Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plyometrics: P90x Routine

I just got started on this program. Has anyone ever used it or any other kind of plyometric routine?

I've heard that you can see results after only 2 or 3 sessions over the course of 10-14 days. I find that hard to believe, but the first workout left me pretty sore for a day and a half. Its pretty intense.

Its the first time I dabbled into plyometrics or any serious workout routine, so I guess I'd would work faster since theres a lot of muscles that haven't been targeted before.

Lets GO PENS!

Default Re: Plyometrics: P90x Routine

link

Quote Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
    I just got started on this program. Has anyone ever used it or any other kind of plyometric routine?

I've heard that you can see results after only 2 or 3 sessions over the course of 10-14 days. I find that hard to believe, but the first workout left me pretty sore for a day and a half. Its pretty intense.

Its the first time I dabbled into plyometrics or any serious workout routine, so I guess I'd would work faster since theres a lot of muscles that haven't been targeted before.
    i have it, its a pretty good program although i dont stick with it strictly. i kinda do the program on my off days when im not at the gym. its alot easier after the first week if you just started. look into www.crossfit.com as well. its free. thats an excellent program. theres a video on there somewhere of bj penn goining thru the program and they asked him if it was as tough as a fight. penn said that it felt more like he had just been in a fight that he lost badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    link
    All I got is DVD from my bball coach...

Anyone done polymetrics before?

College superstar

I've done them, especially back when I used to be able to jump really high. Aside from helping you jump higher, you'll get off the ground faster. A good example is somebody like Shawn Marion, Kenyon Martin, and Amare Stoudemire and how announcers always comment they can jump twice while the other guy is still bending his knees powering up to jump (Dampier an example of that). The scientific term for it is stretch myotic reflex, which is a function of your central nervous system as well as your muscles (primarily the posterior chain).

They're best combined with weight training, but I don't know how old you are or how comfortable you are with some of the more complex compound olympic lifts like deadlifts, squats, lunges, hang cleans, and the like.

I did Jump For Sts which is almost entirely box jumps, varied to add a bit of agility/dynamic balance training.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
    All I got is DVD from my bball coach...

Anyone done polymetrics before?
    Yes I did plyometrics for years training for basketball through high school and college. To be honest, plyometrics help alot, at first, but they can really damage your knees and put too much stress on your joints. I would suggest jumping rope once a week, doing plyometrics once a week, lifting legs once or twice a week, doing defensive slides/running once a week and playing alot of ball..too much jumping could actually decrease your vertical eventually.

Right now, I'm playing ball about 3 days a week. Biking a little bit everyday. And doing polymetrics 2 days.

I just did the full hour long workout and feel really tired. Not too sore and no strained muscles like I felt after the first time I did it (and that was only 30 minutes long).

How long should I expect to see effects? My coach is saying I should be able to tell the difference after my 3rd workout

College superstar

What are the names of the exercises in it? I'm always interested in trying to find out if there's some new movements out there I haven't tried yet.

By the way, do you have AIM? I wanna send you something.

And don't let anybody tell you you can't do it. I went from having a 24 inch vertical the first time I measured it, on my 16th birthday, to my first dunk (mathematically it'd take about 33 inches for me to be able to dunk with my 7'8 reach at the time) the next summer, to at my highest point I was legitimately at 42 (could dunk off a vertical leap, 2 hands off 1 step, windmill, offglass catch it backwards, from outside the paint lefty leaners, all kind of dunks), then back to now back down into the mid 30s. And I come from a family that has no athleticism on either side. In fact, obesity and the ensuing hypokinetic diseases are hereditary for me.

Local High School Star

Datz, are you still gonna make that vert website you were talkin about a while back? I'm just trying to find a decent plyo routine..I increased my strength quite a bit (squat and deadlift) these past few months. I'm up to 2x bodyweight with squats.. just gotta work on explosiveness now and maybe I can throw one down

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

i used aa3 once, never messed up my knees and after about 8 weeks off half-assed work on my part i still got about 3-4 inches .

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mhg88
    Datz, are you still gonna make that vert website you were talkin about a while back? I'm just trying to find a decent plyo routine..I increased my strength quite a bit (squat and deadlift) these past few months. I'm up to 2x bodyweight with squats.. just gotta work on explosiveness now and maybe I can throw one down
    I forgot all about that. I can still do it at some point. I still have to finish this site for my dude who manages all these Streetball dudes and his foundation. There's actually tons of good stuff on youtube. Just search plyometrics and then search jumpsoles, most of those exercises are more effective without them actually anyways.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    I forgot all about that. I can still do it at some point. I still have to finish this site for my dude who manages all these Streetball dudes and his foundation. There's actually tons of good stuff on youtube. Just search plyometrics and then search jumpsoles, most of those exercises are more effective without them actually anyways.
    Alright man, I'll have to take a look. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    What are the names of the exercises in it? I'm always interested in trying to find out if there's some new movements out there I haven't tried yet.
    Just let a teammatre borrow the DVD. As soon as I get it back, I'll write down the exercises.

Off the top of my head: Army March, Something called ski poles, towel run, a catch and shoot type drill, a baseball pitch turned into a hop landing in a squat, some 2 word exercise with woman's name...I can't really remember most of the names right now. I only did it with the DVD once, did it with my coach before that.

I'm doing something called the SKY JUMP program. It's some cheap one my coach picked up off the internet and gave to the whole team. I figured I might as well give it a go. It really does work though, and I've improved 4 inches in the last 2 and a half weeks, no joke. The excersizes are really simple, and it takes, at most, 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week. The excersizes get longer in length, for example, one week, you'll do jump rope 100 times, and then next week 200, and so on and so on.

There's four excersizes:
    Jump Rope
    Bench Blasts
    Squats
    Calf Raises

Right now, I have a 26 inch vert and I started off with a 22 inch vert a couple weeks back. I haven't officially measured yet, but I measured again yesterday to see how close I was to my previous mark, and I managed to touch about half an inch over it.. so I'm still improving at a good. I suggest looking this up on the internet, it's pretty good.

LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Dude stop the plyo now.

I've worked with this PT for a good 3 months now, he was certified together with the guys running the Phoenix Suns now.

Their entire program is directed toward plyometrics, however, their studies/beliefs have concluded that unless you are aptly prepared (able to do a one leg squat, at least 1 min of planking, an extremely strong core, stability training, balance training, and a whole lot of other ****), you should NOT by any means be doing plyo.

There have been stories of a ****load of athletes having their careers cut short because of doing plyo unprepared.

Also, once you are prepared, plyo should only be done for a maximum of 2-3 weeks in a year, or that's how I understood it.

This is what I understand from how he explained it to me. Have a session with him tonight, I'll get more info for you by tomorrow.