Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Default Re: Lin agrees to terms with the Houston Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    You realize a player's worth can be determined by more than just his play, right?
    Unless I'm getting a check then no it can't.

Why all of a sudden do basketball fans care about marketability? Since when did marketing win a game?

People are continually moving the goal post. Any other time we want guys for what they can do on the floor. Now, when it is plain as day that the standard of play will NOT meet the value of the contract we want to include off the floor considerations to justify making the deal.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King

Why all of a sudden do basketball fans care about marketability? Since when did marketing win a game?

People are continually moving the goal post. Any other time we want guys for what they can do on the floor. Now, when it is plain as day that the standard of play will NOT meet the value of the contract we want to include off the floor considerations to justify making the deal.
    [COLOR="Red"]I'm just glad the knicks had a player that moved the meter and there was a positive buzz around.[/COLOR]

NBA rookie of the year

So unless Da KO King is getting cash considerations from the Knicks, player marketability has no impact on contracts?

I'm sorry, who are you?

So unless Da KO King is getting cash considerations from the Knicks, player marketability has no impact on contracts?

I'm sorry, who are you?
    Someone watching games, wanting the team to WIN.

I'll ask you this, if the team being profitable/marketable mattered to you then why have you along with the rest of us been so disappointed in the on-court performance of the team over the years?

NBA rookie of the year

Someone watching games, wanting the team to WIN.

I'll ask you this, if the team being profitable/marketable mattered to you then why have you along with the rest of us been so disappointed in the on-court performance of the team over the years?
    I don't see how that at all impacts the realities of NBA contracts. You or I don't have any say in what players get paid. Kobe Bryant makes a fortune in part because of how many jerseys he sells for the Lakers. But I don't see a dime of that money. I was never even consulted!
    Last edited by Scoooter; 07-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.

I don't see how that at all impacts the realities of NBA contracts. You or I don't have any say in what players get paid. Kobe Bryant makes a fortune in part because of how many jerseys he sells for the Lakers. But I don't see a dime of that money. I was never even consulted!
    Kobe Bryant is also a top 10 player in the entire league and unquestionably top 2 at his position.

For weeks now I've listened to people complain about the Knicks potentially (now reality) not matching the contract of an over-rated player that was about to become over-paid.

Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money. We have a good PG in Felton I loved him here. Kidd, especially. Knicks fans don't be mad at the owner, be happy we came across such excitement and it ended. It's NY, who knows what happens next. My biggest disappointment wasn't resigning Lin but letting Jared Jeffries go. Guy played with full ****ing heart and we ditch him, again..

I rule the local playground

Unhappy Re: Lin agrees to terms with the Houston Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money.
    Money that Dolan has. He's not wrong for going for the money, dude is finally really getting paid. He probably wouldn't have minded staying in NY, but I think he felt he also didn't really fit there any more either. Landry already left, he wouldn't have had that many buddies left in the locker room other than Novak and Chandler, and he probably didn't get along that well with Melo and JR Shit. Also, I don't think he would've developed that well under Woodson, whose offensive schemes have been limited in the past to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money. We have a good PG in Felton I loved him here. Kidd, especially. Knicks fans don't be mad at the owner, be happy we came across such excitement and it ended. It's NY, who knows what happens next. My biggest disappointment wasn't resigning Lin but letting Jared Jeffries go. Guy played with full ****ing heart and we ditch him, again..

That's funny.

I wouldn't be too worried though if he gets cut from the Mavs like I heard he would he'll be back with the Knicks by January. Book it.

There's a reason he keeps getting cut by other teams.

NBA rookie of the year

Kobe Bryant is also a top 10 player in the entire league and unquestionably top 2 at his position.
    So your contention is that Kobe's ablity to sell shoes and jerseys in no way impacts the deals he gets.

For weeks now I've listened to people complain about the Knicks potentially (now reality) not matching the contract of an over-rated player that was about to become over-paid.
    The Knicks do that all the time though.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114

That's funny.

I wouldn't be too worried though if he gets cut from the Mavs like I heard he would he'll be back with the Knicks by January. Book it.

There's a reason he keeps getting cut by other teams.
    I think he's only been "cut" (really, bought out) the once.

jeffries has to wait a few months before coming back to us

but most likely i see him joining us for the playoff run

So your contention is that Kobe's ablity to sell shoes and jerseys in no way impacts the deals he gets.
    I'm saying that UNLIKE Jerremy Lin the marketability does not far overshadow what you will get on th court over a season. Bryant is a top 10 overall player and his salary matche that status. Lin is not even top 10 at his position but will paid a salary that should go to a top 20 overall player.

The Knicks do that all the time though.
    And we've complained and been down about it EVERY time. Why was this time different? As a fanbase we have NEVER been fine with purely marketing moves so why was it accetable this time?

i can see lin clashing in houston who have a majority of new young players who will be looking for their own

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    i can see lin clashing in houston who have a majority of new young players who will be looking for their own
    In all seriousness, I hope McHale doesn't ruin him. He's already clashed with Lowry, Dragic and Martin. Far from a player's coach.

I'm saying that UNLIKE Jerremy Lin the marketability does not far overshadow what you will get on th court over a season. Bryant is a top 10 overall player and his salary matche that status. Lin is not even top 10 at his position but will paid a salary that should go to a top 20 overall player.
    Darren Rovell, ESPN's business insider, gave an interesting perspective on Lin's impact on business. He says Lin's marketability is obvious noteworthy but it is greatly exaggerated. He says the money we make off of Merchandise for Lin wouldnt pay for 2 weeks of his salary. People forget, Merchandise outside of what is sold on the Knicks website and in the arena, gets divided among all 30 teams.

Lin's biggest contribution financially was the expiditing of the Time Warner deal. THAT was his hugest impact off court.

Ticket Sales are unaffected. The most money is made off of season tickets and those have ALWAYS sold out.

The stock numbers don't really affect Dolan. Besides, they're determined by the Knicks winning moreso than any 1 player.

Remember, even before Melo got here, the Knicks were back and forth with LA for the most valuable NBA franshise in the league. They still are.