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:36 AM   #43
ace23

Quote:
Why do people lift heavy weights?

People post the dumbest shit.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #44
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:

Someone was bullied hard as a kid ^^^. I'm sorry about that, but don't take it out on people who lift.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #45
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:

Person A:
5'11
18% bodyfat
Diet:

Person B:
5'11
9%

Lol @ the pseudo-science. Could you please share your evidence that resistance training shortens life-spans?

Henry Rollins summed up perfectly why I personally enjoy lifting weights.

“The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that your a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend, never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds.”
- Henry Rollins
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: