Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gold is the best investment

Why is gold valuable? It's only valuable because people perceive it as such, but it has no real world value because it has barely any real world application.

Look at the graph primetime posted:

Why step in now? It's idiocy. If there ever was a bubble: it's gold.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

When I was in my early to mid- 20's I thought of ways to invest.

At the time if I had what would of equated into 30-40k and had invested in gold , I would of seen a very nice profit at this time 30+ years later.

So the question I hav to all those young investors that think they can make a killing on money(gold)

DO YOU HAVE THE ASSETS TO INVEST AND WAIT 30+ YEARS ON YOUR RETURN

I didn't I needed to buy a home.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Why is gold valuable? It's only valuable because people perceive it as such, but it has no real world value because it has barely any real world application.
    It's valuable because it can retain its value in an inflationary environment and is easy to store. Look at where the major gold demand is coming from- China and India.. the countries with the high inflation and biggest population. So obviously they know what's up.. so do the central banks that are increasing their holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    It's valuable because it can retain its value in an inflationary environment and is easy to store. Look at where the major gold demand is coming from- China and India.. the countries with the high inflation and biggest population. So obviously they know what's up.. so do the central banks that are increasing their holdings.
    "It's valuable because it's valuable"

What?

completely false.
    gold is valuable for the simple fact that it is shiny, and it can be melted down to make other shiny things.

"It's valuable because it's valuable"

What?
    You know what currency is and why people use it? One of the reasons is store of value. Do I have to explain inflation to you and how it takes away purchasing power from consumers and savers?

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    completely false.
    gold is valuable for the simple fact that it is shiny, and it can be melted down to make other shiny things.
    Well the general market disagrees with you. Also a bunch of nations and central banks.

You know what currency is and why people use it? One of the reasons is store of value. Do I have to explain inflation to you and how it takes away purchasing power from consumers and savers?
    I do, but you don't seem to.

Currency is valuable only because it's institutionalized. It has no real value, it's essentially just a number in a computer The same goes for gold. It has value because people want it, not because people need it.

Oil has value because, you know, it's combustible (among other things). Gold is not like that. If people decide "Hey, f[COLOR="Black"]uck[/COLOR] gold. We are bored with gold", it suddenly has zero value. People don't need gold to do anything. Hence, no real value.

Well the general market disagrees with you. Also a bunch of nations and central banks.
    yah, but why did they originally want it?
    cause some people way back in the day thought i was shiny so they used it as currency and made statues and other stuff out of it.

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

i read the title as GOD is the best investment and expected an essay from LOJ

I do, but you don't seem to.

Currency is valuable only because it's institutionalized. It has no real value, it's essentially just a number in a computer The same goes for gold. It has value because people want it, not because people need it.

Oil has value because, you know, it's combustible (among other things). Gold is not like that. If people decide "Hey, f[COLOR="Black"]uck[/COLOR] gold. We are bored with gold", it suddenly has zero value. People don't need gold to do anything. Hence, no real value.
    So are you going to store a ton of oil barrels at your house? Food? You know food spoils... Stocks are tied to companies and fiat currencies are tied to nations. Gold is completely neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    yah, but why did they originally want it?
    cause some people way back in the day thought i was shiny so they used it as currency and made statues and other stuff out of it.
    Look at its metallic properties. It's the most stable metal we know of. They uncover ancient sunken ships with the gold completely intact. Store of value..

it would be stupid to buy gold at this point. because of how inflation is all accross the world gold has the most value rite now..and when the world economy gets better the price of gold will drop. So if you buy now to sell later your pretty much going to buy high and sell low.

3-time NBA All-Star

Random commentary from ISHiot >>>>>> general consensus of Wall Street and other major financial institutions

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Random commentary from ISHiot >>>>>> general consensus of Wall Street and other major financial institutions
    A bank Shot of gold