Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: F Royce White, Rockets at odds with agreement to help with anxiety over flying

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    if they're just going to send him to D-League, why not just leave him in Houston during away games and just play him during home games? at least he gets to play 50% of the time as opposed to 0%
    What a great message to send to the rest of the team who's available for every game.. "Hey guys, Royce only has to play half of your games, he'll make 2 dollars when you're making 1.... Have a great 7 game road trip!"

Oh and there's nothing to suggest he would be playing even though he was on the roster as he hasn't really so far.

Default Re: F Royce White, Rockets at odds with agreement to help with anxiety over flying

I think it's obvious why Royce White wants to stay in the league. It's tough but it's a lot of money. He knows that it's his meal ticket if he can even just stay on an NBA roster. That being said, I think he needs to strongly consider his career choices. Money isn't everything, his mental health should be a top priority. As such, he shouldn't hold the franchise hostage. He should take some time to see if he can get to a point where he can handle that schedule and if he can't, well it's tough but he needs to walk away.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I think it's obvious why Royce White wants to stay in the league. It's tough but it's a lot of money. He knows that it's his meal ticket if he can even just stay on an NBA roster.
    Actually it seems like he doesn't care enough (obviously he should), or he makes it seem that way. He hasn't made many efforts to work on his game, hasn't seemed to reach out to his teammates, hell on his twitter he describes himself as "Humanitarian, Writer, Entrepreneur, Director and Imaginer. " No NBA player description...? Dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by shoops
    Actually it seems like he doesn't care enough (obviously he should), or he makes it seem that way. He hasn't made many efforts to work on his game, hasn't seemed to reach out to his teammates, hell on his twitter he describes himself as "Humanitarian, Writer, Entrepreneur, Director and Imaginer. " No NBA player description...? Dunno...
    Yeah that's true, didn't think of that. If I wanted to keep from getting fired from my job the very least i'd do is make an effort on my end to show them that i'm trying to meet them half way as much as possible.

Wtf...this isn't OCD unless it's talking about two separate disorders. The fear of flying is a phobia or at the very most Generalized Anxiety Disorder. However, it got me thinking...it would be crazy is someone who actually had OCD and had thoughts that led to compulsive three point shooting and couldn't stop until they had the "perfect" release. Hahaha...they would shoot the highest percentage ever...then again, they would be useless at everything else.

Back on Royce...either way, there is some highly effective therapy for all types of anxiety disorders as well as some mood stabilizers he could take. This is an instance of him either not trusting therapy, or simply not caring enough to try.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoops
    hell on his twitter he describes himself as "Humanitarian, Writer, Entrepreneur, Director and Imaginer. " No NBA player description...? Dunno...
    this is what scared me off during the draft way more than the anxiety stuff. look up the way he left Minnesota, dude made an art film out of it. look up the stuff about how he's more interested in being a music producer.

he plays basketball because he's good at it, not because he likes it. that's the biggest red flag there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Wtf...this isn't OCD unless it's talking about two separate disorders. The fear of flying is a phobia or at the very most Generalized Anxiety Disorder. However, it got me thinking...it would be crazy is someone who actually had OCD and had thoughts that led to compulsive three point shooting and couldn't stop until they had the "perfect" release. Hahaha...they would shoot the highest percentage ever...then again, they would be useless at everything else.
    It's funny how they use all of those terms interchangably. But "general anxiety disorder" was his diagnosis. Now OCD, PTSD, SAD, etc... are all branches off that same tree. According to him he has General Anxiety disorder along with Social Anxiety and "a little bit" of OCD type of symptoms. So for him it's more than just a flying phobia I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    It's funny how they use all of those terms interchangably. But "general anxiety disorder" was his diagnosis. Now OCD, PTSD, SAD, etc... are all branches off that same tree. According to him he has General Anxiety disorder along with Social Anxiety and "a little bit" of OCD type of symptoms. So for him it's more than just a flying phobia I think.
    Good to know. I feel bad for him since GAD is probably the hardest of all of them to "fix," but still...if he's compliant with his meds and does some type of outpatient therapy, he should be able to get this to a manageable level relatively quickly (meaning it could still take a year..at most 2 ).

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    this is what scared me off during the draft way more than the anxiety stuff. look up the way he left Minnesota, dude made an art film out of it. look up the stuff about how he's more interested in being a music producer.

he plays basketball because he's good at it, not because he likes it. that's the biggest red flag there is.
    I agree. Yeah, I only saw those things after he was drafted, pretty big red flags I guess. Of course it was kinda downplayed before draft day, but right now it seems like the whole situation won't end well, a lose lose situation...

Good to know. I feel bad for him since GAD is probably the hardest of all of them to "fix," but still...if he's compliant with his meds and does some type of outpatient therapy, he should be able to get this to a manageable level relatively quickly (meaning it could still take a year..at most 2 ).
    Yes it is. For someone with just a phobia, they know exactly what their triggers are and can just work on gradual exposure (or flooding in some cases) until they lose that fear completely. But for someone with GAD, there's a lot of triggers and overall more time and care is required in getting their overly sensitized nervous system down to it's normal functioning levels.

Banned

every team should have passed on this guy

with that MPC swing. Brokenbeat's Avatar

Back on Royce...either way, there is some highly effective therapy for all types of anxiety disorders as well as some mood stabilizers he could take. This is an instance of him either not trusting therapy, or simply not caring enough to try.
    Could call him...

*puts on sunglasses

Rain man

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

This guy better overcome his anxiety fast if he wants an NBA career. He's throwing something very big away. The Rockets drafted him, but they can continue without him. There are always replacements out there.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    This guy better overcome his anxiety fast if he wants an NBA career. He's throwing something very big away. The Rockets drafted him, but they can continue without him. There are always replacements out there.
    I think it's more than just his anxiety causing the problem. Possibly personality, immaturity, or other psychological issues, as his past seems to suggest. He seems to be burning the bridges faster than they can be built, his PR is just terrible with all those twitter wars, hasn't done a good job in showing he's serious about staying, hasn't had enough consideration for others/teammates. He is throwing a huge lifetime opportunity away.
    Last edited by shoops; 11-14-2012 at 06:29 AM.

You just described Judas Shuttlesworth