Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #2011
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: ☆NBA General FA/Trade Ideas | Offseason | Roster

My guess is if the Lakers land that top 3 pick and end up with a guy like Ball then Russell gets moved to Indiana in part of the potential Paul George trade.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #2012
tamaraw08
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
My guess is if the Lakers land that top 3 pick and end up with a guy like Ball then Russell gets moved to Indiana in part of the potential Paul George trade.

I am not sure why some experts are predicting that Fultz is ahead of Ball when clearly he is not a transcendent player who can't help his team elevate and be atleast decent.

Ball on the other hand have transformed UCLA into a legit team (they were terrible last year). IMO, he is perfect next to IT bec of his size and his ability to take SGs. His court vision is excellent, finding those open shooters etc and he can really penetrate.
I just don't see Boston passing up on Lonzo.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #2013
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I am not sure why some experts are predicting that Fultz is ahead of Ball when clearly he is not a transcendent player who can't help his team elevate and be atleast decent.

Ball on the other hand have transformed UCLA into a legit team (they were terrible last year). IMO, he is perfect next to IT bec of his size and his ability to take SGs. His court vision is excellent, finding those open shooters etc and he can really penetrate.
I just don't see Boston passing up on Lonzo.

Fultz is more athletic, quicker and faster (maybe stronger) so that often translates very well to the NBA. Look at Westbrook, Wall, Kyrie, etc. Ball is more like D'Angelo Russell from athletic perspective - not as athletic. I do think Ball is a better true point though.. Ball fits Celtics better than Fultz. I prefer Ball on Lakers so hoping Celtics take Fultz.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #2014
tamaraw08
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Fultz is more athletic, quicker and faster (maybe stronger) so that often translates very well to the NBA. Look at Westbrook, Wall, Kyrie, etc. Ball is more like D'Angelo Russell from athletic perspective - not as athletic. I do think Ball is a better true point though.. Ball fits Celtics better than Fultz. I prefer Ball on Lakers so hoping Celtics take Fultz.

All those players you mentioned led their teams to relative success including Westbrook who went to the Final Four, only to lose to a veteran team led my Noah, Brewer and Horford all went the NBA.
Even the freakin Russell lead his team to 24-11 record.
I'm not sure I agree about the Russell/Ball comparison. Yes, D'angelo had a decent 5 assist/game but also tend to dominate the ball, unlike Lonzo who is quick to give the rock to an open teammate. The Bruin also is quicker and can penetrate better IMO while Russell has a better shooting form.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #2015
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
All those players you mentioned led their teams to relative success including Westbrook who went to the Final Four, only to lose to a veteran team led my Noah, Brewer and Horford all went the NBA.
Even the freakin Russell lead his team to 24-11 record.
I'm not sure I agree about the Russell/Ball comparison. Yes, D'angelo had a decent 5 assist/game but also tend to dominate the ball, unlike Lonzo who is quick to give the rock to an open teammate. The Bruin also is quicker and can penetrate better IMO while Russell has a better shooting form.

I haven't seen them play more than couple times so my opinion is limited. From my limited exposure, I just felt like Fultz is more athletic and Ball is more fluid as a point. Russell was not what you would consider athletic but I guess he wasn't a pure pg either - - Russell was more hybrid. This is why I would prefer Ball in some ways because we know what his role is and how he fits. D'Angelo is hard to know how his role will be down the road.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #2016
tamaraw08
Good college starter

Quote:
I haven't seen them play more than couple times so my opinion is limited. From my limited exposure, I just felt like Fultz is more athletic and Ball is more fluid as a point. Russell was not what you would consider athletic but I guess he wasn't a pure pg either - - Russell was more hybrid. This is why I would prefer Ball in some ways because we know what his role is and how he fits. D'Angelo is hard to know how his role will be down the road.
Found this when I wanted to know more about Fultz- Draftnet.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/markelle-fultz
Quote:
Strengths: A 6’5 combo guard with elite level skills and athleticism … Has ideal size and length for the position. Good athleticism and a solid body ... Lightning quick first step and changes directions extremely well ... Creativity is one of his trademarks ... Solid leaping ability especially off of one foot. Extremely agile with standout body control ... Attacks gaps in the defense and takes it hard to the rim with aggression. Finishes well through contact. Good slashing ability. Gets where he wants off the dribble and uses screens well … Good court vision and passing ability ... Can score for himself as well as make plays for others ... Very streaky. Has the ability to heat up quickly and go on big runs ... Good pull up jump shot from three … Plays well in transition, using his imagination and creativity well … Draws fouls and gets to the free throw line with ease … Can fill up the stat sheet in all categories ... Rebounds and blocks shots well for a guard … Tough and willing defender; shows great potential with his size, length, and quickness ... Anticipates and jumps passing lanes … Plays with great confidence … A competitor ...

Weaknesses: Jump shot has improved and he can fill it up from outside but is a bit of a streaky shooter ... For a guard with a scoring mentality, he has room to become more consistent … Doesn’t score much from midrange at this point, usually all three pointers or getting all the way to the rim ... Good at challenging the defense at the rim but doesn’t show much of a floater … Hits difficult shots but should look to improve his shot selection at the next level … Has added some strength to his body but his legs could still stand to add strength ... Has a star quality and attitude but will need to continue to develop his leadership abilities ...

Outlook: Fultz is entering his freshman season at Washington. A late bloomer who played junior varsity as a high school sophomore, but blossomed into one of the top prospects in the 2017 draft class. Fultz earned MVP of the FIBA Americas Championship in Chile to earn gold averaging 13.8 points, four rebounds, 5.2 assists, and 3.2 steals per game while shooting 54.7% from the field.
It's weird that I don't these strengths(underlined) from Russell. Yes all 3 are tall for their position and that they can shoot but... both Harden and D-Russ are also bad on defense.
Going back on Markell, it just bothers the heck out of me that his team has a very bad record. I mean if you have the best talent in the coming draft, you should be able to will your team to victories by using all the skills you have including leadership,defense, rebounding etc etc. It's not like other team sports where you rely heavily on your teammates. You play both sides of the court, you get steals, you manufacture points from the FT line, you collect rebs, you shut down the guy you are guarding....

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 03-18-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #2017
qrich
King Heno

My Sweet 16 Mock

Tatum/Morris in Round 1 make y'all happy? Or would Jackson be the selection at 3, assuming no trades occur?

And if you want to know anything about Ball-Fultz, ask away, I saw both play over 20 games (admittedly, am biased toward Ball and think Fultz is overrated).
qrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #2018
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Since the Lakers just picked Ingram #2 last season it would seem like they wouldn't be thrilled if they had to pick Jackson or Tatum. I would also think the Suns who have a ton of good guards would probably want a good wing player. I think Ball is probably the best fit in LA, but Fultz would be very good too. Then I could definitely see them moving on from Russell or Clarkson, with the likeliness being sending Russell and possibly Ingram to Indiana in a Paul George trade. Even without a PG trade, I think he could end up just coming to LA in free agency eventually so drafting Tatum and Jackson doesn't make sense there either.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #2019
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Since the Lakers just picked Ingram #2 last season it would seem like they wouldn't be thrilled if they had to pick Jackson or Tatum. I would also think the Suns who have a ton of good guards would probably want a good wing player. I think Ball is probably the best fit in LA, but Fultz would be very good too. Then I could definitely see them moving on from Russell or Clarkson, with the likeliness being sending Russell and possibly Ingram to Indiana in a Paul George trade. Even without a PG trade, I think he could end up just coming to LA in free agency eventually so drafting Tatum and Jackson doesn't make sense there either.

I will be disappointed if we can't get Fultz or Ball tbh.. Russell that we see now is not what I was expecting to see when we drafted him.. I am no longer sold on Russell being the star we were looking for. If we get Fultz or Ball, we can move on from Russell.. If we get the 3rd pick then we would probably have to stay with Russell and draft Jackson or something..I don't like this situation very much
Old 03-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #2020
qrich
King Heno

Quote:

I can't fathom Phoenix justifying to its fan base why they would prefer to keep Bledsoe & Knight over Ball to move down for Jackson/Tatum. In fact, Knight has one foot out the door, and Bledsoe isn't very well liked by the majority of fans (disappointed as they expected him to be something he isn't).

But yeah, this does put the Lakers in a tough spot. The issue is that Los Angeles just has way too much youth and need to determine who deserves to stay, and who doesn't.

What do you think of Monte Morris though?

Quote:
I will be disappointed if we can't get Fultz or Ball tbh.. Russell that we see now is not what I was expecting to see when we drafted him.. I am no longer sold on Russell being the star we were looking for. If we get Fultz or Ball, we can move on from Russell.. If we get the 3rd pick then we would probably have to stay with Russell and draft Jackson or something..I don't like this situation very much

It wasn't a rig job by me, trust
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #2021
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Totally agree. And it's not a knock on Jackson as he may be the most NBA ready of the 3. I would only move on from Russell in the case they can trade for a guy like Paul George. PG's take about 3 years before they're really solid in the league. Russell didn't get a ton of usage last season. I feel like he would pair up well with Ball or Fultz too. If they can't land one of those guys possibly trading down and looking at Smith, Fox, or Ntilikina would be smart too. Of course those ping pong balls are going to have to work out in their favor first....
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #2022
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Totally agree. And it's not a knock on Jackson as he may be the most NBA ready of the 3. I would only move on from Russell in the case they can trade for a guy like Paul George. PG's take about 3 years before they're really solid in the league. Russell didn't get a ton of usage last season. I feel like he would pair up well with Ball or Fultz too. If they can't land one of those guys possibly trading down and looking at Smith, Fox, or Ntilikina would be smart too. Of course those ping pong balls are going to have to work out in their favor first....

I don't know how Russell would pair with Ball.. That would force Russell to play the 2-guard, which I don't think he can defend.. At least Fultz can play the 2-guard with his athleticism, which is slightly more than Ball. Ball afaik can only play PG. I think Ball will be the better PG in the end so if I had a choice, I would draft Ball and then try to trade Russell.

I wonder if there is any way for us to land George or Butler or someone without giving up Ingram... Russell, Clarkson, Lakers next year 1st round pick and maybe even Rockets 1st round pick we acquired for Lou.. I dunno if that is enough..
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #2023
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
I don't know how Russell would pair with Ball.. That would force Russell to play the 2-guard, which I don't think he can defend.. At least Fultz can play the 2-guard with his athleticism, which is slightly more than Ball. Ball afaik can only play PG. I think Ball will be the better PG in the end so if I had a choice, I would draft Ball and then try to trade Russell.

I wonder if there is any way for us to land George or Butler or someone without giving up Ingram... Russell, Clarkson, Lakers next year 1st round pick and maybe even Rockets 1st round pick we acquired for Lou.. I dunno if that is enough..

Lonzo can guard the two-guards with Russell on the points if it comes down to it. He has good size (6'6) and while he may not be Dennis Smith/Fultz-athletic, he doesn't lack athleticism by any means.

He also would be able to play off the ball and often does with Isaac, Aaron and Bryce running "point" for decent portions of Bruin games. He has a reliable (ugly) jumper and knows when to cut.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: