Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #17326
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
He really does play a great villain. I saw it again and appreciated his whackiness. That washing his hand before he went to pee and than NOT washing it on his way out, says a man only washes it before OR after but not both, it's a sign of weakness

I stumbled on this article yesterday about how odd it is that a movie is receiving this level of critical acclaim while really being centered around the physical relationship between a woman and a fish person.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...water-fish-sex

It's interesting to me, because it doesn't mention Shannon's characters' relationship with his wife, which is jarringly bizarre and so sudden. And then his advances toward Elisa are really unnerving. I know they're playing a "who's the real monster" idea, but the Shannon sex scene was quite a way to push the envelope.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 AM   #17327
highwhey
me chingue tu morra

Shot Caller was fantastic, big fan of Jaime Lannister and The Punisher, also the American soldier from Sicario(guy in glasses).

highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #17328
Draz
The People's Choice

Insidious - 4.5/10

Beginning was good, went to shit
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #17329
UK2K
NBA Legend

Just watched Dunkirk.

It was weird.

6/10.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #17330
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

In "Being John Malkovich", why is Craig trapped inside Emily's body? Why can't he control her if he was?
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 AM   #17331
scuzzy
2018 POTY

Cloverfield Paradox 4/10

Just suprised dropped on Netflix tonight after the superbowl, independent film by JJ Abrams

Absolute trash compared to Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane

Don't buy the hype
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #17332
coin24
7-time NBA All-Star

Finally got around to watching atomic blonde..

What a steaming pile of shit.. 2/10
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #17333
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

Annihilation.. 9.4/10.

It's weird. Beautiful horror, with some bits of sci-fi. It's not for everyone and I can see some people flat out hating the last 20 minutes where shit gets much weirder. I think it's a totally normal set of things to happen. Only issue is some of the pacing is not as tight as it should have been.
hold this L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #17334
tomdaw
Saw a basketball once

Collateral 8/10
tomdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #17335
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coin24
Finally got around to watching atomic blonde..

What a steaming pile of shit.. 2/10
It had a good soundtrack tho.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #17336
Thorpesaurous

Big Bump.

I saw two things last weekend, now that my coaching season is on hiatus (although I'm sure I'll find myself at enough AAU games that I might as well be coaching).

Isle of Dogs is the punny title of Wes Anderson's newest flick. It's another animated piece, which excited me because Fantastic Mr. Fox is among my favorites of his. I read some critiques asking why he bothers with animation, when his regular characters pretty much come off as cartoons anyway (which is a silly question considering his two animated bits are about talking animals), but I'd argue that may be why animation works for him. The general plot is a Japanese political movement has exiled all pet dogs to an abandoned island off shore due to an outbreak of a couple of canine related diseases. The President's adopted nephew heads to the island to rescue his guard dog. It plays like most action adventure movies after that with the kid and a band of very talentedly voiced dogs on a search of the island to find Spots the guard dog. The sub plot is about a group of students, led by an American exchange student, uncovering a conspiracy that led to the dog exile. I've also read some criticism about the fact that the white girl saved the day, however I feel like this is yet another example of over sensitivity. The lack of translation of most of the Japanese in the movie is outwardly stated at the beginning. Political speeches may be translated on television broadcasts, as a means of moving the plot, the dogs speak English, but you don't understand the kid very much. The idea is that you're seeing it from the dog's perspective. It's gimmicky, and to me it's just a way to outwork the gimmick to move the plot. I'm not a Japanese guy, so I guess I can't say for sure if it was offensive or not, but it all read more like parody to me.

It looks every bit a Wes Anderson movie. All the square picture frame shots are there. The side scrolling camera is there as much as ever. It might be the most Wes Anderson-y of all the Wes Anderson movies. So if you're into that, it'll work for you. A couple scenes in particular, which are shot perfectly square top down, are portfolio pieces of his work. He does a few different looks here than he did with Fox. He mixes in traditional animation with the stop and go stuff. So if a TV is on, it comes across as drawn animation. Same with background signs and stuff. It's an interesting mix. And the stop and go feels way more computer animated than Fox did.

I'm mostly a traditionalist with his stuff. I like Tannenbaums best. Then probably Fox (I have a soft spot for the animation), and Rushmore. This to me falls in behind those. But my immediate reaction is that I liked it more than Moonrise Kingdom or Darjeeling Limited. But it's mixed in with the other stuff after that. I didn't like it as much as Fox, which is it's obvious closest relative.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #17337
Thorpesaurous

I also saw Chappaquidick last weekend, and liked that as well. Although it's got some warts. The good part is that I thought Jason Clark killed it as Ted Kennedy. It was a nice depiction of the character's struggle between doing what he knew was right, doing what was best for him, and the third pressure of doing what was best for his family's legacy. The interesting thing is that what's best for him and what's best for the family are really the same thing, but when it was just what's best for him, he has a hard time convincing himself to do it. It's the added pressure of the family's legacy that seems to push him past his doubts. (There is one particular line from Teddy that comes off as particularly harsh, but I thought it worked for dramatic effect).

It wasn't a great look at the technical aspects of the case, which is something that's always interested me. In fact, they in my opinion dramatically play up Mary Jo's death in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, although I've heard the theory that she could've been saved, I'm not sure I believe it, and this played up that saved idea in a way I found more for show than in any way convincing. The timeline can be a little hard to follow for a minute there, which is more the fault of the film than anything, and it's not a huge deal, just a minor moment or too I felt could've been clearer.

Ed Helms was great as his cousin Joe. A fix it guy, who also served as the voice of conscience. It's one of those spots where it's strange to see a traditionally comedic actor in a serious role, but it really works. Jim Gaffigan also has one of those roles, albeit smaller.

Overall I felt it painted the story about as well it's understood, tragic and irresponsible although probably not with the evil intent it's sometimes depicted, with a touch of post accident evil due to the aspirations of the family. They hint at the notion of womanizing without actually getting to it, which is also probably fair IMO. It also paints the conspiracy angle pretty well as far as I'm concerned too. Technically it's a conspiracy, as a team came in to handle the story. Everything got comically botched. But it doesn't change the intent.

Overall pretty well done. And sort of a good quick way to get familiar with the story if you don't know much about it.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #17338
Thorpesaurous

So I saw A Quiet Place this weekend. I liked it a ton. I know it's getting some backlash, as to be expected after it's huge opening weekend. While I would openly discuss some of my finer criticisms, that would be too spoilery, especially when overall I think it was excellent.

Really nice gimmick (the monsters have super hearing), which led to a unique movie, with so little dialogue, and so little sound at all. I like stories like this that just sort of drop you into it. There's little explanation of what led to this, and what there is is mostly picked up through the sets, not exposition (with so little dialogue, there's very little exposition). The world building is excellent.

One of things that I think makes this theater worthy, is the sound design. Because of the near constant character silence, the noise of the environment sticks out, and the theater built sound plays excellently. It also looks gorgeous, in spite of a really limited setting. There's really only three or four sets in the whole movie.

As with most good horror movies, it puts you in that "what would you do" head space. And certainly there's some cliché horror dopiness, but those are things for a different conversation. And I like all the small details, which hint at things, and are good for discussing, once you've seen it.

It's definitely got some influence in it. I thought Signs pretty quickly watching it. I really dug the monster design, but if you've played Until Dawn on PlayStation, which almost no one has, I also got the sense that the writers almost had to have pulled from that too.

It's got some flaws, but like I said, not stuff I'd want to mention here. But I will say that it felt like it was edited down to PG-13 by wiping some of the gore clean.

Definitely worth seeing.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #17339
Duderonomy
Perrrfect

Boiler room 7/10

Going to see Proud Mary later this week.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #17340
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

I loved Quiet Place and think it's very much worth going to see it on the big screen, the sound is such a big part of it, I think you're cheating yourself waiting for video unless you have a serious home theater setup. It's one of those you want to immerse yourself in.

Annihilation was good but didn't live up to Ex Machina for me. My expectations may have been a bit high. Very cool visually and I'm always happy to see a fairly original sci-fi world.

Ready Player One was fun, didn't blow me away.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: