Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Raising the minimum wage is going to kill a ton

of the mom and pop restaurants, cleaning companies, landscaping, etc. etc.

This is why i don't understand why Dem's are pushing this right now. Well i get it in the respect that they'll get a lot more minority votes of working class citizens but they can't be so naive to think every business can afford a few extra dollars more PER employee they have doing menial tasks. To think every restaurant is going to have to pay each peeler, bus boy, dish washer, etc. etc. a few dollars more PER HOUR PER EMPLOYEE is going to run most of them out of business.

That is not even factoring in the business taxes business's have to pay already between payroll, unemployment, workers comp, withholding, etc.

I don't even know how some of the restaurants i see that are half dead with 5-6 waiters are even surviving right now. To think the 5-6~ tables with customers tabs are supposed to make up for those 5-6 waiters along with the cost of food, taxes, overhead, etc. just makes no sense how some of the places i drive by stay in business.

I swear so many of the Dem's in office are out of touch fiscally but its easy to pretend like everyone lives to government employee standards. i'm 100% with them on social issues, just can't understand how they can push something like this at this time when many of those smaller type of businesses that rely on low end labor are going to die, when they're already hurting.

I just feel like the Dem politicians are shooting themselves in the foot with this in the long term. kills me how i have to side with Republicans fiscally way too often.
    Last edited by Godzuki; 04-30-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: Raising the minimum wage is going to kill a ton

getting paid 7 dollars an hour is a crime against humanity.

It got blocked anyways.

This was aimed at Walmart.

Banned

I was hoping they would raise minimum wage because I would be asking for a raise too. If I am getting paid more than the minimum due to my skill, shouldn't I be compensated too if the minimum goes up.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I was hoping they would raise minimum wage because I would be asking for a raise too. If I am getting paid more than the minimum due to my skill, shouldn't I be compensated too if the minimum goes up.
    not how it would work unless your pay was above minimum but below the wage they are raising it to.

I don't totally agree with raising the minimum wage but I can't think of a better alternative so I can't really say I oppose it either

i hope they end up raising it. 10.10 sounds a lot better when I do get a job

You know how I know Godzuki knows nothing about business?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    You know how I know Godzuki knows nothing about business?
    why are ISH responses always like this? basically a know it all condescending statement half put down without any explanation?

by all means tell me how....i'll be amused by the flawed blanket stats you're going to throw out without breaking it down on a realistic level i did. you probably don't even know all of the government taxes/insurance related to payroll business's are already paying and have to pay....
    Last edited by Godzuki; 04-30-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki

This is why i don't understand why Dem's are pushing this right now. Well i get it in the respect that they'll get a lot more minority votes of working class
    They knew it was gonna be blocked.

but they can't be so naive to think every business can afford a few extra dollars more PER employee they have doing menial tasks.
    All it will lead to is less tipping and and higher prices.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzly
    They knew it was gonna be blocked.

All it will lead to is less tipping and and higher prices.

less jobs as well. there is just no way every business can account for a 30%+ increase in payroll, which then gets taxed, and like i said unempoyment and workers comp, including withholding are based on payroll.

the most ridiculous thing is the government is taking away what most people should be earning and could earn if they got rid of a lot of the taxes related to payrolls, where the business's would have no problem giving that money to their employee's.

the government is making more off the increase because payroll is taxed and related to insurances, and throwing all of the cost on the business's. its a disaster waiting to happen...at best every business will be a lot more conscious of how many low end employee's they have working each day. i think many will go under, especially those teetering right now that rely on low end employee's.

So, since you don't want it raised, I can infer that you want it lowered or removed all together, yes?

So, since you don't want it raised, I can infer that you want it lowered or removed all together, yes?
    Should be removed completely. Would be far easier for youngsters to get started in life if they weren't all working for free as interns because their labour is worth **** all. I'd rather work for $5 an hour than for nothing, as a lot of people are forced to do because they can't get proper jobs without an abundance of experience.

NBA Superstar

you mean the minimum wage right? I am fine where its at, even maybe okay with a 25 cent - $1~ raise but a $3~ raise?

there is a lot more to it than everyone being richer. you're killing off the small business's the most who don't make nearly as much as the big corporations. McDonalds has all of the money to afford this but i feel real sorry for the small restaurants, cleaning services, and any company not already doing very well for themselves that require a lot of low end employee's I keep thinking restaurant since they need peelers, cooks, waiters, hosts, dishwashers, etc..

to make up for -$3/hour x #employee's + more business taxing/insurance costs IS going to have some real obvious negative consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    you're killing off the small business's the most who don't make nearly as much as the big corporations. McDonalds has all of the money to afford this but i feel real sorry for the small restaurants, cleaning services, and any company not already doing very well for themselves that require a lot of low end employee's I keep thinking restaurant since they need peelers, cooks, waiters, hosts, dishwashers, etc..

to make up for -$3/hour x #employee's + more business taxing/insurance costs IS going to have some real obvious negative consequences.
    Did you ever thought that McDonald's workers will have more money to spend? Maybe they can start to go restaurants once a while.