Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

I just really don't understand this...

This shouldn't be regarded as anything but embarrassing. The game was not meant to played in this fashion.

If someone was full court pressing my team at the end of a game with a huge lead... someone would be getting laid out. I couldn't care less about the "system" they are running. Sportsmanship is sportsmanship, and the response to poor sportsmanship is someone getting laid out on the floor.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

He couldn't score 2 points in the NBA.

Might as well be some dude chucking at the YMCA.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Man he must have insane stamina i mean id get tired just shooting 100+ shots without running, to me his stamina is the most impressive thing about all of this. How good is divi III college ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Court Vision
    Someone please create a smiley.

Serious playground baller TheGreatBlaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

Here's one clip of how things look in a typical Grinnell contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgKFLadcfM
    That burst of speed by #24 at the 55 second mark if this clip was very impressive to me. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone make a drive that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Man he must have insane stamina i mean id get tired just shooting 100+ shots without running, to me his stamina is the most impressive thing about all of this. How good is divi III college ball?
    I guess it just depends and, to be honest, I have no idea. I do know the DIII school close to where I'm from was alright. The guys that play(ed) there weren't even necessarily the best or second best player on their high school team, but were/are still really good solid basketball players. If anything, most of them are skilled players with a really good understanding of the game. Even when they come out on the court they don't look much different than a high school team size wise. They'll have a few bigs in the 6'5"-6'7" range and a lot of guards in the 5'10"-6'2"ish range.

It probably varies greatly since I'm guessing there's a ton of DIII schools around the country. I'm guessing some teams field a roster that could be somewhat competitive at a higher level, and obviously there's DIII players that absolutely could at least hack it at a higher level.

Of course that school isn't ever nationally competitive and DIII schools can't give out athletic scholarships.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-21-2012 at 04:51 AM.

I'm going to ignore the 0 assist part because that is horrid but the fact the he scored 138 points and I dont care if he shot 102 shots is still impressive. Division 3 basketball is a straight joke though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    if he has passed on half those missed 3's they could have scored 200 total
    If he passed the ball on half of those threes, that would have been time wasted and it arguably would have worked against their own system. The first semi-clean look goes up.

I think it'd be a strange, yet welcomed adjustment to be able to play basketball and never think twice about one's own shot selection. There's not a lot of "within the flow" or "let's work it around". It's, "if you've got a shot, take it, immediately."

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    This shouldn't be regarded as anything but embarrassing. The game was not meant to played in this fashion.
    I respectfully disagree. I think it's wonderful to know the game can be successfully toggled in such a manner; that the "same old" isn't the only way we'll ever be able to see a team get the job done. It's encouraging to know there's room for very unique strategies.

It sort of reminds me of a high school football coach I read about from the Arkansas area. He never punts, ever. He crunched a giant amount of data and came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for his team to take that extra down every drive and attempt to proceed up the field instead of willfully giving up possession, even if they're within their own 10 yard line. His strategy worked, as his team became state champions. However, even with data and logic to back up his reasons for not punting, there's still folks out there who claim he's an idiot not playing the game as it's intended to be played. I think the resistance to innovation, particularly when it's been proven successful, is short sighted.

Here's an article on the football coach: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-21-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
    I'm going to ignore the 0 assist part because that is horrid but the fact the he scored 138 points and I dont care if he shot 102 shots is still impressive. Division 3 basketball is a straight joke though.
    They so beat D1 teams every year tho.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    If he passed the ball on half of those threes, that would have been time wasted and it arguably would have worked against their own system. The first semi-clean look goes up.

I think it'd be a strange, yet welcomed adjustment to be able to play basketball and never think twice about one's own shot selection. There's not a lot of "within the flow" or "let's work it around". It's, "if you've got a shot, take it, immediately."

I respectfully disagree. I think it's wonderful to know the game can be successfully toggled in such a manner; that the "same old" isn't the only way we'll ever be able to see a team get the job done. It's encouraging to know there's room for very unique strategies.

It sort of reminds me of a high school football coach I read about from the Arkansas area. He never punts, ever. He crunched a giant amount of data and came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for his team to take that extra down every drive and attempt to proceed up the field instead of willfully giving up possession, even if they're within their own 10 yard line. His strategy worked, as his team became state champions. However, even with data and logic to back up his reasons for not punting, there's still folks out there who claim he's an idiot not playing the game as it's intended to be played. I think the resistance to innovation, particularly when it's been proven successful, is short sighted.

Here's an article on the football coach: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
    i agree...this is no different than running a no huddle...its up to the defense to stop them

Just slap him on a wrist couple times when he's shooting, deal sorted. It seems the other team was such a *******.

NBA Superstar

The Sportscenter interview is cracking me up.

They asked about his shot total:
    "Um, well we played in a tournament last weekend and I hadn't shot the ball very well, so coming into the game tonight, it was definitely a focus of our team to try to get me going offensively a little bit before we get into conference play."
    Getting going offensively a little bit = 108 shot attempts.

When he realized something special was going on:
    "Um, I thought I only had about 30 points at halftime. But coach came in and told me I had 58 and the team was uh, really excited about that and um, wanted to continue giving me the ball."
    Nothing like feeling like you have 30 and finding out you actually have 58... at half.

Another golden line, from the host:
    "I understand you were averaging 24 points before tonight's game. Now you're averaging 61."
    Also, top comment raises an interesting point. How often can someone score 70 (as a player on the opposing team did) and get absolutely no publicity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCcVp...ature=g-high-f
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Someone please create a smiley.