Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: So I'm Playing NBA 2K8....

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Instinct
    You guys should try this. I noticed, when a shooter is attempting a jumper, they actually miss more(in select games) when you DON'T contest the shot. LJJ stated that earlier, but I'd never paid it any mind. Wtf?
    I can vouche that that's true. I used to get whatever player I was controlling on D in foul trouble all the time trying to contest shots. Now I still try occasionally to block a shot, but more often than not if my player is in danger of getting in a foul situation, I just face the defender and don't hit the block button. They miss a LOT of shots anyways, particularly on fast breaks.

Mathius

I love 2k8. Hof maode is hard especailly against the magic, Rockets, Lakers, and suns...How do you guys score so much... thats insane on hof the most i scored on hof was 80 something and i won by like 4 or 5...
    You guys gotta remember this isnt real life it is a videogame ... Ray Ray stinks in that game...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    I love 2k8. Hof maode is hard especailly against the magic, Rockets, Lakers, and suns...How do you guys score so much... thats insane on hof the most i scored on hof was 80 something and i won by like 4 or 5...
    You guys gotta remember this isnt real life it is a videogame ... Ray Ray stinks in that game...
    12 minute quarters with the Cavs.

I have Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Lebron James, Brandon Wright, Z, Tony Allen, Devin Brown, Billy Thomas, Lindsey Hunter, James Jones, Kwame Brown, and Stromile Swift on my active roster.

It's pretty simple, drive and post up mostly. Occasionally kick out for an open shot. Focus on good defense and rebounding, and push the ball. Lebron's averaging 40/12/9, Rudy is averaging 30/10/10.... that's 70 points right there.

Oh, and I play on HOF also, unless for some reason I start a new game and forget to change the default.

Mathius

I play 9 minute quarters on HoF mode and the games come out with fairly accurate game stats. Usually around 100 points.

Also, I'm really into simulation so I'm calling plays every time down the court. I'll either call a set play or just run a quick play (pick and roll, post up, pick and pop, etc). On defense I play the paint. I'll usually play the PF or C, and gaurd their best player, helping on anything else around the rim, especially rebounding. The CPU does a decent job covering perimeter players, and as already stated, actually getting into the face of shooters doesn't do much.

My primary strategy against a really good team (especially in the playoffs) is to feed a post player hard until they start to double. Once they double I start swinging the ball, nailing threes, and getting open drives. It's a fairly straight forward strategy, but it works well most of the time.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I play 9 minute quarters on HoF mode and the games come out with fairly accurate game stats. Usually around 100 points.

Also, I'm really into simulation so I'm calling plays every time down the court. I'll either call a set play or just run a quick play (pick and roll, post up, pick and pop, etc). On defense I play the paint. I'll usually play the PF or C, and gaurd their best player, helping on anything else around the rim, especially rebounding. The CPU does a decent job covering perimeter players, and as already stated, actually getting into the face of shooters doesn't do much.

My primary strategy against a really good team (especially in the playoffs) is to feed a post player hard until they start to double. Once they double I start swinging the ball, nailing threes, and getting open drives. It's a fairly straight forward strategy, but it works well most of the time.
    I never call plays unless I need an intentional foul. I just don't see the point when the offense pretty much does what it's going to. You can pretty much pick your spots without having to run a play. Sometimes its annoying when the guy you want isn't where you want him, but it isn't a big deal.

I used to run plays back in the day on the old school consoles once in a while, so I do see that they can be beneficial, it just isn't really necessary unless you're trying to pad a certain players stats.

I usually set my defense on automatic and my offense and intentional fouls on manual.

I should mention that I usually play with charging turned down to 5 and "out of bounds" turned off.

Reason being, I hate the unrealistic charging calls that you can't seem to control one way or another, and the sideline is so narrow by the bottom and top of the three point arc that I don't want to be called for a bunch of unnecessary out of bounds calls that ruin the experience. It IS kind've funny when guys try to do the out of bounds save when the out of bounds is turned off.

Mathius

I am Chris Wilcox

I play 12 minute quarters and have just recently gone up to the highest level (HOF is it?) and they are the most accurate and realistic games I have had. When I played on the 2nd to highest level, I was finishing games with 125+ points. Now, the games are finishing between 90-110, which is a much more realistic score, especially for an uptempo team like the Grizzlies.

What annoys me though, is that with certain styles of shots, you have to release the shot button at different times. For example, with Mike Conley's shot, you have to hold onto the shot button in order to increase the accuracy, where as someone like Kyle Lowry, you have to release the shot button rather early in order to increase the accuracy. I find that annoying as hell.

I also hate how when the CPU gets hot, they just don't miss at all. Even if they take 20 shots, they will make 20 shots, even with my defense smothering them and even fouling them, they will still make the shot.

It's annoying how guys like Jason Williams can score 30+ points against you, but guys like Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, Duncan, KG et cetera, have trouble getting 10 points, yet there are averaging 20-30 points for the season.

I've also had to alter the sliders for the rebounding, because if they are left at default, then I can't grab any and the opposition finishes with 50+ boards. So I altered the rebounding to, 75 for my offensive and defensive rebounding and 25 for the CPU's offensive and defensive rebounding. This has allowed for much more realistic rebouding totals and both teams finishing with roughly equal reboudning totals.

Local High School Star Sicknote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Instinct
    It can be rewarding, when you strike gold and get than one REALISTIC game. When your team shoots 46% for 93 points and the computer shoots 47% for 89 points.
    http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-realism.html

Realistic sliders, most of my games are like the one you talked about above, of course there are the oddballs that go into the 114-120 range but that's the max, even in OT.

/edit: The FG%, 3%, A:T, Assists, Rebounds are generally all spot on with that. I've averaging 18-10 with D Will and 22-12 with Boozer, 9 with Ronnie Brewer, Korver with 12, and Okur with about 18. The rest of my team usually gets about 5 unless someone (Okur blew up for 29 last game) has a really good game.
    Last edited by Sicknote; 07-04-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Can anyone offer any tips for playing defense? I have only played maybe 10 or 15 games total (on regular difficulty i assume) but I always seem to get my ass kicked by the computer.

Very good NBA starter

The only defensive tip I can give you is doing play the Miami Heat. Apperently, in every single basketball simulation franchise, he is Michael Jordan. Start off by playing the all star teams.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Can anyone offer any tips for playing defense? I have only played maybe 10 or 15 games total (on regular difficulty i assume) but I always seem to get my ass kicked by the computer.
    I don't know what the hell v-unit tried to say. I think he typo'ed or something, but I'll give it a shot...

Always make sure you're controlling a guy that's on screen. I know that sounds basic, but it's not hard to get beat by a defender that was wide open because you couldn't see them.

Don't necessarily worry about playing on the ball. Playing the passing lanes can get you some valuable turnovers. Just don't gamble where you can't recover. If you jump out in front to intercept a pass and miss, you can often leave the guy wide open.

Post defend whenever possible. It's the easiest way to make sure your defender is covered is when you're body to body with him.

And like we already said, you don't have to necessarily jump up and try to block a shot, just make sure you're in front of the defender and you have just as good a shot, if not better, because you're less likely to foul.

Go for a "ball steal" if you want, but be careful, you can easily get into foul trouble that way.

Most importantly, always keep your defender between the ball and the basket, and box out so you can be sure to get the rebound.

Mathius

Very good NBA starter

I meant don't play the Heat because Jason Williams always plays great while the real stars never play well. So it's like you play the All Star Team because they are ALL stars, and the stars in 2K8 don't play well.

Get it?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit
    I meant don't play the Heat because Jason Williams always plays great while the real stars never play well. So it's like you play the All Star Team because they are ALL stars, and the stars in 2K8 don't play well.

Get it?

D-wade is unstoppable in the game. I put him at the point and post up on fools at point guard and take hook shots and stuff. I drive, post, and abuse PG's on Hall of fame with D-Whistle.

Instead of playing with a really good team like Miami, I play with Portland. But I went and edited Roy, Oden and Aldridge so their ratings are in the mid 90s, since I can see the future

So far on my new overpowered Portland Association I have gone 3-1. Lost my first game vs S.A., won 3 in a row after that. Pro difficulty and 12 min quarters. Oden is averaging 20-20 and 3 blocks, Roy is at 33-5-5. Aldridge is around 29-6
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 07-05-2008 at 02:06 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Wozza_wade's Avatar

Default nba 2k8 online

going to be playing online in 2 hours approx anyone fancy a game?

also any news on getting the new rookies on the game?

Mi a badmon !

Default Re: nba 2k8 online

No one can beat me at nba 2k8.. just ask Gobb :) . My gamertag is Evinecz, unfortunately i cannot play you as my live subscription is finished and im not paying $50 for one right now..lol