Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #136
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Default Re: Bill O'Reilly Doesn't Want Nas To Perform At V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
doesn't change the fact that he obviously wouldn't perform any violent songs or that shoot'em up is 10yrs old and he has songs like "Just a Moment (of silence)" featuring Quan who is also from Virginia or I Can, Dance, What Goes Around, Heaven, Thugs Mansion, he could easily put together over an hour set of non violent songs. Chorus to "Just a Moment"

Yep, terrible fit

How do you know what songs he will perform?

did you call him? Text him? email him?

no.

Oh so you don't know?

Hmm
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #137
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball

no.

Oh so you don't know?

Hmm

Because anyone with a brain in their head knows he's not stupid enough to play some songs that talk about shooting and murdering. Are you THAT stupid? You think he wouldn't see a potential problem with that?

Quote:
Maybe you should think for yourself and stop being so influenced by a artist.

I do have general knowledge.

I didn't even have sound on, I saw the lyrics being played on the screen.

I didn't even listen to bill talk

So how can you question my source. I wasn't fed garbage. I saw the lyrics with my own eyes.

ETC ETC.

The school shouldn't have even authorized him to play. They should have done some research. Bill did the clip to show everyone that NAS is a bad choice, its called reporting.

You're an idiot. Don't you think the families of people effected should be able to say whether they want Nas there or not? Because Bill O'reilly didn't lose anyone there, you didn't lose anyone there, so I don't see how you guys should have any say in whether Nas plays or not. Let the families decide.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #138
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Because anyone with a brain in their head knows he's not stupid enough to play some songs that talk about shooting and murdering. Are you THAT stupid? You think he wouldn't see a potential problem with that?{/QUOTE}
Yes I'm aware that Nas would prob. not choose a violent song, but stranger things have happened. Another thing to think about was the fact that the sick **** who did this was listening to music and was obsessed with it. So you know you need to make a good choice here.

{QUOTE}You're an idiot. Don't you think the families of people effected should be able to say whether they want Nas there or not? Because Bill O'reilly didn't lose anyone there, you didn't lose anyone there, so I don't see how you guys should have any say in whether Nas plays or not. Let the families decide.
Real smooth. Insulting someone online. Real smooth.

Anyway, the school shouldn't have chosen someone who is controversial like this. That should be a given, there should be nothing about "should he be allowed" stuff. Any performer that you have to ask if they're appropriate in most cases is not.

You want to make the family's make a public outcry? Wow how nice of you. So we trade some people being entertained for the chance of people being offended. Right. sounds good
Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #139
BradMiller52
Kings fan

So you're offended by this and the families should give a sh!t about that? Is that what you're saying? I'M saying that it should be their choice or not and the school should ask them or whatever. If they're fine with it then that's all that matters to me.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #140
jbot
Future D1 Dad

i wouldn't want to hear that crap either.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #141
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
So you're offended by this and the families should give a sh!t about that? Is that what you're saying? I'M saying that it should be their choice or not and the school should ask them or whatever. If they're fine with it then that's all that matters to me.
OMG how many times do I have to say it.

You're starting to annoy me. I've typed it numerous times......

ugh 1 last time.

The material that Nas has made is controversial, it has violence, guns and murder. Three things involved in the shooting. See the connection. Now Nas might not perform and of his "violent songs" but that isn't the issue. It's an issue how he has produced stuff like this and that makes him not an appropriate choice for this certain event.

Do you agree?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #142
BradMiller52
Kings fan

I'm starting to annoy you? That's funny because you started to annoy me a long time ago.

And no I don't agree. I feel that it should be the choice of the FAMILIES INVOLVED. If they want to listen to him sing at the concert are you really going to say "I don't think you should be able to listen to him"? If families/friends come out and say they're bothered, then fine. But as long as they're fine with it he should be allowed to perform.

The funny thing is though Nas can't win. If he writes gangsta songs than he's a horrible person etc. etc. but he shouldn't be allowed to do anything like this?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #143
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

no.

Oh so you don't know?

Hmm
because Nas has a brain. And furthermore, Shoot'em Up was never popular enough of a song to be part of a concert set anyways.

And you watched the clip, read the lyrics, and formed an opinion from that. That does equal you let Bill O'Reilly think for you.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #144
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Oh what fan base would that be?

The psycho school shooting niche?

Yeah man thats cool invite him right on over.

The kids these days love hearing 50 cent talk about guns, getting shot, etc. People like violent music or else eminem and 50 cent wouldn't sell (Hey aren't these two of the top selling rap artists ever). I quite frankly thought the psycho school shooting niche listened to rock, if you believe there is such niche.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #145
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
I quite frankly thought the psycho school shooting niche listened to rock, if you believe there is such niche.
They do. Even Cho, the VT shooter, was obsessed with a song called Shine by an alternative rock band Collective Soul and had the lyrics written on the wall of his dormitory at the time of the murders
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #146
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Anyway, the school shouldn't have chosen someone who is controversial like this.
The idea that there is an "uproar" over Nas performing here is wrong. You're claiming Nas is "controversial." He's not.

I've been at VTech for 2 full days now and if you think people are picketing this **** you're sadly mistaken... when I talk to people and the focus of the conversation shifts to anything close to this issue, nobody ever brings it up but me "hey did you hear about O'Reilly on Nas performing?" I invariably get no. Explain. They reply that wow, that hadn't even occured to them, what an idiot O'Reilly is.

And this is everyone who goes here... frat members, nerds, girls, guys, blacks, whites, asians, blue-collar conservatives, I wish I could say liberals but there aren't any here, etc. There is no uproar. There is no controversy. This is Bill O'Reilly preaching to the choir and seeking attention.

If anything Nas presence adds an extra dimension. The fact is there is violence in the world and Nas was raised in the midst of it. It's pretty easy to make carefree, uplifting music when you've never faced danger or violence in your life. Nas has, and here he is making 40% of his songs spiritual in nature, 40% wordplay exercises, and 20%, at most, even figuratively violent or deviant in nature.

Granted I realize 90% of people are too thick or devoid of soul to recognize that dimension. I'm simply stating that it's there. And my point still stands:

You know what's going to happen here? The concert is going to happen. Nas is going to perform. He's going to do fine. He's going to get cheered, maybe not as much as DMB or Mayer but cheered nonetheless. And nothing's going to happen. Nobody's going to leave upset. If anything O'Reilly is being disrespectful to the victims by using this situation, a situation of pure good, as something to be angry about for material for his show.

Nas doesn't trade in violence half as much as O'Reilly trades in hate.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 08-18-2007 at 10:45 PM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #147
RagingBull33
I pooped a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperboyXX0018
He made a mistake, he admitted it and made a pack not to do it again. God is not perfect, that is a lie.

It is clearly stated in the bible various times, that God is perfect and without flaws. You are the reason that Christians and religous people in general have bad reputations. Because it is written in the bible, do you think all homosexuals are going to hell, although God made them homosexual (because by reasoning, everyone is an image of God, so in turn, so are gay people)? Do you think all women should be looked down upon and thought of as inferior to men? I am a Catholic and I use the bible as stories to help better my life and help better the lives of others. You take everything by the book literally, without taking time to look for a deeper meaning or analyze what is written.

Also, at you spelling "pact" wrong.
RagingBull33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #148
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Here is a quote about VT that I really like:

"Certainly in this sensitized day and age, my own college writing would have raised red flags, and I'm certain someone would have tabbed me as mentally ill because of them. Cho doesn't strike me as in the least creative, however. Dude was crazy. Dude was, in the memorable phrasing of Nikki Giovanni, 'just mean.' Essentially there's no story here, except for a paranoid ******* who went DEFCON-1."
-Stephen King on the correlation between Cho Seung-Hui's writing and the VT massacre
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #149
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
The idea that there is an "uproar" over Nas performing here is wrong. You're claiming Nas is "controversial." He's not.

I've been at VTech for 2 full days now and if you think people are picketing this **** you're sadly mistaken... when I talk to people and the focus of the conversation shifts to anything close to this issue, nobody ever brings it up but me "hey did you hear about O'Reilly on Nas performing?" I invariably get no. Explain. They reply that wow, that hadn't even occured to them, what an idiot O'Reilly is.

And this is everyone who goes here... frat members, nerds, girls, guys, blacks, whites, asians, blue-collar conservatives, I wish I could say liberals but there aren't any here, etc. There is no uproar. There is no controversy. This is Bill O'Reilly preaching to the choir and seeking attention.

If anything Nas presence adds an extra dimension. The fact is there is violence in the world and Nas was raised in the midst of it. It's pretty easy to make carefree, uplifting music when you've never faced danger or violence in your life. Nas has, and here he is making 40% of his songs spiritual in nature, 40% wordplay exercises, and 20%, at most, even figuratively violent or deviant in nature.

Granted I realize 90% of people are too thick or devoid of soul to recognize that dimension. I'm simply stating that it's there. And my point still stands:

You know what's going to happen here? The concert is going to happen. Nas is going to perform. He's going to do fine. He's going to get cheered, maybe not as much as DMB or Mayer but cheered nonetheless. And nothing's going to happen. Nobody's going to leave upset. If anything O'Reilly is being disrespectful to the victims by using this situation, a situation of pure good, as something to be angry about for material for his show.

Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #150
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

That's what I'm saying. He's not going to do anything offensive like C-ball or O'reilly are saying he will. He's not going to cause any problems. He's going to do his thing and people are going to like it. O'Reilly is the one who is being offensive IMO. He's just using this as an opportunity to speak out against hip hop(I know he hates the music) and material for his show. If people who go to the school or the families were offended, they probably would've said so by now.

Nas is a much better person than O'reilly and it shows.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: