Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Was the NBA truly better back then or are we all just nostalgic?

2010's> 2000's for sure.

I started watching the NBA religiously in 1999, I can say that these past few years are the best ball I've watched ever.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    2010's> 2000's for sure.

I started watching the NBA religiously in 1999, I can say that these past few years are the best ball I've watched ever.
    lol

Star power is at a low

Players came in the league with better fundamentals due to spending more time in college.

Just F*cking Nostalgia. We have more talented point guards and perimeter players right now. The Center position will be much stronger if Jahlil Okafor and Karl towns live up to their hype.

it was just different. anyone who tells you otherwise is just young and naive or old and set in their ways. depending upon the type of basketball you prefer, that's when it was/is better.

if you like high flying athletic open lanes and 3 point jacking, today's your game.

if you like high iq basketball with sexy sets that work the ball inside and solid interior play on both sides of the court, pastime bbal if 4 u.

i think it's pretty obvioud where i stand, but ain't it the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    lol

Star power is at a low
    Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that team basketball has never been this good maybe since the 80's. Team defense is at its best too even tho the pace has picked up.

You really can't compare both eras, because the game hasn't evolved, but rather it was made different by the rule changes.

I remember last years playoffs the NBA set a new record for 4 point plays. And why? Because of more new rules that made it that much harder for the defender.

It's like a video game, you can set the difficulty to easy setting, where you would just shoot 3 pointers or dunk, because you're not being challenged. Or you can set the difficulty to its hardest setting, and be forced to create plays to score.

This is not a dis on the players, since it's not their fault.

College superstar

A few people have mentioned my points, but whatever.. a forum is a place for everyone to mention their opinions, right?

I don't miss the "goonish" actions, or the fights.

But I do think that the PC era has gone a little bit too far; I miss the trash talk, the toughness, the "street ball" aspects.

When AI steps over Tyronn Lue, that's "alpha", "nasty", etc.
    If Lebron did that to Gordon Hayward, PTI and SportsNation, etc, would be up in arms about how disrespectful he was, how he should apologize.. then Lebron (or any other star player in question) would run to Twitter to apologize and be like "yo man, we're friends. We're bros".

Is it disrespectful? Of course. But it's part of the game. Don't play if you can't handle it.

Essentially.. there's minimal good "theater".

Its impossible to really tell. Nostalgia plays a huge part.

60s- end of the golden era. High skills with average athleticism. Guys that were very athletic could dominate with decent skills.

70s - athletic infusion. Skills were at a high level since skills were all there was for the league beforehand.

80's - peak of skills before the obsession with athleticism that led to strong streetball but weak elite talent.

90's - worst era in modern times. Uncreative offense because of bad skill levels and trends in slower defensive games. Jordan's 80s influence put him over the top.

00's - with Jordan gone, the league had to open it up for less skilled players to flourish. Luckily, new players with skills came in at the same time.

10's - Shooting is back and the league has a lot of skilled players but its perimeter based and not at the 80s level. Fast-tempo is flourishing but now the inside game is suffering and some think the center position is dead. Also lack of inside game and spoiled rich players are bringing a whitecollar primadonna attitude to the game.
    Last edited by 305Baller; 08-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.

The league is stronger than it's ever been. Thing is all the talents jam packed in 1 conference instead of spread out. That's why we'll never see a team like the Heat or 90s Bulls out West making back to back to back to back finals runs like its nothing.
    Last edited by G0ATbe; 08-10-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    The league is stronger than it's ever been. Thing is all the talents jam packed in 1 conference instead of spread out. That's why we'll never see a team like the Heat or 90s Bulls out West making back to back to back to back finals runs like its nothing.
    But the Heat just went to 4 straight finals and Bron personally made 5 straight trips. The NBA is not just one conference.

The disparity between the conferences is at its worst since the merger back in the 70s, the center position is at its weakest point since the 60s, and the league has turned players into soul-less automaton KIA salesmen.

Feel sorry for those who didn't grow up through the 90s era.

Lol at those who think today's era is better

More trash talk, fights/scuffles, better Dunkers, more fundamentally skilled, and more entertaining playoffs with more polarising stars.

90s >>>>> all eras. Perhaps 80s rivals it but I was too young for half that era.
    Last edited by poido123; 08-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.

The NBA should just cut the eastern conference, everybody would say this is the GOAT era if only the 15 west teams would play.

College superstar

I've been jonesing for ball and have been watching pretty much all the "classic" games on NBATv. These are historic games and they still look AWFUL compared to normal games of today.

I don't think the game has ever been better. Partly the rules have opened up the game. Partly massive amounts of money have come into the game and made the rewards for play out of this world (Dr J never made 1.5M/). The best trainers, physicians, coaches are all in the mix now when they wouldn't have been 20 years ago, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    But the Heat just went to 4 straight finals and Bron personally made 5 straight trips. The NBA is not just one conference.

The disparity between the conferences is at its worst since the merger back in the 70s, the center position is at its weakest point since the 60s, and the league has turned players into soul-less automaton KIA salesmen.

Not to mention unless I'm hallucinating we all saw some of the fu*king worst basketball in a long time during these past playoffs.

People are mistaking athleticism, individual talent for "better basketball".

You've got guards right now (and a good amount) that cannot make a midrange jump shot. What seems like too many that cannot shoot free throws. And footwork is becoming scarce.

I don't know if it's because kids are coming in too young or what but it's showing.