Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Default A few things I saw in the Bucks game today + the future

As it says, I was watching the Bucks game today and came away fairly impressed with a few players out on the court. I didn't think it was as bad of an overall showing of the skill and talent they have left than what people would have though of them. I thought they played up to par and reasonably well, just the Bucks were also playing well, shooting at nearly 50% from the floor and hitting the FT's. The one big area they need to improve on as a whole is in the pain, where they conceded a whopping 50 points. That just says that there isn't any interior defense at all.

Anyway, I was quite impressed to find out that Darko (one of my favourite players, don't even ask why because I have no clue) was going for his third consecutive double-double (which he, by the way, got). Anyway, I was seeing a lot coming from him. He seems to have gone away from his mid-range game that he started his career off with, and gone more inside. Showed a variety of different hooks with both his left and right hand and converted them at a fairly good rate. I thought he was very impressive in the game tonight - which included two blocks as well.

The other player I was impressed with a lot was Kyle Lowry. I didn't realise how good of a floor leader he could actually be when he set his mind do it. I mean, he was the one getting Miller open 90% of the time (who was absolute on fire, by the way) and he's as smart as a young PG could be. Was impressed that he looked for others shots more than he looked for his own, which is definitely something Memphis could build around for the future.

It's obvious this team is going to be built around Gay, but I think adding someone to blog the lane and someone who's athletic and can score at a high rate inside (Maybe Elton Brand? who knows) would do this team wonders. I don't know the reason they weren't winning with Pau, maybe it's the system they're running, but this team definitely has the talent to be good team with a good to great PF.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, on the game/on the Grizzlies future?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: A few things I saw in the Bucks game today + the future

I didn't see the game, so I'll just make a few general comments on the future and some responses to your points made.

Quote:
The one big area they need to improve on as a whole is in the pain, where they conceded a whopping 50 points. That just says that there isn't any interior defense at all.
I knew this would be a problem straight away. Darko, Collins and Kwame should provide some defensive presence, altering shots every now and then, but in the world of reality none of them can lock down any opposing player. This, along with our inability to score inside, is our biggest problem. This offseason, we should be looking to be adding a PF or C that can score and offer some inside D.

Quote:
He seems to have gone away from his mid-range game that he started his career off with, and gone more inside. Showed a variety of different hooks with both his left and right hand and converted them at a fairly good rate.
I've become a fan of that left hook of his. Something about it that just draws me in. The only problem is, he needs to become more consistent when playing, right now though, he seems to be pretty consistent with 3 straight double doubles, but how long can that last? My guess would be, not very long. If Darko could become more consistent then he would be more of a threat. I'm not saying he has to go and score 20ppg, but if he can slightly improve his numbers and do it on a regular basis then he would become a bigger threat downlow than he is now.

Quote:
The other player I was impressed with a lot was Kyle Lowry. I didn't realise how good of a floor leader he could actually be when he set his mind do it. I mean, he was the one getting Miller open 90% of the time (who was absolute on fire, by the way) and he's as smart as a young PG could be. Was impressed that he looked for others shots more than he looked for his own, which is definitely something Memphis could build around for the future.
From what I've seen of Lowry didn't seem to be that great, he use to just stand around on the perimeter passing the ball between Gay and who ever else was in as the other guard (Miller, Navarro et cetera). He didn't seem to try and get the ball to Pau, Darko and even Swift. Which I seen as a big problem. But hopefully that changes because this team can't afford ball hoggers right now.

Adding some inside presence should Memphis' biggest goal during the offseason. Right now we don't have much, if any and adding a guy like Brand would be great to this team. But right now, Ivaroni shoud be trying to find out which system this team works best in. I don't think he should pushing the run and gun this hard, breaking every now and then is great, because this team can run the break quite well, but we can't rely our enitre offense onto the break, we need other options. Ivaroni should start implementing some half court sets and see how they work out. Obviously we can't use our big guys that often, because they suck, but they are all big guys and could create some great screens for our guards to use and get open with. I'm sure a coach like Ivaroni could draw up a simple play involving our bigs setting screens for our gaurds to get open looks, especailly when you have Gay who is shooting 47%
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
jailer
MillionDollarException

Default Re: A few things I saw in the Bucks game today + the future

I expect amny more games like this one. The grizz are up and then they get shut out the last few minutes. Then they lose.I would be surprised if they win twenty games.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: