Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 293637383940414249 ... LastLast
    Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

I'm at 40%, just running through the missions mostly.
    Did 2 heists so far, very fun.
    My impression? Disappointed a bit.

First off, it feels so damn short. I mean 69 missions only?! I did 42 of them already and I feel like I didn't even scratch the surface. The missions overall aren't overly deep at all. The heists are too structured, it really doesn't offer you freedom at all. You simply select amongst the pre-set options and do the heists. The city overall feels alive but there is a limited access. Most of the buildings you have no access to.

The story itself is a disappointment, I just expected more. Both in terms of length and dialogue. After about 7-8 hours, the story just becomes a mess. It's just random encounters and missions and I don't see how it's connected. I mean I did 42 of the 69 missions already and I'm honestly shocked. San Andreas might not be as big but it certainly was more fun for me and felt a lot longer. I was compelled to finish the story but in GTA V, I don't even understand the point of the story. It's just a mesh of 3 characters doing missions for their contacts. The gameplay itself is obviously the best out of all the GTA games and graphic wise it blows them out of the water. Far better than GTA 4, but that doesn't say much. I didn't like GTA 4 much and thought it was by far the worst of the series up to that point. Right now, GTA V is #2 behind San Andreas but I really hope after I finish the story it will change my opinion. I haven't free roamed much at all, I'll do that once I finish all the story missions and then explore the city.

In terms of being a sand box game, it is definitely the best GTA to date by a significant margin but in terms of the story; I don't think it's better than San Andreas (yet). It really irritates me how short it is though. 5 years in the making and Rockstar only created 69 missions?! I've done only 2 heists so far...so what? In total there are like 3-4 heists?! Very disappointing since I really enjoyed the heists so far.

It is definitely a top 10 game I've ever played but it isn't as memorable to me as TLoU, Uncharted 2 or 3. The dialogue, characterization & story in TLoU was clearly superior...so I'll be shocked if GTA V wins GOTY. I know GTA online is what most are waiting for, but I am not an online player so I don't think I'll care or participate as much as others.

Overall, 95/100 I'd give it so far...I really hope it impresses me more as I progress through the remaining 27 missions.
    Last edited by rhythmic ; 09-20-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Banned

I'm only at 16% Just got done that mission with Trevor and Rod where you're flying that jet after sniping off those guys at the tower. I suck at flying and crashed about three times trying to land it

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    I just bought a car online...if it gets destroyed, will it reappear in the garage? 145k is a lot...lol
    Yeah I spent like 475k on that James Bond Aston Martin looking car. Then is disappeared. It wasn't in my garage or at the impound. So today I saved and quit. Went to Xbox dashboard and then when I loaded the game the car showed up at the impound. I think once you buy it the car is permanent.

GTA. The only game you can write multiple paragraphs of complaints, and say that you're hoping for more while still giving it a 95/100 rating.

I'm about 30 missions in, and I really like the Trevor-Michael storyline, a lot of layers to it and Trevor's funny as f*ck so any scene with him is entertaining. I'm hoping for Franklin to become more involved, seems like he doesn't really need to be there but R* felt obligated to put a black male in the game?

I did find the 69 missions small as well on first look, but I find myself burning so much time doing Strangers/Freaks missions and just driving and f*cking around since the driving mechanics are so smooth in this game that the length doesn't really bother me. I probably won't finish the story for a while, the missions usually get longer and more complex as you near the end.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    I skipped GTA V. I played the hell outta the first 2. I got bored with San Andreas maybe 30% of the way through. I never bought GTA IV. Now hearing about how great part 5 is and how much you guys are enjoying.....I don't know....I might just have to get it.
    Kind of in the same boat as you. I played a lot of I, little of II, about half of III, little of Vice City and San Andreas, and practically none of IV.

In order of time spent, probably:
    I, III, SA, II, VC, and then IV. With a large difference between I & III and the rest of the games. Probably more time spent on either I or III separately than the other 4 games combined.

So I haven't immersed myself in a GTA game since III. Perhaps the game has grown on me because it's been like decade since the release of III. All I know is that I find GTA amusing now. Things that I grew tired of quickly (getting from A to B, missions, hell, even killing) are more enjoyable.

The pace and freedom of the game has improved significantly. Some of the little quirks like accidently bumping into a car causes some to road rage you is pretty cool. I think in the past games if you killed someone or jacked a vehicle, the cops would automatically be on your ass. Not anymore. I don't know if any of that is new to the GTA franchise or not. Again, the last GTA I remember anything about is III.

Or it could just be my palate changing. I grew up on fighting, sports/wrestling, FPS, and racing in that order. Never liked Mario 64, or Zelda, or Final Fantasy. Would rather have played Street Fighter, International Superstar Soccer, No Mercy, 007, or Diddy Kong Racing. However, the last few years I have found myself spending a good amount of time on Mass Effect, Red Dead, and Skyrim. With a lot of 2K and NCAA because some things never change.

Anyway, the point of this rambling post is that you should give GTA V a shot if you have the money and time to appreciate the game. Maybe you'll find yourself liking the game now like I do.

btw, planes are a bitch to use. I'm on my 8th try on that side mission where you drop weapons with the meth guy. It's after you purchase the hangar. 6 of the 7 fails was because I keep crashing in a tree on my way back. Half the time is because I can't seem to land the plane lined up with the landing strip. Who surrounds a landing strip with trees and poles?

Played pretty much non-stop for 4 days now and have done 79%. Completed all the missions and random events.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Played pretty much non-stop for 4 days now and have done 79%. Completed all the missions and random events.
    That ****ing sucks...4 days and you're 4/5ths of the way through the entire game, not just story mode, but random encounters and all...It is pretty disappointing after all the hype. Don't bash me, of course the games fantastic, but the story mode really should of been longer. GTA 4 was long as hell, no way I could of finished it in a week.

I'm guessing all the work they put into the Online was at the expense of a longer campaign.

That ****ing sucks...4 days and you're 4/5ths of the way through the entire game, not just story mode, but random encounters and all...It is pretty disappointing after all the hype. Don't bash me, of course the games fantastic, but the story mode really should of been longer. GTA 4 was long as hell, no way I could of finished it in a week.
    Yea, I was kinda surprised too. I was hoping you'd still he able to pull some random heists after the ending. At the moment I'm just messing around with stocks trying to get enough cash to buy properties, but I'm not having much luck at that.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    I'm guessing all the work they put into the Online was at the expense of a longer campaign.
    Yea, I figured that may have been the case too.

Because GTA 4 padded the length with boring and pointless errand boy missions.

Also, it only seems short to some of you guys because you have been binging on it since it came out. I've played for 30 hours and I still have 10 main missions left. That's not short. And lets not forget about the online part that is supposed to be ridiculously vast and full of content.

Seriously, this game has more quality content than any other game I've played and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Because GTA 4 padded the length with boring and pointless errand boy missions.
    Some people hate gta4, I was one of the guys who loved it. But even if you think the missions in gta4 were pointless, that doesn't mean they would of been here on gta5. They could of gone more into owing that mafia guy 2.5million story line, instead of 1 heist getting you 4.5m (a bit unrealistic, no?), 1 heist could of been 700k or so. It would make the story much longer, and it would of kept it interesting.

Like I said, the game itself is amazing and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I really wish the story mode would of been longer.

If you are really at 79% why not go for 100%? Replay missions for the gold medal? That is what I plan on doing. Complete the game in its entirety. There are achievements for single player try to achieve them. There is always plenty to do in GTA games. There will never be a video game where it takes u months to complete, beat. Majority of games you can sit down and play thru and be done fast.

NBA Superstar

These last few posts got me thinking. I decided to give it a look myself. I've put in about 20 hours and have completed 24/60 missions. I'm definitely taking the circuitous route in terms of game completion. I feel I derive a lot more out of this game by experiencing everything - wandering, finding strangers, hiking a little bit, doing a mission here or there - it's pretty outstanding.

People can play how they want, but similar to Red Dead Redemption, if one just goes from mission to mission to mission, I believe they are kind of missing the point of the game in the first place.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    These last few posts got me thinking. I decided to give it a look myself. I've put in about 20 hours and have completed 24/60 missions. I'm definitely taking the circuitous route in terms of game completion. I feel I derive a lot more out of this game by experiencing everything - wandering, finding strangers, hiking a little bit, doing a mission here or there - it's pretty outstanding.

People can play how they want, but similar to Red Dead Redemption, if one just goes from mission to mission to mission, I believe they are kind of missing the point of the game in the first place.
    I've always beaten the story first before free-roaming.
    I got 100% on both San Andreas & RDR. That's just how I approach these type of games. GTA V is no different. I want to complete the story then explore the world when I got some dough in my bank accounts. Going to start doing all the side-missions, stranger missions etc. afterward while doing races & buying property/cars etc.

Basically I feel like once the jobs are done, you can have fun in the city as the king.

I think you're missing the point of these games...they are open world games for a reason, because you can approach them in any way that suits your interests.

I'm not at all impressed with the story however...25% of the missions are steal a tow truck or do yoga, just stupid. For such an ambitious game, you'd think the story would be far deeper.

Very disappointed.