Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation
Default Colangelo most likely to use the #1; Narrowed down to 2 players; my speculation!

Quote:
Raptors NBA TV - In a live press conference, Bryan Colangelo announced that the Toronto Raptors will most likely utilize the top pick in the draft and are deciding between two prospects.

Colangelo did not reveal the players being targetted.

Using speculation, I can tell who Colangelo might be thinking to pick tomorrow night.

One of them is obviously Andrea Bargnani with all the talk, BC and Mitchell going down to Italy to see him play, etc.

Now..some of you might be thinking Colangelo is thinking about taking LaMarcus Aldridge? think again..

LaMarcus Aldridge is represented by agent Arm Tellem. Arm is a guy that likes to control situations and has a history that demonstrates an aversion to letting his clients play in Canada. His past clients were Tracy McGrady, Mo-Taylor.

So don't you think Tellem has expressed his desire to BC?

check out this article

Quote:
Asked if that meant that a specific team had committed to taking them, Tellem said, "I know where they're going, yes."

As you would expect, Tellem wasn't as forthcoming about exactly which teams would select Aldridge and Roy, but he did tell me that both players were done working out.

But why not work out for the No. 3 team in the draft?

Does that mean Aldridge and Roy are going No. 1 and No. 2?

Not necessarily, according to Tellem.

"I've never been caught up on the number of where a guy goes," Tellem said. "It's about finding the right situation for our clients. In this case, we've found a good fit for both of them, so there's no need for them to work out for anyone else."

Does that mean Tellem would discourage other teams from drafting Aldridge or Roy?

"I don't think it will get to that," Tellem said. "Both are going very high. But if that needs to happen, I'll do it."

So that takes out LaMarcus Aldridge from our search.

Now go take a look at ESPN's front page..who do we have there? Rudy Gay

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The spin continues among the lottery teams Tuesday morning, but after sifting through the smoke, there are some new revelations that could certainly shake up one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory.
There are two players who didn't have any medical concerns among the proposed top seven: Connecticut's Rudy Gay and Italy's Andrea Bargnani. And, at least at this late stage, there is a chance -- albeit an outside one -- that they could be the top two players selected.

League sources confirmed to ESPN.com that Toronto is considering Gay at No. 1. This would certainly shock the draft, since Gay has been considered a lock to drop over the past few weeks.

The #1 Pick has been narrowed down to Andrea Bargnani and Rudy Gay now we have to wait and see who BC will pick tomorrow.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Interesting to say the least. I still think Bargnani though.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

23jordan23 has an OK reputation so far
Default ..

Ya It looks like Lamarcus is Commited to either the bulls or Portland and even as low as 7 with the celts ..speculation was his stock dropped in the workouts.

Like i said also dont throw out the probability of us Drafting a PG also (marcus Williams).Because i cant see us getting an offensive minded point guard like foye.
23jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

There is a definate possibility that we trade down to the 6-9 range, get a player in return and draft Foye or Williams. I wouldn't be to upset with that at all.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far
Lightbulb It's possible.....

...but I don't completely agree with that reasoning. Why would Aldridge work out for us a week or so before the draft if he wasn't interested? If he weren't that interested then he would've cancelled the workout altogether....like he did with the Bobcats. I think at this point he'd be more influence by his buddy Chris Bosh.

I say it's still comes down to Bargnani or Aldridge.....with an 80/20 chance to be #1 for each.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1151404148692&call_pag eid=968332188492

Quote:
DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Having sifted through countless trade propositions and had more telephone conversations than he can possibly remember, Bryan Colangelo is certain today of one thing:

Toronto will make the No. 1 selection in Wednesday's NBA draft.

"There was nothing we felt was enough to change our course," the team's president and general manager said today. "The offers were not of the calibre we thought was enough to move the pick."

So Colangelo goes into tomorrow's draft with two prospective selections for the first No. 1 draft pick in franchise history.

He wouldn't divulge who they are but informed speculation would say the decision has come down to 7-foot Italian Andrea Bargnani and 7-foot Texan LaMarcus Aldridge, who are seen as far and away the best big men available.

If there is a long shot at No. 1, it would be Gonzaga forward Adam Morrison, thought to be the most NBA-ready of the draft prospects, while Villanova guard Randy Foye wowed the Raptors in his private workout for the team but not enough to make him the top choice overall.

Colangelo said he will be fielding calls and listening to more offers right up until the draft but that with all the conversations he's had already, he thinks he's heard the best that other teams had to offer.

"There have been some interesting and unique offers out there," the general manager said.

In a new wrinkle, Colangelo said he is trying to obtain a second pick in the top 10 of the first round without giving up the No. 1 selection. Which player he's trying to move in order to make the deal is unknown but Charlie Villanueva would be a logical choice given his age, his promise as a player and his relatively inexpensive salary.

Colangelo said what everyone had been speculating: That it would take a player of all-star calibre for him to give up the No. 1 choice and move right out of the draft; it would take a player of above-average ability and a draft pick to move back into the middle of the top 10 selections.

And the thought that Toronto could move back to somewhere around No. 5, 6, or 7 and still be able to draft Bargnani is simply wrong, the general manager said.

"He's gone (by then), he's off the board. There are a lot of teams that do have an interest in him," the general manager said.

Because the Raptors own the first pick and can determine their own fate, Colangelo said any thought that he might be putting out disinformation about his thoughts doesn't make much sense. If he keeps the pick, he's going to get the guy he wants to there's no need to purposely mislead other general managers.

"Sometimes in this game, telling the truth is the best smokescreen of all," he said.

Either Bargnani or Aldridge, both 20 years old, would fit a glaring need for big men that exists on the Raptor roster right now. Even with the acquisition last week of centre Rasho Nesterovic, Toronto really has only Chris Bosh and Nesterovic who could be considered capable centres in the NBA. They dealt away Rafael Araujo for Kris Humphries, who is more of a power forward than a centre, Loren Woods is a free agent who won't be invited back and the returning Pape Sow is far from big enough to play more than limited minutes against bona fide NBA big men.

power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Bosh4life has an OK reputation so far

Damn no rumours of gay in that article. The good news in that though is the fact that loren woods is finally gone.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Aldridge may have impressed them more than they thought he would have in his workout.

If they choose Bargnani, why not trade down to #3 though???

If they choose Aldridge then they will and should keep the #1 to select him with Chicago likely wanting him as well.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation
Default Colangelo most likely to use the #1; Narrowed down to 2 players; my speculation!

The ideal situation for the Raptors is to trade Villanueva for TJ Ford or Luke Ridnour then draft Rudy Gay. If they don't do that they should draft Brandon Roy. He could play PG for them or SG or SF whatever they need. He is extremely versatile and is the most complete player in the draft. He has all the skills needed to be a really good player.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

They’re not trading down cause Bickerstaff is being a biitch.

The dumba$$ thinks that Brevin Knight is worth more than just moving up to #1.

I hope MJ cans his ass cause MJ would like to move up to 1 and select Gay.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComu...d=194351&src=0

Quote:
(On their situation with Brevin Knight drawing interest in potential trades) The one thing we want people to know is that we are not making the calls right now -- the calls are coming to us, and it behooves us to listen. And that is one thing that we have always been straight up with Brevin about, is that if we can put him in a position where we can be a contender and he would be respected, then we would consider doing that, especially if it benefited our basketball team. But if it doesn’t happen, we are happy with Brevin. I think he did great with him and Raymond together. I think the chemistry between him and Raymond was very good, but Brevin is just one of the guys that there is some interest in. Our core group of players, we get calls about all the time, so we know we are on the right track. We know we have a nice young basketball team, and there’s a lot of interest in our players.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

Zalendar has an OK reputation so far

All this is really making the draft interesting. Cant' wait till tomorrow to watch it unfold!

I would love it if the Raps could get a second pick in the 1st roudn without giving up Bosh, Villy, Graham or Moe Pete
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I'd want them to draft Foye or Williams, but only if they already mdae another pick, or the trade they make to be in position to get one of them REALLY improves the other positions.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
SirPresident
I hit open 5-footers

SirPresident has an OK reputation so far

I hope your right these are the 2 players i want the most. I will be happy with either of them.
SirPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

It definatley wont b Foye ..I like foye better than Williams ..but the kind of ball we want to play Foye wouldnt fitt the bill..It even says in Foye's scouting report..Hes a shoot first pass second kinda PG and i know how alot of people in this forum LOVE mike james for that lol
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

YEAH BABY! RUDY GAY'S MY MAN! if we get him i will be so ****ing over the moon! i wanted him all along, if we go with gay or morrison then we ship out villaneuava, for a top 10 pick and grab marcus williams, or we trade him for a PG like TJ ford, or luke ridnour, our roster will be ****ing sweet!!!!! RUDY! RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

Marcus Willaims
Morris Peterson
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh
Rasho Nesterovic

thats championship material right there!!!
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

The two players are ...(drumroll) ....are u ready???????

Bergnani and ..............Rudy Gaye

jus found that out thought id share
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: