Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laker Horror Show

We're gonna be in it deep all year sorry to say.

Byron Scott wants to run an offense with very few 3 point shots, and it's not an offense like the triangle but instead just a mix of plays put together with the goal of getting a few different players the ball in specific 1on1 mid range situations.
    In todays basketball you cannot say "we don't want to shoot 3's" and be successful, the reason for this is that it's not really about shooting 3's but the instead the lanes that become available from the fear of 3's.

The bench has potential if Davis and Randle can become consistent along with Young and Lin. But our starting 5 will get smoked vs most teams.
    Isolations are for Kobe, and they mostly end in mid-range shots. Pickn'rolls are always 3-2 because neither Boozer or Hill can go outside and Hill is not a natural scorer in any way. So that means that on pickn'rolls one of them is not really a threat. Boozer can only shoot mid-range, he gets stuffed at the rim over and over again. Those two are truly one of the worst starting 4-5 combination in the league.
    Wesley Johnson will suffer from this perhaps worse than anyone else, he completely relies on ball movement, lanes and open corner 3s. I like him for this but in this offense he will not have a chance.

The other night I watched the Knicks right after, it wasn't pretty but you can see there is a plan in place. I saw a closeup of Fisher and Cleamons on the bench, saw Phils face in my head as well and thought "Jim, what have you done!?".

If anyone has anything positive to mention about this Laker team I'd like to hear it, I'm really down on this team vs an 82game NBA season.

Default Re: Laker Horror Show

we're in for a high draft pick? oh wait...nm

Laker fans are the only ones I see overreacting from the preseason.

82 games boys. Some teams like to have conditioning early so they get off to slow season start and especially preseason starts with tired legs. Give it some time before you just give up.

Serious question ... why are the Lakers going after fired coaches the Cavs used during what is practically the worst 4 year stretch in Cavs history...

Mike Brown, Byron Scott? Are you guys serious?

Byron Scott wants to go against recent history and try for a mid-range offense.

Sorry, layups/corner threes are the wave of the future for a reason. They're the most bang for your buck.

The reason he doesnt want to shoot 3s is because the team cant get be a good transition defense team and the 3s will lead to run outs. Its his only real option with the players he has.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Serious question ... why are the Lakers going after fired coaches the Cavs used during what is practically the worst 4 year stretch in Cavs history...

Mike Brown, Byron Scott? Are you guys serious?
    It literally makes no sense.

I can't believe Derek Fisher is not a first year coach with the Lakers, oh Jim what on earth have you done

Decent college freshman

Byron Scott's one of the worst coaches in the league so I'd expect the worst if I was a Laker fan. He's one of those antiquated relics from the 90s that still thinks mid-range iso-ball is the way to build a championship team. Coaches like him and Lionel Hollins refuse to adapt with the times. Grizzlies built a pretty good team during Hollin's reign but his stubbornness with regard to 3 pointers pretty much meant Memphis was never destined to be anything more than second round fodder. Grizzlies are better off with Joerger(a young coach that embraces advanced stats). Lakers have no future as long as they keep hiring morons like Scott.

Very good NBA starter

This team barely has any players that could hit water in the middle of the ocean. Maybe limiting 3's might not be such a bad idea

Definitely not a reasonable strategy in today's league. If you don't have players who can hit the shot, get them.

Midrange shots are fine and useful if the defense is leaving them completely open and you have guys who can hit them at a respectable rate. Keep the D honest. If they're you're bread and butter, you're definitely ****ed.

I don't think we were going to be in the running for a playoff spot anyway (West is too stacked), but this could easily be an ugly season.

That's just as a Lakers fan though. As a fan of the sport, it'll definitely be interesting to see how an offense eschewing the three performs in the modern game.

Everyone is overreacting tbh. It's literally preseason right now, he's trying stuff out to see if it works better. This team literally chucked 3's all year last year and it didn't work. I highly doubt that he's disregarding the 3-pointer completely, we all know how Kobe loves that fade-away three

Lakers don't have great 3-point shooters.

You know what you get when you combine poor defense and poor 3-point shooting? A lot of easy transition buckets.

Looking at this Lakers roster, they simply aren't great at anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Lakers don't have great 3-point shooters.

You know what you get when you combine poor defense and poor 3-point shooting? A lot of easy transition buckets.

Looking at this Lakers roster, they simply aren't great at anything.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they ran Princeton all year. That would help them stay a bit more competitive at least.

Banned

Lakers are gonna be pretty mediocre to bad. However we can't know what they are going to actually look like until a dozen games have actually been played. Right now they are conserving players too much. Also, they are playing way too many scrubs that won't be getting minutes if playing at all. Regular season rotation isn't even being flirted with yet.

Regardless of team strategy the 3s are gonna start falling as soon as the regular rotation starts being utilized. Kobe always uses 3s in bailouts. Nash if able to regularly play has shot a high percentage 3. It's unlikely that he would stop using it now. Clarkson as well seems to have a quick trigger from the arc.

With so many scrubs playing, you get players that are trying to immediately please the coach. During regular season players like Nash and Kobe will take liberties with what they see as a necessity. Not much that Byron will be able to do then about that.
    Last edited by ZeN; 10-14-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    During regular season players like Nash and Kobe will take liberties with what they see as a necessity. Not much that Byron will be able to do then about that.
    umm, take them out and bench them?