Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FireTV

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Default Re: FireTV

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    Stream it directly when you're not on the same network as your server?

It's my understanding that XBMC/Kodi cannot do that. It can only stream within the network. No?
    XBMC can stream remotely.

It's not as easy or user=friendly to set up as Plex, but it is doable.

Keep in mind, Plex came from XBMC. XBMC was the original media center for the X-Box back in the day. Plex broke away at some point and started their own thing. There is even a "PlexBMC"...which sort of combines the two.

As I said earlier though...unless you've got ridiculous upload speeds, don't even bother w/ trying to stream you're stuff when away from home.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

That's kind of the whole point of a server though. I have a media server with like 1500+ movies and 100+ TV shows here at home in LA that basically has 24/7 uptime.

Let's say I want to watch one of my TV shows while I'm traveling.

With Plex: I can stream remotely, no problem. Even if I don't have wifi access, I can lower the bitrate and stream over my cell's data.
    XBMC: Nope.

Let's say my aunt in Dallas wants to watch my 1080p bluray of The Hobbit.

Plex: I share my library with her and she can browse and stream any of my movies she'd like.
    Also do-able w/ XBMC/Kodi using a shared sql database. You can probably find all sorts of info on how this works on the XBMC community forums.

I'll just say this: good luck streaming outside of your local network with XBMC/Kodi or even thinking about transcoding.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    As I said earlier though...unless you've got ridiculous upload speeds, don't even bother w/ trying to stream you're stuff when away from home.
    I do it all the time with plex. I try to avoid streaming over data, because that's admittedly too slow, but when I have a wifi connection I can stream any of my media from my home server without problems.

I believe my upload speeds are around 10-15Mb. Not DSL-slow but certainly not the fastest.

That's kind of the whole point of a server though. I have a media server with like 1500+ movies and 100+ TV shows here at home in LA that basically has 24/7 uptime.

Let's say I want to watch one of my TV shows while I'm traveling.

With Plex: I can stream remotely, no problem. Even if I don't have wifi access, I can lower the bitrate and stream over my cell's data.

Let's say my aunt in Dallas wants to watch my 1080p bluray of The Hobbit.

Plex: I share my library with her and she can browse and stream any of my movies she'd like.
    Some people don't have that though. That's the point of streaming haha. But that's great for a private remote server. You should look into it. I'm watching 720p to 1080p movies instantly. I didn't get it to work before but now that it is working, I'm so happy.

Recently got live TV to work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Some people don't have that though. That's the point of streaming haha. But that's great for a private remote server. You should look into it. I'm watching 720p to 1080p movies instantly. I didn't get it to work before but now that it is working, I'm so happy.

Recently got live TV to work as well.
    I should look into what? I'm describing my current setup. Plex fits my media needs, XBMC doesn't.

I realize not everyone has media collections as large as mine, but there are plenty of people with some amount of movies/shows they've collected over the years. And they'd like to watch their media at home as well as away from home. Plex is better suited for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    I set up my Roku. Can watch Amazon Instant Video and Google Play on TV.

How do I watch it on my laptop or android? The Roku app just controls whats on the TV.
    Roku is a player, not a media source. Download the apps/programs for your sources.

I did download the Roku app and it's just a remote that controls the Roku player.

Can I watch my channels on roku.com on my android or laptop when I'm on the go?
    Depends on the channel. For instance, I believe netflix has apps you can download for android/windows/osx.

College superstar

Got Ooma device today. Activate my new home phone number, which I had so many choices to pick from. Must be the only one in town to have Ooma.

$3.85 a month for landline per Internet gonna awesome. My Time Warner phone number never worked anyway whenever the cable was down.

Im officially full cordcutter now.

ObiTalk & Google number >>>>>>> OoMa........No monthly payment.

Rezznor hit me up with some Roku private XXX channels.
    ill do it when i get off work