Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Da Mavs

Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

I really don't get some of the hate this kid is receiving. Especially when I see people bashing the way he looks or talks...seriously? The most important thing is that this guy wants to learn, how many students in regulars classes with BS teachers really show this kind of passion? I hope this video was seen by as many administrators and principals around the country...who knows maybe it turned some important heads.

Local High School Star

Does anyone here agree with me that the kid went over the line and he should be disciplined?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    I really don't get some of the hate this kid is receiving. Especially when I see people bashing the way he looks or talks...seriously? The most important thing is that this guy wants to learn, how many students in regulars classes with BS teachers really show this kind of passion? I hope this video was seen by as many administrators and principals around the country...who knows maybe it turned some important heads.
    We don't know that. He was expelled before and came back. No way we can make any concrete judgement from just a segment of what happened.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono90
    We don't know that. He was expelled before and came back. No way we can make any concrete judgement from just a segment of what happened.
    I'm sure there is more context to it. But from watching the video, the kid expresses discontent at learning from packets and from his teacher not getting up and teaching the class. I like that. Although, I agree that perhaps his manner of solving this wasn't the best but he's pretty young so not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I think he went to school in Texas, just like me. Unless he went to a real fancy private school there is no way his teachers made 80k a year.
    We have already established that PUBLIC SCHOOl teachers from all over the country can make over 80K a year. My mom is one of them, teaching 2nd grade in Port Jervis, NY (a pretty poor area) and making 81K this year.

high school teachers can be so awful. i love the fact that when i started college, my instructors were like, everything u learned in high school and below is wrong.

Da Mavs

My history professor in college was hilarious. Took as many shots as he could at high school curricula. He had this running gag where he referred to everyone's high school history teacher as "Coach Johnson"

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    I'm sure there is more context to it. But from watching the video, the kid expresses discontent at learning from packets and from his teacher not getting up and teaching the class. I like that. Although, I agree that perhaps his manner of solving this wasn't the best but he's pretty young so not surprising.
    The problem is we hear the kid vent but the teacher never got a chance to explain her side of her story. It's as if we saw a video of a teacher lecturing a kid with lots of passion, we would say she's a good teacher and kids are not into education these days.

Not saying you're wrong. But just saying there's lot more to the whole story and it's unfair to say the teacher is not enthusiastic about teaching without hearing her side of the story.
    Last edited by Chrono90; 05-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I completely feel where this kid is coming from. When I graduated back in 2010, while looking for a job in my field (engineering), I was able to network with a principal at a school who gave me a job as a tutor. He started me off at $21/hr and I worked 8 hours/day. I was helping out the math department and it really sucked.

One thing I can say, I hate standardized testing. I suppose it serves it purpose for kids that learn just to get by, but for those students that want to be challenged, it is really tough to get them engaged. I few of the students I tutored weren't idiots, math was just challenging to them, however, I made every effort to teach them things the correct way. Unfortunately in this school, they had this TI-89's that did the work for them, so most students would get their answers this way, but had no idea how the calculator arrived at this conclusion. I brought this up to the math department chair, telling her how stupid it was to teach kids to only use a calculator to get to the answer, but she got after me for trying to teach kids how to actually arrive at an answer without the calculator.

Obviously, these super high tech calculator have a good purpose and I definitely could have used one in college, rather than doing things by hand that I already knew how to do. However, in this school they were driven by standardized scores (like I am sure most schools are) and they just tried to teach these kids the simplest way to get an answer.

Quite frankly, after that experience, I could never be a teacher. I tried my best to be creative with these kids and I made an effort to teach them without using a calculator. Unfortunately, many of them were used to the ****ing calculator that they couldn't even do simple division at times! I always engaged my groups. I can't imagine having to do teaching full time. Dealing with the administration that doesn't always support you is also bullshit. Unfortunately, at the end, it's all about those numbers, which is why I think many teachers lose their passion.

There will always be teachers that are bad apples, but many of my friends that went into the education field, actually really care about their kids. I am sure at some point, most of them will be worn down by the restrictions administration imposes and most will lose their passion for teaching.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono90
    Does anyone here agree with me that the kid went over the line and he should be disciplined?
    Oh absolutely. But his points remain valid.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Oh absolutely. But his points remain valid.
    Then why should he be disciplined? Students not being able to challenge teachers is the reason they don't give a fvck.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Then why should he be disciplined? Students not being able to challenge teachers is the reason they don't give a fvck.
    He coyodve had a debate with the teacher about it, not storm off the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    He coyodve had a debate with the teacher about it, not storm off the classroom.
    She told him to leave...

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    It's not the teacher's fault and it's not the fault of the kid either. The problem lies in the curriculum: teachers are supposed to follow it to the tee, which means they can't teach creatively or they will get fired, and since they can't teach it creatively, the kids can't engage it creatively, hence why they get bored.

The main job of the teacher is to teach the curriculum and keep the students in line with it through discipline.

The true purpose of the curriculum is not to teach, but to control the behaviors of the student.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    It's not the teacher's fault and it's not the fault of the kid either. The problem lies in the curriculum: teachers are supposed to follow it to the tee, which means they can't teach creatively or they will get fired, and since they can't teach it creatively, the kids can't engage it creatively, hence why they get bored.

The main job of the teacher is to teach the curriculum and keep the students in line with it through discipline.

The true purpose of the curriculum is not to teach, but to control the behaviors of the student.
    Thats all well and good.. but Im just saying if the kid was saying something true without being offensive(calling her a bitch, throwing something etc.) then why should he be punished for speaking the truth?