Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Default Re: Who Is the Player From the 90s Thats Gets the Most Overrated Now

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    What do you mean you guys? I'm certainly not on the side of the guy you were arguing with.

Why bow out so easily though? If you really feel that Pippen was a better player than Olajuwon that year, why not try to make your case?

I would probably have Pippen at 3-5 that year.

Guys that were clearly better(in my opinion),

Olajuwon
    27pts 12reb 4ast 1.5stl 4blk
    +Much better scorer
    +Much better rebounder
    +Much better defender(one of the best ever)
    +Took a team with less talent than what Pippen was working with and led
    them to an NBA championship
    -Pippen was a better passer/playmaker

Robinson
    30pts 12reb 5ast 1.5stl 3blk
    +Much better scorer
    +Much better rebounder
    +Much better defender
    -Crumbled in the playoffs(probably had something to do with his half-court game)
    -Great passer for his size, but not on Pippen's level

Guys that were arguably better,

O'Neal
    29pts 13reb 2ast 3blk
    +Much better scorer(extremely efficient)
    +Much better rebounder
    -Lacked defensive effort
    -Inexperience?
    -No where near the passer that Pippen was

Ewing
    +Better Scorer
    +Better Rebounder
    +Lead his team to the finals
    +Better Defender(anchored one of the best defensive teams ever)
    -No where near the passer that Pippen was

I'd probably put Pippen at 3 behind Olajuwon and Robinson, and I feel like most people would say that even I overrate him. No way in hell does 94 Pippen go above absolute peak Olajuwon, I'm not even sure peak Jordan was better than 94 Olajuwon(it's definitely close), but everyone has their own opinions.

If you really feel that Scottie Pippen has a case over absolute peak Olajuwon, share it, don't just bow out.
    I wouldn't pick Pippen over Olajuwon. But I do feel he deserved the MVP had the Bulls finished with the best record or top two. Which is more than feasible.

Why? Because Pippen meant so much more to the Bulls. The centers you listed, basically have the normal job of a center. Score in the post, and protect the paint. Rebounding is a given seeing as how centers stay close to the basket. And granted these centers were their teams main scorer.

Saying that, they still didn't have to do what Pippen did on a nightly basis in 94 and especially 95. Pippen had to be his teams best scorer, passer, defender, run the offense, anchor the defense, be their best man defender, help in the post, full court press. All at a high level.

None of the players you mentioned had to have so many responsibilites and do them all at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I was born in 1992, so I can't speak on this the way you guys can, but, assuming MJ did help Pippen, then it may have been because Pippen always had the talent to be a HOFer, but needed help "unlocking" it, per se, so MJ didn't really "make" Pippen so much as helped push him towards reaching his potential. I'm assuming the other guys didn't have anywhere near Pippen's potential. This is just a speculation BTW.
    But some of these guys are trying to create the illusion that Pippen didn't have the talent and any talent he did have was due to Jordan. Whose to say he doesn't go to seattle and team up with payton and dominate? [HTML][PHP][/PHP][/HTML]

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I wouldn't pick Pippen over Olajuwon. But I do feel he deserved the MVP had the Bulls finished with the best record or top two. Which is more than feasible.

Why? Because Pippen meant so much more to the Bulls. The centers you listed, basically have the normal job of a center. Score in the post, and protect the paint. Rebounding is a given seeing as how centers stay close to the basket. And granted these centers were their teams main scorer.

Saying that, they still didn't have to do what Pippen did on a nightly basis in 94 and especially 95. Pippen had to be his teams best scorer, passer, defender, run the offense, anchor the defense, be their best man defender, help in the post, full court press. All at a high level.

None of the players you mentioned had to have so many responsibilites and do them all at a high level.
    Pippen was more well rounded than any of the players I listed, but being more well rounded isn't the same thing as being better, it just means having less weaknesses.

I can probably see an argument for Pippen over Robinson, despite Robinson being the clearly better player just because of the playoffs. I don't agree with that argument, but I can see it. I can't however, see the argument for Pippen over Olajuwon.

Also, the Rockets relied more on Olajuwon than the Bulls did on Pippen. Pippen did more individual things for his team, but the Rockets entire offensive game plan was based on Olajuwon, without him they would have fallen flat on their face.

How would you rate the top five players that year(not MVP)?

Shawn Kemp

Scottie Pippen. People base stuff off of one year but then say Gary Payton is overrated when he led the Sonics to 6 years in a row of 55+ wins. Imagine just using Tmac's 2008 season, Iverson's 2001 all the time?

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

If you really feel that Scottie Pippen has a case over absolute peak Olajuwon, share it, don't just bow out.
    Not quite sure what the issue is when the term "arguably" was used.
    Here, this guy goes onto explain it pretty well (though I still think Pip was arguably the best player in '94).

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

Tell me what was expected of that Bulls team when Jordan left in '94?

Tell me what was expected of that Rockets team in '94?

Ask yourself, did you realize how good Scottie Pippen was w/ out Mike prior to that season?

We also know Hakeem was great but did we really know how great Hakeem really was prior to winning back to back titles?

Scottie took role players built around MJ (as he was also considered a role player coming into his own at the time) and led them to a 55 win season that no one expected him to do.

He showed how GREAT of an all around player he truly was cause he was the very definition of a one man show that year.

And as stated, no need to debate or even argue about it, I know what I saw and I saw Pippen show he was a great player and while the media was searching for a "new MJ" at the time, they didn't realize they had him right under their nose in Pippen the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    Scottie Pippen. People base stuff off of one year but then say Gary Payton is overrated when he led the Sonics to 6 years in a row of 55+ wins. Imagine just using Tmac's 2008 season, Iverson's 2001 all the time?
    This isn't true. Numerous times I've as well as others posted many different instances of Pippens greatness outside of those two seasons

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Noone from the 90s is more overrated than Shawn Kemp, a B grade Amare Stoudemire

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    Not quite sure what the issue is when the term "arguably" was used.
    There was no issue, I just wanted you to explain "why".

Where do you rate Hakeem's peak all time?

Pippen was more well rounded than any of the players I listed, but being more well rounded isn't the same thing as being better, it just means having less weaknesses.

I can probably see an argument for Pippen over Robinson, despite Robinson being the clearly better player just because of the playoffs. I don't agree with that argument, but I can see it. I can't however, see the argument for Pippen over Olajuwon.

Also, the Rockets relied more on Olajuwon than the Bulls did on Pippen. Pippen did more individual things for his team, but the Rockets entire offensive game plan was based on Olajuwon, without him they would have fallen flat on their face.

How would you rate the top five players that year(not MVP)?
    Id pick him over everyone except Olajuwon.

You say Olajuwon was the Rockets offense, well so was Pippen for the Bulls. You take away the two and pit the teams against each other, the Rockets would win.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Noone from the 90s is more overrated than Shawn Kemp, a B grade Amare Stoudemire

I don't exactly see Kemp being praised non-stop here and I don't know a single person who mentions him today. I doubt anyone under the age of 25 remembers seeing Kemp play at his peak.

As for him being compared to Amare, Kemp is basically Amare with about 5 fewer points and much better defense.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    I don't exactly see Kemp being praised non-stop here and I don't know a single person who mentions him today. I doubt anyone under the age of 25 remembers seeing Kemp play at his peak.

As for him being compared to Amare, Kemp is basically Amare with about 5 fewer points and much better defense.
    NewYorkNoPicks might be right. Kemp's not brought up every single day here, and many may not have seen him play at his peak, but I have noticed an uptick in the regard for his overall game as time has worn on.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

There was no issue, I just wanted you to explain "why".

Where do you rate Hakeem's peak all time?
    Can't lie, that would take a whole lotta thought and honestly I don't wanna derail this thread talking about Hakeem's peak BUT I will say this:

During Hakeem Olajuwon's run, I absolutely thought the guy was gonna make EVERY SINGLE SHOT HE TOOK, and I also thought that he had been the most dominating player since Jordan (at that time).

The guy was positively unguardable and unstoppable BUT ALSO I truthfully remember him having HUGE PROBLEMS w/ that 90's Sonics team, they gave the Rockets fits and were bad news for Houston and had they matched up w/ the Sonics during that back to back run we wouldn't be talking about Hakeem as a legend but as an underrated player.

NBA rookie of the year

So 97 Bulls has now said that Pippen is equal to or better than Magic, Bird, 2nd-4th year Shaq, prime Malone, and neck and neck with peak Hakeem. Dude is a lunatic.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 09-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    So 97 Bulls has now said that Pippen is equal to or better than Magic, Bird, 2nd/3rd year Shaq, prime Malone, and neck and neck with peak Hakeem. Dude is a lunatic.
    Jordan played with somebody that surpasses Peak Olajuwon.