Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star barbaroi's Avatar

Default Re: No triple-double for LeBron in NY: NBA rescinds that 10th rebound

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    They just showed the play again on NBA Shootaround and it was FAR from a 'shovel pass' by Wallace. Ben tipped the ball twice with one hand as a defender drew near and LeBron grabbed the ball after the second tip. I don't know what exactly the rule is on tipping a rebound and actually securing possession, but there is no doubt that Ben HAD NOT gained possession on that rebound and it may have gone out-of-bounds had LeBron not grabbed it after the second tip.

I had not really taken a close look at that play until after this announcement, but after seeing it several times minutes ago, I'm amazed that the league took the rebound away.

It should be noted that Legler and Avery Johnson both mocked the league for doing what it did.
    Dunno about that: The contested rebound. Seems like a pretty clear hand off from Wallace to Lebron to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Plus, he got 0 offensive boards so he didn't even end up adding any possessions for his team with those rebounds.
    You don't add any possessions for your team with a defensive rebound ? Hmm ...

All this talk about LeBron's rebounding is ridiculous. I guess the ball just happens to bounce his way 7 times a game. He must be the luckiest small forward in the league, since the vast majority of the other SFs don't even average 6 a game. And even if your teammates can come up with it, if you're in good position, you don't think twice about it and you grab that motherf*cking rebound. The sooner you get the board the better. Seriously do you play basketball ?

College star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    That's not what happened, though. He didn't "tap the ball". Wallace tapped the ball himself several times and had it under control. Then when the defender pressured him, he shovel passed it to LeBron.
    Wallace did tap it twice but from the angle that I've seen, he clearly didn't have full posession of the ball. He basically tapped it twice in the air and then did a third tap (not an actual hand off) towards Lebron (lebron gets full control of it after that).

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    I never attempt to unfairly criticize Lebron. My main criticism has in the past been his playoff performances, which I reinforce with statistics and observations. I have always maintained that he is no worse than second best and that it is too close to call for the title of "best player in the league". I never said he was not effective, though I do admit his game and skills are not pleasing to my tastes.

I praise him when he does well in game threads and criticize the glaring weaknesses in his game. I certainly don't have this "defend Lebron at all costs" attitude like you and IG.
    Are you f#cking kidding me? I call LeBron out for his bad games when they occur and I also have serious problems with his shot selection at times. I've also been a big critic of his free throw shooting throughout the years, although to a lesser extent this year since he has improved that area of his game.

I also absolutely slammed LeBron for discussing possible moves in 2010 during the season.

If you think that I defend LeBron at all costs, you haven't read many of my posts.

I've never seen you, on the other hand, miss an opportunity to take a position opposite LeBron on every topic. Saying 'good game' in a game thread (if you indeed did it, which I didn't see) does not cancel out five paragraph arguments against LeBron, which you have been doing for years.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barbaroi
    Dunno about that: The contested rebound. Seems like a pretty clear hand off from Wallace to Lebron to me.
    So... you are maintaining that Wallace had full possession of the ball? I don't know how anyone could watch that play and come to that conclusion. He tapped it twice with one hand and LeBron grabbed it after the second tap. Is that not what happened? A handoff? Really?

Local High School Star barbaroi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    So... you are maintaining that Wallace had full possession of the ball? I don't know how anyone could watch that play and come to that conclusion. He tapped it twice with one hand and LeBron grabbed it after the second tap. Is that not what happened? A handoff? Really?
    Chill man lol. I'm just going by that angle. Another angle may tell a different story, but from that angle it does look like that was wallace's board.
    Last edited by barbaroi; 02-06-2009 at 08:51 PM.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    You don't add any possessions for your team with a defensive rebound ? Hmm ...

All this talk about LeBron's rebounding is ridiculous. I guess the ball just happens to bounce his way 7 times a game. He must be the luckiest small forward in the league, since the vast majority of the other SFs don't even average 6 a game. And even if your teammates can come up with it, if you're in good position, you don't think twice about it and you grab that motherf*cking rebound. The sooner you get the board the better. Seriously do you play basketball ?
    Kobe dropped 2 triple doubles a week after Lebron and Paul had theirs. This was not a coincidence, he hung around the basket more and racked up a lot of defensive boards. If you linger around the basket enough you'll have plenty of opportunities to collect boards as the other team is already heading back on D. Very easy to add about 3-4 rebounds to your total this way. Kobe, Paul and Lebron have all done this, especially on nights when you just know they are looking for a triple double.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by barbaroi
    Chill man lol. I'm just going by that angle. Another angle may tell a different story, but from that angle it does look like that was wallace's board.

They need to show a video of that play from the inner baseline camera view. IMO, Wallace never had full possession of that ball..he basically did a double tap before he stepped out towards Lebron and Lebron got control of it.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

A tap is a rebound.

kkling
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

So, Wallace had 1 rebound that game... He tapped the ball out at least two times and wasn't credited for the rebounds. What's the difference?

College star

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    A tap is a rebound.
    to who? The tapper or the guy that gets the ball? I just did a little detective work to prove my point that the guy doing the tapping doesn't get credit for the rebound (the tapper technically doesn't have full possession) but the guy that gathers the ball and has full possession does.

I mentioned a few posts back that I've seen this happen numeround times with Chandler (tapping) and Cp3 (gathering and getting credit for the board) so here goes some evidence.

Hornets vs. Mavericks Game 5 Playoffs 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOd9SfUPtVk

^^Look @ the video above from 1:14-1:19 (the score is NO 97 to 94 Dallas)

CP3 misses the jumper and Chandler taps it back out and the ball goes to CP3. CP3 gets credit for an offensive rebound on this play...

Now here goes the actual play by play to confirm this...

Dallas vs. New Orleans - Play By Play - April 29, 2008 - ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playby...meId=280429003

^^scroll down all the way to 0:08

0:33 New Orleans 20 Sec. timeout

0:08 94-97 Chris Paul misses 17-foot jumper
    0:07 94-97 Chris Paul offensive rebound
    0:05 Dirk Nowitzki personal foul (Peja Stojakovic draws the foul) 94-97

^^as you can see, Chandlers tap out to CP3 resulted in CP3 getting an offensive rebound, not Chandler!
    Last edited by Diesel J; 02-06-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel J
    They need to show a video of that play from the inner baseline camera view. IMO, Wallace never had full possession of that ball..he basically did a double tap before he stepped out towards Lebron and Lebron got control of it.
    yea id like to see that.

from that view its too hard to tell, but it looks like it should of been wallaces board. im sure the baseline view would be closer and more conclusive.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    I don't know, last time I checked, the guy who did the tapping out got credit. But I just watched that Cavs-Knicks game and Ben Wallace did that twice and Mo Williams and Wally got credit for the rebounds

See my from above that I just made. Solid proof..

Good college starter

Default Re: "No triple-double for LeBron"

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    I strongly disagree. Any idiot will be able to tell you that a triple double highly transcends a 52-10-9 performance. It's not even close. Even Ricky Davis would be able to tell you that. Don't feign ignorance with us young man.
    Ur stupid, it doesn't matter what stats u have, if u have 40 rebounds and lose it means nothing. I matters how u impact the game and obviously Kobe had a bigger impact, no one can stop him and they got destroyed. Bron Bron deffered to his teammates with the 10 assist because he knew he couldn't win by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel J
    See my from above that I just made. Solid proof..
    Yeah that's weird. I'm pretty sure I've seen guys do it and get credit for the rebound ... Ben Wallace does that a lot.

I'm 100% sure it works that way for steals though. It's weird it doesn't for rebounds.