Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

Default What Could Have Been....

I posted this in the main forum, I would like Kings fans opinions on this

Ok, if Petrie drafted Gilbert Arenas instead of Gerald Wallace in 2001 the Kings could have let him develope and would have rode the bench behind Bibby/Christie/Jackson.

Petrie then could have drafted Carlos Boozer instead of Dan Dickau and he would have backed up Chris Webber. The Kings then could have done the trade with Indiana for Brad Miller leaving our roster like this:

PG-Bibby/Jackson
SG-Christie/Arenas
SF-Stojakovic/Jim Jackson
PF-Webber/Boozer
c - Divac/Miller

Now we all saw the decline of Webber right? Well Boozer could have filled his position after the trade and the present day Kings would not be in shambles.

2007-2008

PG-Bibby/Salmons/Shakur
SG-Arenas/Martin
SF-Artest/Garcia
PF-Boozer/Abdur-Rahim
C -Miller/Moore

But Petrie is a genius right?
LAZYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Targus™
National High School Star

Default Re: What Could Have Been....

nobody's perfect. i mean who could've predicted those players would become as good as they have...put yoursef in his position when he was at the draft, he needed to fill a certain position...so why would u take a forward it just doesnt make sense. but i guess if you're talking about what could have been...well we would have been pretty good even now lol. oh well...could've would've should've

Last edited by Targus™ : 08-10-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
nobody's perfect. i mean who could've predicted those players would become as good as they have...put yoursef in his position when he was at the draft, he needed to fill a certain position...so why would u take a forward it just doesnt make sense. but i guess if you're talking about what could have been...well we would have been pretty good even now lol. oh well...could've would've should've

I'm a big Arizona guy and I even had no idea that Arenas would be that good so I understand passing on that one. But, the Boozer one was just pure stupidity IMO. The guy was a hustle guy in college at a premier program, he even remided me of Brand. He played a position we needed a backup for but instead he drafted Dickau and traded him for scraps. Also when he drafted Douby over Marcus Williams, I had the same feeling that had with Boozer. It seems every year he never takes the guy he should, like he's gambling or something. Petrie is not a top 10 GM IMO and he is highly over rated.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
BradMiller52
Kings fan

The Arenas one is crazy because IIRC somewhere Arenas said he was pissed the Kings passed on him because he shot like crazy and Petrie gave him a promise. I guess Petrie did that with Douby who had a great workout here and it was the same situation because Gerald and Williams never worked out for us. Petrie was supposedly afraid to make that mistake again but its funny because he seemingly made the wrong decision each time.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Kings_Alex
Sugar K

Petrie doesn't have a crystal ball. no one could've expected this. but after all that, what about his other moves...drafting peja, trading for bibby, he put together one of the deadliest starting lineups. bibby, chrisite, stojakovic, webber, divac. as for today, he has made some silly moves that make me start to worry.
Kings_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Alex
he put together one of the deadliest starting lineups

I think it was more the system than it was the players.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Kings_Alex
Sugar K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZYBOY
I think it was more the system than it was the players.
the players are the system
Kings_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Alex
the players are the system

Not quite. Rick took a disfunctional+injured team to the playoffs and almost beat the Spurs, Muss takes the same team to the 10th pick in the draft. The coach definitely has something to do with it.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Not quite. Rick took a disfunctional+injured team to the playoffs and almost beat the Spurs, Muss takes the same team to the 10th pick in the draft. The coach definitely has something to do with it.

+1 though that may not be the best example because of injuries/lack of motivation (which i guess can be argued as the coach's responsibility). bibby was hurt...ron had his back thing, brad was out, we lost bonzi...the chemistry wasn't really the same....

that said, i think adelman still had a very large hand in the kings making it as far as they did and being as good as they were...yes the players are technically the system, but the coach is the one who creates and implements the system...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

doubters will see with the rockets this year, they will be much better in that system.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
dleave
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

You guys are crazy.

It's a combination of players and coach. Adelman couldn't do much with the Warriors lineup he had.

You guys call out two bad drafts, then completely ignore all the good moves he made as "the system." And the Wallace draft wasn't even a bad one. I'd still draft Wallace first and I'd sign him first as a free agent too.

A lot of you just seem to want a trade for the sake of a trade, but Petrie is being smart. Trust him. You don't just trade your players away for 50 cents on the dollar just because you sucked last year.

Whether you want to give him credit for it our not, it's a FACT that he built us a championship calibur team once before. How many other GMs in this league can say that? This is exactly how everyone was *****ing about Adelman his last couple years, and then as soon as he's gone and you all can see how good you had it, everyone wants him back.

Give him 3 years, not 3 months. You can't rebuild a team that fast.
dleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

IMO teams function better when a coach has his system and the GM recognizes that system, then builds around it. Just look at Phil Jackson, Don Nelson and Mike D'Antoni. Jackson was brought to LA because his system was perfect for Shaq and Kobe had to adjust. When Nelson came to Golden State, Baron Davis thrived because Nelson values PGs more than most coaches. As soon as Nash got into a more up-tempo offense under D'Antoni he won two (should have been 3) straight MVPs.

Also Nash had a great system for his style under Nelson too.

My point is this: successful teams have players that fit a coaches system and "buy in". Coaches who fit their team to a player, like the 2006 Clevland Cavaliers, aren't generally championship teams. Even Jordan played under the guidance of the triangle offense.
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: